You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-07 22:23:18

oiad

[SOLVED] what to do when ABS is out of date?

I just have a quick question on what the best method for updating a program when ABS is out of date.  Specifically I'm talking about mythtv.  Version .23 came out almost a month ago, but it has yet to be updated in the extra repo.  I see that there is a version in the AUR, but i am not sure how installing it over my current system will work, and also what happens when the official packages get updated.  I'm just looking for any advice since I do not want to wait any longer for the update.

Thanks

Last edited by oiad (2010-06-18 04:48:27)

#2 2010-06-07 22:26:49

eldragon

Re: [SOLVED] what to do when ABS is out of date?

i built it bumping the version number in the PKGBUILD. it did work (i had to tweak some unneeded configs), yet it has some issues with analog tv.

#3 2010-06-08 03:00:01

oiad

Well that sucks, I use analog tv pretty heavy.  How long does it usually take the repo to update on programs like this?

#4 2010-06-08 03:54:06

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Depends on the maintainer.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-06-08 13:15:38

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

the version of mythtv in the repos is a development build anyway, it's not that outdated...

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#6 2010-06-18 02:53:49

oiad

It's still a version behind and doesn't support the new netvision plugin.   I found a build that has been posted in the AUR but I am curious if it will upgrade off of my install from abs.  Anyone know if it does?  It says it is compatible but I don't know if it would be a clean upgrade or if I would have to reload my db.

#7 2010-06-18 04:46:25

quigybo

As far as getting the package in the repo updated as mentioned above it all depends on the maintainer for that particular package. What you can do to help is go to the homepage, search for the package and flag it as out of date. FYI this has already been done for mythtv.

To upgrade on your own the best way to do it is start from the same PKGBUILD that is used to build the official package through abs. You can find all the info you need on the wiki page.

Typically the PKGBUILDs in the AUR have some different functionality from the main version in the repo, and aren't usually what you are looking for if all you want is a version bump.

It is usually best to remove your installed version before using a version from AUR. Most AUR PKGBUILDs will have conflicts (and provides) for other versions of the same package and thus pacman will give an error when trying to install it. If you are just bumping the version of the same package you will not need to remove it first.

EDIT: You can use pacman -Rd to remove (and replace) a package if others depend on it.

Last edited by quigybo (2010-06-18 04:51:24)

#8 2010-06-18 04:48:12

oiad

Thanks for the info that is what I needed to know.

Board footer