You are not logged in.

#51 2010-06-04 01:10:45

IgnorantGuru
Website

Re: PCManFM Mod - User-Definable Functions

PCManFM-Mod 1.0.1 is now available.  This fixes quite a few complex problems with link-handling in pcmanfm, one of them serious (potential data loss), and also adds a few new features.

* A "Paste as Target" (Alt-Shift-V) command has been added to the edit menu to paste targets of links on the clipboard.  Any normal files on the clipboard will simply be copied.

* A serious bug which caused pcmanfm to overwrite link targets has been corrected.  When copying a file onto an existing link, and opting to overwrite it, pcmanfm would in some cases overwrite the target of the link instead of replacing the link.  In other cases a file with a mangled filename would be created in the target's directory.  Both these problems are now corrected.  Note that this bug can cause data loss so if you're not using mod 1.0.1, be sure to delete links before replacing them - don't attempt to overwrite them.

* When pcmanfm copies a link, it sometimes creates a link who's target's pathname is mangled (due to a char buffer that was not terminated).  I believe this always occurs when copying a broken link, and sometimes occurs with resolvable links.  This bug has been corrected.

* A bug which prevented creating a link to a broken link has been corrected

* Link creation (Paste or drag methods) can now generate an overwrite/rename query instead of the "File Exists" error.  For one, this now allows you to create a link to a file in the file's own directory, renaming it.  It also allows you to directly overwrite files and links with links. 

* A problem with the write permissions in pcmanfm's right-click context menu has been partially corrected.  This determines when Cut, Paste, Delete, and Rename are enabled.  Previously, this was based on whether one selected (focused) file was writable, ignoring other selected files.  Further, if the one selected file was a symlink, the write permissions were erroneously derived from the link's target.  In the case of a broken link, this meant Delete would not be enabled ever.  Another problem - the Edit menu does not dis/enable these items.  The mod now uses the write permissions of the current directory to determine the context menu permissions.  This is not a perfect solution, as the file(s) may still not be writable, but the worst that will happen is you'll get a Permission Denied error, instead of not being able to delete files that you can in fact delete.  The Edit menu was not addressed.

* Finally, the AUR PKGBUILD now prefers gamin over fam (gamin is a depend and fam an optdepend.  But one provides the other so you'll never have both installed).  gamin is actually preferred for pcmanfm.  Also, the PKGBUILD now provides a SHA-256 sum in addition to MD5.

I believe I have cleared up the link-handling, but if you do come across incorrect behavior please let me know.

http://igurublog.wordpress.com/downloads/mod-pcmanfm/
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34819

#52 2010-06-16 20:24:26

IgnorantGuru
Website

PCManFM-Mod version 1.0.2 is available.  This adds and changes a few things:

* It is now possible to drag and drop files into the directory tree side pane.

* A "Copy as Text" command has been added to the Edit menu (Ctrl-Shift-C) to copy quoted filenames of selected files to the clipboard, for pasting into a terminal.

* The Paste as Link, Paste as Target, and the new Copy as Text commands now appear on the right-click menu in addition to the Edit menu.  (Feedback on this is welcome - does it make the right-click menu too busy?  These could also be placed in a "Special" submenu, or omitted from the context menu entirely.)

* User commands in the right-click menu now display icons if they are set in the associated desktop file (just add an "Icon=" line).  (The Tools menu will not display the user command icons.)

* Run Command now tells you to use "%F" to insert all selected files.  %U can also still be used - they are treated the same.

* The source tarball now uses bzip2 (making it over 600MB smaller).

* A composite screenshot of pcmanfm-mod has been added to the webpage...

screenshot-pcmanfm-mod.png

#53 2010-06-17 00:17:56

IgnorantGuru
Website

Make that version 1.0.3 - an error was given in 1.0.2 if you attempted to drag a file to a folder-symlink in the directory tree pane.  That has been corrected.

#54 2010-06-20 14:01:34

bruno321

Hello again. I use pcmanfm-mod with "detailed list" view. I've found that when I open the program, the order is by "last modification", but then I instantly order it by filename -the way I like it-. But when I close the program and reopen it, it doesn't remember this and orders by last modification. How can I make "order by filename" default?

