You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-27 00:34:54

kuno

Firewire external hd mount incorrectly

I knew similar questions has  been answered many many times...but I just can not figure out what is right way to go.

I have a 1TB Seagate external hard driver connects with my laptop through a firewire cable. I need it can be mounted at  boot automatically, and after shutdown it should be turn off itself.

First I try to use udev, I flow this article on arch wiki, it turns out that kernel that kernel can detect the device and udev also excutes these rules that I put into /etc/udev/rules.d/ directory. But after I logins to my desktop environment ( gnome), the device is not on my desktop dir.

after several failures, I gave up udev. Then  I came to fastab, I put this line in my  /etc/fstab

UUID=d5fc189b-3c6b-4947-bda3-b7d0890fe6ca    /media/externalhd  ext4    defaults 0 0

reboot, then I can see the device icon appears on my gnome desktop. But when I click into it, there nothing left  this device!

and when I

ls -l /media/externalhd

I got an I/O error.

After that, I found out the only way to mount this firewire device correctly is turn off this device until I log into my gnome desktop, then turn it on , the device would be mount at the

/media/d5fc189b-3c6b-4947-bda3-b7d0890fe6ca

directory.

how  should I do?

Board footer