You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-17 14:55:10

Burroughs

Tuxonice and boot problems

Hi to everyone!
I've been using Arch 3-4 days now (my previous distribution was Slackware) and, considering that I've always used Tuxonice to hibernate/suspend my laptop, I've tried to do the same with Arch also.
My notebook is a Sony Vaio VGN-NS21Z with an ATI GPU (HD3430, to be more precise).
I've followed the wiki, so installed tuxonice and modified the boot manager.
By the way, this is my /boot/grub/menu-lst file:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Tuxonice
root   (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26-ice root=/dev/sda3 ro resume=swap:/dev/sda2
initrd /boot/kernel26-ice.img

# (1) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux LTS
root   (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

# (2) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux Fallback
root   (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img

After rebooting the system, the kernel, just after launching the udev daemon, gives me a completely messed up screen, which doesn't allow me to go on and start KDE.
Got any ideas to solve my problem?
Thanks,

Burroughs.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe" (Albert Einstein)

#2 2010-06-18 06:29:22

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Tuxonice and boot problems

Does it work fine with your other kernels? The current kernel26-ice doesn't really have the ICE patch (check the aur comments).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-06-18 06:58:09

Burroughs

ngoonee wrote:

Does it work fine with your other kernels? The current kernel26-ice doesn't really have the ICE patch (check the aur comments).

Yep, my other kernels are working fine and, of course, I've read the comments about the missing patch too.
Don't think though this has much to with my problem; what I've experienced so far is that the ice kernel boots up regularly to then mess up the screen, just after starting the udev daemon.
Probably there's something in the kernel re-compilation made by the script (pkgbuild) that messes up something regarding the graphic card or an incompatibility between the ice kernel and the module xf86-video-ati I'm currently using.

Burroughs.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe" (Albert Einstein)

#4 2010-06-18 07:28:44

sHyLoCk

If you are using KDE,why not just use pm-utils?

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#5 2010-06-18 07:40:33

Burroughs

sHyLoCk wrote:

Yes, I was seriously thinking about it... :-)
You know, I've been using Slackware for so many years with the tuxonice patches installed, now it seems strange to me I can't do the same on Arch too.
Maybe, I'm a little nostalgic, who knows... tongue

Burroughs.

#6 2010-06-18 08:31:44

tomk
Forum Fellow

Does the system continue booting after the messed-up screen appears? If so, you might be able to retrieve debugging info via ssh.

#7 2010-06-18 08:32:57

tomk
Forum Fellow

Also, apart from tuxonice, are there any other differences between the two kernel configs?

#8 2010-06-18 17:37:39

sHyLoCk

Burroughs wrote:
sHyLoCk wrote:

You know, I've been using Slackware for so many years with the tuxonice patches installed, now it seems strange to me I can't do the same on Arch too.

Burroughs.

No you can do it. I have used tuxonice for a while on arch. Use kernel26-ice from AUR.

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#9 2010-06-19 01:30:59

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

sHyLoCk wrote:
Burroughs wrote:
sHyLoCk wrote:

Burroughs.

No you can do it. I have used tuxonice for a while on arch. Use kernel26-ice from AUR.

Except that doesn't work right now due to the TOI patch not being applied (no 2.6.34 from upstream).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#10 2010-06-19 12:26:46

Burroughs

ngoonee wrote:
sHyLoCk wrote:
Burroughs wrote:

Burroughs.

Except that doesn't work right now due to the TOI patch not being applied (no 2.6.34 from upstream).

I've partially fixed the problem by installing kernel26-rt-ice 2.6.33-10.
As for now, the new kernel, with the tuxonice patches included, boots up regularly but comes out with a well-known message error:

TuxOnIce can't translate /dev/sda2 (swap device) into a device id yet

Investigating the problem, I found out it might be a misspelled instruction error in the bootloader, something not working in the mkinitcpio.conf file and another thing I don't recall right now.
The relevant part of the bootloader config file is the following:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz26-rt-ice root=/dev/sda3 ro resume=swap:/dev/sda2

That's the relevant part of the mknitcpio config file:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata resume filesystems"

In the same file I loaded lzo as a module...

Burroughs.

Last edited by Burroughs (2010-06-19 12:28:12)

#11 2010-06-19 15:46:58

broch
Banned

1) tuxonice (head) for 2.6.34 is available for some time now
2) tuxonice does not require resume entry in grub anymore because it recognizes swap automatically
3) best is to build kernel without initrd for tuxonice but if you are fond of initrd then check tuxonice site for proper config with initrd
5) because kernel26-rt-ice is based on 2.6.33 and tuxonice is available for 2.6.34, it is safe to say that -ice kernels from AUR are waste of time. Either patch Arch default kernel, or build from sources (for Slack user this should be easy)

#12 2010-06-21 23:03:01

iceman81
Website

TOI patch is now available in 2.6.34-ice
feel free to use it

#13 2010-06-22 09:57:11

Burroughs

iceman81 wrote:

TOI patch is now available in 2.6.34-ice
feel free to use it

Thanks, iceman, for the info.
I've installed the most recent version of the ice kernel and the boot problem has been fixed...
Quite frankly speaking, it was not about the kernel itself, but the xorg server; once updated, everything worked out fine.
I must admit, though, I cannot resume anything, as I'd have to check the init script (initrd doesn't like Tuxonice that much), but I don't care by now: I've found out pm-utils works great and I can even lock my KDE session with a hook of mine, so I'm happy this way... tongue

Burroughs.

Board footer