Thanks,

#55 2010-06-20 14:51:34

IgnorantGuru
Website

bruno321 wrote:

Hello again. I use pcmanfm-mod with "detailed list" view. I've found that when I open the program, the order is by "last modification", but then I instantly order it by filename -the way I like it-. But when I close the program and reopen it, it doesn't remember this and orders by last modification. How can I make "order by filename" default?

Hi - That's an old bug from 0.5.2 which has not been addressed in the mod.  If you select from the menu View|Sort|Sort by Name then it should stick.  Merely clicking on a column header to change the sort method only changes it temporarily.

#56 2010-06-20 14:54:34

bruno321

As quick and efficient as usual! That did the trick. Thanks.

#57 2010-06-21 18:09:12

tri1976

I observed a few things from the context menu:
1. "extract" option is always available.  Is this the intended behavior?  I remember in previous version it only show when an archive is clicked.
2. "compress" option is missing...not a big deal a user command can be configured instead.
3. "copy as text" copy file path with an extra space in front
I'm just nit picking smile .... your  mod is great....Thanks.

Last edited by tri1976 (2010-06-21 18:15:06)

#58 2010-06-21 19:14:47

IgnorantGuru
Website

tri1976 wrote:

I observed a few things from the context menu:
1. "extract" option is always available.  Is this the intended behavior?  I remember in previous version it only show when an archive is clicked.
2. "compress" option is missing...not a big deal a user command can be configured instead.
3. "copy as text" copy file path with an extra space in front
I'm just nit picking smile .... your  mod is great....Thanks.

No nit-picking there - that's a bonafide bug.  1 and 2 were actually the same bug - introduced in 1.0.2 when I rebuilt that menu (rather than extract being hidden, compress was).  You caught me at the right moment and it was a quick fix (literally a one keystroke fix in the source.), so 1.0.4 is available with this bugfix being the only change.

As for 3, that is intentional, which is also done if you drag a file to some terminal windows.  The extra space allows you to copy/paste one file, then another, etc, without having to hit space between them.

Thanks for your feedback - I don't use the built-in compress and extract commands so I didn't happen to notice that flub.

#59 2010-06-21 22:58:50

tri1976

As for 3, that is intentional, which is also done if you drag a file to some terminal windows.

Do you know if "copy as text" or the drag method work with urxvt?  It doesn't for me....I tried "copy as text" and use middle mouse to paste in urxvt but nothing.  I dragged a file into urxvt window and nothing.  I don't know if this matter but I'm using icewm as WM.

#60 2010-06-21 23:11:57

IgnorantGuru
Website

urxvt seems to paste with shift-insert (which is common, in addition to the newer ctrl-shift-v).  Middle click will also work for pasting highlighted text.  FYI "Copy as Text" puts the filenames onto the clipboard as plain text, just as if you copied it from a text editor, so it should work with any program that allows you to paste in text.

urxvt doesn't seem to accept a drag method (under Openbox - I don't know if the WM matters either, but FYI pcmanfm uses gtk methods so a gnome-based WM or terminal might be more promising to work).  I know my roxterm with Openbox does - you can drag files from pcmanfm into roxterm, and it will insert the filenames where the cursor is.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2010-06-21 23:14:22)

#61 2010-06-21 23:32:51

tri1976

ctrl-shift-v doesn't work for me at all. shift-insert and middle click work on highlighted text.  None work for pasting content of clipboard (as in "copy as text").  I'm wondering if I'm missing some settings in .Xdefaults.
.Xdefaults:

URxvt.buffered:         true
URxvt.background:       black
URxvt.foreground:       white
URxvt.cursorColor:      green
URxvt.underlineColor:   yellow
URxvt.font:             -misc-fixed-medium-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
URxvt.boldFont:         -misc-fixed-bold-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
URxvt.perl-ext-common:  default,matcher,tabbed
URxvt.urlLauncher:      /home/tri/bin/browser.sh
URxvt.matcher.button:   1
URxvt.scrollBar_right:    true
URxvt.saveLines:        1000
URxvt.transparent:        true
URxvt.shading:            25
URxvt.geometry:         100

urxvt version:

rxvt-unicode (urxvt) v9.07 - released: 2009-12-27

#62 2010-06-21 23:49:14

IgnorantGuru
Website

tri1976 wrote:

ctrl-shift-v doesn't work for me at all. shift-insert and middle click work on highlighted text.  None work for pasting content of clipboard (as in "copy as text").  I'm wondering if I'm missing some settings in .Xdefaults.

