You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-23 02:39:26

munguanaweza

Two or more Desktop Environments

Hi,
I am new to Arch Linux, I succeeded in getting the distribution installed yesterday after spending a while trying to find a driver that would work with my graphics card to get X working.

I loaded KDE as the DE because I am already familiar with it, but one of the reasons I wanted to try Arch was so that I could try out E17.  Can anyone advise me if I can have two Desktop environments installed and start the one that I wish from the KDE login window at user login?  I suppose that this might be a simple question, but I am unfamiliar with Arch and am just trying to check some basic facts before I charge off to try loading E17.  Questions about how to configure this will follow, without a doubt.

Thanks

#2 2010-06-23 02:57:14

Berticus

Re: Two or more Desktop Environments

I've never used KDM before, but I would imagine, if you installed enlightenment, KDM will have no issues providing it as an option at login. If there's no E17 or Enlightenment 17 option listed, just create a file called enlightenment.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=XSession
Exec=/usr/bin/enlightenment
TryExec=/usr/bin/enlightenment
Name=Enlightenment 17

#3 2010-06-23 06:37:08

pressh
Developer/TU

Berticus wrote:

I've never used KDM before, but I would imagine, if you installed enlightenment, KDM will have no issues providing it as an option at login. If there's no E17 or Enlightenment 17 option listed, just create a file called enlightenment.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions:

/usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop is owned by e-svn 49779-1

#4 2010-06-23 10:35:50

mythus
Website

Greetings,

I have no issues with selecting e17 from KDM.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#5 2010-06-23 17:51:54

Berticus

pressh wrote:
Berticus wrote:

/usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop is owned by e-svn 49779-1

Well yeah, I'd imagine if you installed enlightenment, from either svn or extra, it would provide the desktop file. Just saying, if it's not there, he could always write it himself.

Board footer