You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-27 03:25:51

pablox
Website

Question about udev,hal, hotplug and new Xorg 1.8

From what I understand the hal .fdi files now are ignored since the last upgrade of Xorg to version 1.8. Before that, I used to modify .fdi files and then restarting hal to get the modifications to work. I did this to configure my joystick and synaptics for example.

How I'm supposed to do that now with this new system? I've been trying with hal and the fdi files, but are totally ignored (as expected) and making changes to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-name-here.conf works but I have to restart X.

According to this the configuration for input devices should be done by .conf files on xorg.conf.d/ or udev rules.

The Xorg input hotplugging from the wiki is kind of outdated too because it's all about the deprecated hal so I don't understand how I'm supposed to configure and work with the hotplugging...

I hope someone can make this a little bit clear :) (or tell me that I'm really lost)

Geeks & Linux Atelier
An eye for an eye ... ends in making everybody blind -- Mahatma Gandhi
dotfiles

#2 2010-06-27 09:22:36

okraits
Website

Re: Question about udev,hal, hotplug and new Xorg 1.8

It's explained on the Xorg wiki page and it was also on the archlinux frontpage: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#InputClasses

#3 2010-06-27 18:38:34

pablox
Website

Not what I'm looking for really, because if I change the Xkblayout for example (or if I create a new file), the change only works after restarting X. My joystick for example, doesn't work and create a new inputclass only works after restarting it.

I know that I can change the keyboard layout some other way while using it using setxkbmap, but still, I'd like to know how it is supposed to use the "hot" plug.

Geeks & Linux Atelier
An eye for an eye ... ends in making everybody blind -- Mahatma Gandhi
dotfiles

#4 2010-06-27 19:39:21

Gusar

I believe 'xinput' (part of xorg-server-utils)is what you're looking for.

Last edited by Gusar (2010-06-27 19:46:52)

Board footer