You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-27 08:16:48

Ben9250
Website

[SOLVED] ESS and EMACS issue.

I've just gotten round to installing EMACS and then ESS from the AUR using yaourt. Normally when I use it for my stats I have 2 buffers open, one with my .R file and the other with an iESS or inferior ESS buffer that I send chunks of code to to evaluate them and get results. When I used Ubuntu whenever I loaded a file with the .R extension I would get a toolbar that would allow me to start an R (iESS) session in an empty buffer. I could then just highlight and click to transfer code across. However now I've switched to Arch it doesn't seem to want to do that: when I load files with .R extensions I get a plain text buffer with none of the ESS code transfer and R session buttons, and M-x R to start an iESS seperately returns the message [No Match]. I've had a read and a few sites mention adding codes to some files like ~/.emacs or a initiation file thats in ~/.emacs.d but I've not seen such files on my system, they're just not present. I thought of simply creating them but I wasnt sure if that was the solution. I'm also not really an expert of EMACS and its vast number of different functions, I just use it for SQLite and R for my results and data analysis for Biology. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-07-05 21:42:09)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-06-27 10:58:09

Ben9250
Website

Re: [SOLVED] ESS and EMACS issue.

Solved the problem, Reinstalled all the emacs stuff and it decided to give me a .emacs file this time to edit appropriately to make ESS work.:D

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

Board footer