You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-05 06:11:36

jlowell

Rebuilds And .tar.gz

Pacman has a very useful mechanism for ridding yourself of accumulated .tar.gz packages in /var/cache/pacman/pkg, that is to say pacman -Sc. Running makepkg -C will clean the cache of downloaded source code from all PKGBUILD directories. But is there any efficient way to use either of those commands or any other command for that matter to remove all .tar.gz packages from the various abs PKGBUILD directories in which builds are done? I'm just finishing-up a full system source rebuild and would like to remove all .tar.gz packages in abs directories left over from this work.

jlowell

#2 2003-10-05 06:49:10

sarah31
Website

Re: Rebuilds And .tar.gz

hmmm...not that know of but maybe apeiro can chime in here or if there is not perhaps some new code can be implimented to do so. i like the idea.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-10-05 16:30:43

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

You mean all, including the .pkg.tar.gz's?  One possible option is something like:

find /var/abs -name *.tar.gz -exec rm {} ;

PE: I haven't tested this, but I believe my syntax is right.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2003-10-05 17:13:18

jlowell

Hi Xentac ,

You say:

You mean all, including the .pkg.tar.gz's?

That had been my idea, unless, of course, I'm making some kind of horrible mistake by doing so. I'm trying to get rid of the flotsom and jetsom after doing a one-package-at-a-time rebuild of my system. This project is something I'll only occasionally need to do again, so I see less point in keeping all the source code and package wrappers on my machine in light of possible future need than I do to keep things uncluttered. Now if I'm misunderstanding things and these .tar.gz's aren't clutter, that's another matter.

It occurs to me that, possibly, the whole /var/abs directory might be taken out with rm -r and then reinstalled with abs. A radical solution, undoubtedly, but a lot easier than doing them individually. Your opinion? Actually, though, the solution you propose, find /var/abs -name *tar.gz -exec rm {} ; would seems more to the point and elegant. Leave it to me to be a klutz with something of this kind. smile

jlowell

#5 2003-10-05 18:25:08

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

As long as you haven't edited anything in /var/abs, removing the directory and re-running abs will do just fine.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#6 2003-10-05 20:31:03

jlowell

Xentac,

Well, that deed is done and without ill effect it would seem. Thanks for your help.

It's incredible how much - I was going to use the word "cruft" since its so frequently used in Linux circles to describe the nonessential, but since the word has no formal existence in the English language I'll instead use - junk you can accumulate doing a system rebuild. Removing /var/abs/* and re-running  abs resulted in the liberation of very nearly 400MB of disk space. That's almost 60% of the space that the resulting install requires!

Regards.

jlowell

#7 2003-10-05 21:52:48

neri
Forum Fellow

jlowell wrote:

Removing /var/abs/* and re-running  abs resulted in the liberation of very nearly 400MB of disk space. That's almost 60% of the space that the resulting install requires!

Hi,

how much space is required by abs after you have rebuild  the complete
system depends also on how you call makeworld. makeworld -c cleans up
a lot since it removes all the extracted sources from your hd. I also like to
clean up my abs/local directory. I have written a shellscript which basically
cleans up the most things. Commands are this

find /var/abs/local -name 'src' -exec rm -rf {} ;
find /var/abs/local -name 'pkg' -exec rm -rf {} ;
find /var/abs/local -name 'filelist' -exec rm -f {} ;
find /var/abs/local -name '*.tar.gz' -not -name '*.pkg.tar.gz' -exec rm -rf {} ;

the last is because I like to keep at least the packages which I rebuild
for reinstallation or for other boxes.

bye neri

Board footer