You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-18 20:09:17

sintas

Archlinux installer and dm_crypt

Hello all,

I'm a new convert to Archlinux and (I have a fully installed Arch system now but) I'm a little bit confused on how to set up an encrypted partition via the Archlinux install media (because I would really love to have an encrypted home partition, which currently I don't have).

From the Archlinux wiki ( http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sys … 2009.08.29 ) one notes this statement:

Since Arch Linux 2009.08 the installer supports dm_crypt and LVM (and combination of both) out of the box. Just run the installer as usual, i.e. follow the Official Arch Linux Install Guide or the Beginners' Guide. When you reach the "Prepare Hard Drive(s)" don't use "Auto-Prepare" but set up your partitions manually...

At first select the device corresponding to your unencrypted /boot partition, choose e.g. ext2 as filesystem and select /boot as the mountpoint. For all other partitions you created and which you want to be encrypted select dm_crypt in the filesystem dialog.

However, when configuring my partitions and then selecting a filesystem (by pressing "t") I am not offered dm_crypt?

Thus I must ask: Is dm_crypt labeled something other then dm_crypt in the filesystem menu, or am I misunderstanding how to set up encrypting partitions via the Arch install media?

If it's the latter can some kind soul help me understand what it is that I am misunderstanding, because it seems rather straight forward from the wiki?

Thanks in advance,

sintas

#2 2010-06-20 00:08:04

sintas

Re: Archlinux installer and dm_crypt

Hello all,

So like I figured out where my problem was...

I mistakenly took cfdisk as the tool in which one sets the filesystem (press "t" while in cfdisk), but no there is another step after this (and others as well) in creating an encrypted partition via the Archlinux installer.

Over all it was easy, really big_smile.

However, there is one question I have...

How does one figure out the exact megabytes needed to create a full (full as in all megabytes) partition?

Because when one is setting up the lvm it only offers 5000 megs and it seems that there's a point, in that even though cfdisk states I have X-many megabytes I cannot fully use them, in that I use the exact amount of megs stated by cfdisk the creaction of the lvm partition fails.

Is there a tool for converting disk space or something?

Thanks,

sintas

Board footer