You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-18 00:02:14

GogglesGuy
Website

Extract audio-only from DVD. Which container format?

I've got a couple of music dvd's that contain nice DTS surround sound audio tracks. The video of these DVD's is pretty much uninteresting, so now I'm looking for a way to rip/extract the DTS track from these dvds (without converting them, I want to be able to pass the original DTS to my receiver) and put them in some container format that can easily parsed by music players (ie. it would be nice to have some metadata).

Which container format would be the most suitable? Ogg?

And which tool can do this?

Handbrake forces you to use the video as well, so that's not a viable option.

#2 2010-06-18 01:06:23

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Extract audio-only from DVD. Which container format?

.mka (matroska audio) can handle DTS with metadata. FFmpeg may be able to do this, but I don't have any files to play with.

#3 2010-06-18 03:45:40

GogglesGuy
Website

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. My favorite music player and manager doesn't index mka files yet, but I'll give it a try and see if it works.

#4 2010-06-19 01:15:17

skottish
Forum Fellow

GogglesGuy wrote:

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. My favorite music player and manager doesn't index mka files yet, but I'll give it a try and see if it works.

Don't take my word for it, but I've heard that the developer of the music player that you use is a pretty smart dude. Have you considered e-mailing yourself a feature request?

Board footer