Well from your bug report you know the extra space is there, so I know you tried pasting the "Copy as Text" clipboard somewhere successfully.  So the problem seems to be pasting any text into urxvt.  I installed rxvt-unicode (urxvt) and shift-Insert did paste text for me, including text copied via "Copy as Text".  I'm using Openbox, as I said.  So perhaps it is your WM.  I have nothing in my Xdefaults file except a custom cursor theme.

Also, shift-Insert generally pastes clipboard text, not highlighted text, so I suggest verifying the contents of the clipboard if shift-Insert gave you a result.  Also, if you use Copy in pcmanfm instead of "Copy as Text", it won't generally be pastable into anything but a file manager (even roxterm doesn't accept a URI list on the clipboard, only via drag).  EDIT: well, it does accept it, but it pastes it as multiple lines which is not very useful in a terminal.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2010-06-21 23:55:15)

#63 2010-06-22 16:49:06

tri1976

IgnorantGuru wrote:

I'm using Openbox, as I said.  So perhaps it is your WM.

I installed openbox to see if WM is the problem but it still doesn't work...both shift-insert and middle click paste primary buffer not clipboard in urxvt?  Do you have any clipboard manager running?  Can you copy text to both clipboard and primary buffer?

#64 2010-06-22 19:56:45

IgnorantGuru
Website

tri1976 wrote:

I installed openbox to see if WM is the problem but it still doesn't work...both shift-insert and middle click paste primary buffer not clipboard in urxvt?  Do you have any clipboard manager running?  Can you copy text to both clipboard and primary buffer?

I just tried it again and you seem to be right - both middle-click and shift-insert pastes the highlighted text into urxvt, but I can't seem to paste the clipboard text.  Sorry about that - I must have highlighted the clipboard text when I pasted it into an editor and that's what fooled me.  Strange, because I could have sworn it pasted the clipboard yesterday.  ???

A google search on the subject didn't reveal a solution.  This post and others claimed shift+left-click would paste into rxvt, but that didn't work for me in urxvt.  So you may be out of luck with that terminal.

#65 2010-06-22 20:56:20

tri1976

I like urxvt but this problem annoy the heck out of me.  I have been searching the web tirelessly and found the solution here http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 51#p750951 post #23.  If you want to use control-shift-<letter> shortcut, you need to recompile urxvt with --disable-iso14755 or install "rxvt-unicode-256color".  Sorry IgnorantGuru  for this off topic post.

Last edited by tri1976 (2010-06-24 22:19:23)

#66 2010-07-19 06:23:52

cyberius

hello

i'm just curious, why is all this not added to the "default" pcmanfm?

doesnt the original author like you work?

because if I understand it right, you are modding here an very old version right?

#67 2010-07-19 06:54:13

seiichiro0185
Website

According to a thread in the lxde/pcmanfm forum pcmanfm2 (0.9.7) will get user definable functions sometime. The author is waiting for freedesktop.org to finish a specification for it (don't know how far this has come by now)

Last edited by seiichiro0185 (2010-07-19 07:02:02)

My System: Dell XPS 13 | i7-7560U | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | FHD Screen | Arch Linux
My Workstation/Server: Supermicro X11SSZ-F | Xeon E3-1245 v6 | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD Raid 1 + 6TB HDD ZFS Raid Z1 | Proxmox VE
My Stuff at Github: github
My Homepage: Seiichiros HP

#68 2010-07-24 02:03:49

IgnorantGuru
Website

cyberius wrote:

i'm just curious, why is all this not added to the "default" pcmanfm?

doesnt the original author like you work?

because if I understand it right, you are modding here an very old version right?

Some features of the mod have been integrated into the new version of pcmanfm, while others were rejected; some are pending.  As for v0.5.2 on which pcmanfm-mod is based, it is the only stable version, v0.9 still being a RC, so it is somewhat of a legacy version at this point, but not all that old.  Aside from the mod features and more stability than the RCs, some also use the 0.5 versions due to less dependencies on Gnome, etc.

#69 2010-08-05 14:46:50

moere

I dont know whether this is the right place for this or not:

I would like to have the following feature:

After creating a folder (I like the ctrl+f shortcut) the focus should be on this new folder
and not on the first folder in the current directory. This has not to be default
but it would be nice to have it as an option to configure it the way one likes it.

