You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-18 15:06:49

MadCat_X

How do x264, mplayer and FFmpeg depend on each other?

Hello there,

I'd finally like to find out how exactly are these three interconnected. I build all of the from the repos and I don't want to run into some weird linking problems. My understanding is that
1) FFmpeg builds against the x264 I have installed in my system. Rebuild of the x264 is likely to require subsequent rebuild of FFmpeg
2) Mplayer builds against the x264 in the same way as FFmpeg
3) Mplayer has it's own FFmpeg implementation and doesn't build against the FFmpeg I have installed

Is my assumption correct?
BTW, does using git version of FFmpeg affect gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg package, or will it just use whatever FFmpeg is available without any problems?

Thanx...

#2 2010-06-18 15:20:17

Nepherte

Re: How do x264, mplayer and FFmpeg depend on each other?

Your 3 assumptions are correct. One sidenote: you can also build mplayer against the ffmpeg you have installed on your system (add --disable-libavcodec_a --disable-libavutil_a --disable-libavformat_a --disable-libpostproc_a and --disable-libswscale_a to the mplayer configure line).

All of the above does not affect gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg and will not use the installed ffmpeg. It relies entirely on its own.

#3 2010-06-18 15:23:15

falconindy
Developer
Website

You can confirm this by looking at the output of 'ldd `which mplayer`'. This will show you everything that mplayer links to. Not on the list? It's either not required or it's statically compiled in.

gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg does not, by Arch's packaging, link to ffmpeg. In fact, if you do link against ffmpeg when building gstreamer (--use-system-ffmpeg), you get a nice fat warning message that what you're about to do cannot be supported by upstream. Offhand I recall that it's an issue of licensing and redistribution.

Last edited by falconindy (2010-06-18 15:25:07)

#4 2010-06-18 15:29:25

wonder
Developer
Website

i said to check with readelf -d file, ldd is listening soname that are loaded by other soname

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#5 2010-06-19 16:50:13

skottish
Forum Fellow

Nepherte wrote:

Your 3 assumptions are correct. One sidenote: you can also build mplayer against the ffmpeg you have installed on your system (add --disable-libavcodec_a --disable-libavutil_a --disable-libavformat_a --disable-libpostproc_a and --disable-libswscale_a to the mplayer configure line).

All of the above does not affect gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg and will not use the installed ffmpeg. It relies entirely on its own.

Mplayer doesn't build against FFmpeg's swscale anymore on this machine. There's something strange going on with how Mplayer attempts to build against it.   

gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg can be built against the system FFmpeg ( --with-system-ffmpeg ) and is preferable in my opinion. HTML5 video renders many times higher quality using the system FFmpeg.

#6 2010-06-19 19:00:36

Nepherte

skottish wrote:

Mplayer doesn't build against FFmpeg's swscale anymore on this machine. There's something strange going on with how Mplayer attempts to build against it.

Odd. It built against ffmpeg's swscale about 3 days ago (haven't tried it today) but I indeed do remember issues with building against it because it used some functions that were not exposed by ffmpeg.

skottish wrote:

gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg can be built against the system FFmpeg ( --with-system-ffmpeg ) and is preferable in my opinion. HTML5 video renders many times higher quality using the system FFmpeg.

I am also in favor of building these things against already available/isntalled libs or programs.

#7 2010-06-19 19:34:49

skottish
Forum Fellow

Nepherte wrote:
skottish wrote:

Odd. It built against ffmpeg's swscale about 3 days ago (haven't tried it today) but I indeed do remember issues with building against it because it used some functions that were not exposed by ffmpeg.

Hey, it's fixed. I knew that this was in the works, but the last time that I tried was a few weeks back. It's funny how many developers work on both FFmpeg and Mplayer, but this was broken by Mplayer's devs. The long and boring discussion on ffmpeg-dev starts with the 'make all the pallette* stuff public'.

Nepherte wrote:
skottish wrote:

I am also in favor of building these things against already available/isntalled libs or programs.

The gstreamer people are very opposed to this, hence the really stupid pause and warning message when building. It's too bad that they like to work harder than they have to and don't want to hear from people that can help.

--EDIT--

The last time before today that I was able to build Mplayer against FFmpeg's swscale was a few weeks before I posted this:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=89732

Board footer