You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-28 08:34:05

anadyr

OO doesn.t export special characters correctly to PDF

Some more problems with Open Office (after the dictionaries thing)

For my study I have to write papers with arabic transcription. This involves strange letters, like an s with a dot underneath it:
fusha.gif

exporting to PDF directly from OO has this as a result:
fusha2.gif the strange letters get messed up.

A solution would be to use ps2pdf but exactly the same problem occurs...

ps2pdf -dEmbedAllFonts=true -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer diglossia.ps diglossia.pdf

ps2pdf12 and ps2pdf13 does the same...
When in OO I print to the file diglossia.ps the strange letters do not get incorporated (ghostscript).

A second solution is to install the windows version of OO, and export it from there. This kind of works. The only problem is that the fonts are ugly.

Is there anyone who can help me with this? It is pretty important, because I need to submit this paper next week...

thanks
Rogier

#2 2005-03-28 09:33:11

Arn0

Re: OO doesn.t export special characters correctly to PDF

There where some problems with asian languages aswel but i think they fixt those in version 1.0.? or so. What version of openoffice are you using, openoffice2 is also availeble and the problem might be solved in that version.
You can also take a look at the localisation pages of OpenOffice there might be some info there http://l10n.openoffice.org/

Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it.

#3 2005-03-30 15:53:08

anadyr

I tried everything... the only thing I didn.t try is to print straight from my linux box. but I don.t have a printer...
running OOo 1.1.4 but OO2beta does exactly the same...

I also figured out that in windows and Mac it sort of does the same, but PDFs made with the windows or mac version do show the strange letters. Only the font gets messed up, only arial/helvetica seems to work properly...

any ideas?

#4 2005-03-30 17:23:35

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

It might not be the solution you look for but here's a suggestion.
You could use latex.  It will solve the pdf problem.  However it is not user friendly.  If you paper is mostly text,  it could be converted quite fast with cut'n'pasting.  If you are interested, I could send you templates and hints.

Board footer