Regards!

And great thanks for maintaining PCManFM Mod !!

#70 2010-08-09 19:34:00

IgnorantGuru
Website

PCManFM-Mod v1.1.0 is available.  This version now builds and installs itself as "pcmanfm-mod" (including from the AUR), and will run independently of other versions of pcmanfm.  It also now uses a different user config folder ~/.config/pcmanfm-mod/     This change was precipitated by the fact that Arch's extra repo now includes the RC version of pcmanfm 0.9 as "pcmanfm".

I had a few beta testers try the new makefiles, but please let me know if you encounter any build problems - thanks.

Changes to this version include:
* makefiles have been changed to build and install as "/usr/bin/pcmanfm-mod"
* AUR package has been updated - installs as pcmanfm-mod, provides pcmanfm
* uses $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/pcmanfm-mod/ as config folder - imports from
      pcmanfm if missing
* Compress and Extract functions now support tar.xz
* Default save folder of Compress function now working folder (bugfix)
* program icons (normal and root user) changed
* middle-click on tab now closes it (Firefox style)
* Create new file/folder in detailed list view now focuses new file (same behavior as icon view)
* File list is given focus after create new file/folder (all views)

For more information on the currently available versions of PCManFM please consult the updated PCManFM wiki entry

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2010-08-10 18:22:51)

#71 2010-08-10 15:42:16

IgnorantGuru
Website

The AUR package for v1.1.0 has been updated (1.1.0-2) so it no longer provides pcmanfm, as this created a conflict with other versions of pcmanfm in pacman.  If you do want pcmanfm-mod to provide pcmanfm (so other packages recognize that pcmanfm is installed), uncomment the indicated lines in PKGBUILD and pcmanfm-mod.install before building.

If you installed 1.1.0-1 and have a conflict, you may need to uninstall pcmanfm-mod, then install 1.1.0-2 to resolve it.

Also, Xtract has been updated - it now can list archive contents.

#72 2010-08-10 16:36:31

Acecero

Excellent work.  I have a suggestion though.  If you are going as far to install it as "pcmanfm-mod" and allow for other pcmanfm builds to coexist, maybe it would be a good idea to rename the package and install from "pcmanfm-mod" to something like "IgnorantFM."  You already modified it so much, I think you can call it your own FM.  What do you think?

#73 2010-08-10 17:02:21

IgnorantGuru
Website

Acecero wrote:

Excellent work.  I have a suggestion though.  If you are going as far to install it as "pcmanfm-mod" and allow for other pcmanfm builds to coexist, maybe it would be a good idea to rename the package and install from "pcmanfm-mod" to something like "IgnorantFM."  You already modified it so much, I think you can call it your own FM.  What do you think?

In a sense it does have its own official name now: "pcmanfm-mod"   That's the name it's known by and the changes aren't extensive, so I went with that.

Also, I have created a second AUR package for it for those who want it to provide pcmanfm.  Here is the way it is now handled:

The AUR pcmanfm-mod package does not provide pcmanfm and can thus be
installed concurrently with other versions of pcmanfm
The AUR pcmanfm-mod-prov package is identical to pcmanfm-mod except that it
provides pcmanfm and thus conflicts with other versions of pcmanfm

If you have other packages that require pcmanfm and want to use pcmanfm-mod instead, then install AUR pcmanfm-mod-prov. If you want to run pcmanfm-mod in addition to another version of pcmanfm, or don't have other (LXDE) packages which required pcmanfm, then install AUR pcmanfm-mod.

#74 2010-08-10 17:25:14

Acecero

I understand. It is already widely recognized by that.

Thanks for creating the pcmanfm-mod-prov package.

#75 2010-08-10 22:30:42

IgnorantGuru
Website

NOTE FOR LXDE USERS:
The new version 1.1.0 of PCManFM-Mod installs itself as /usr/bin/pcmanfm-mod, but LXDE uses /usr/bin/pcmanfm for its desktop management. Thus you may need to create a link:

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/pcmanfm-mod /usr/bin/pcmanfm

Or, uninstall the pcmanfm-mod AUR package and install pcmanfm-mod-prov instead, which will create the above link automatically.

Board footer