You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-26 04:21:57

dennola4

[SOLVED] Basic Linux Question: How do I mount a filesystem at CL?

I have just installed Arch.  I'm not great at the command line which is why I am forcing myself to do this in the first place, so please be kind.

After the install I find myself at the command line as root.  To connect to the Internet (and proceed with the Arch Wiki tutorial for installation and configuration) I have to use my Sprint Aircard.   The Aircard requires chatscripts which I have backed up in /etc/ppp/peers on another HDD.   I connect that HDD via enclosure and in /dev I see sdb, sdb1, sdb2,sdb3.

I am reading the man page for mount but I cannot figure out how to get into this filesystem. 

Brother, can you spare a command?

Last edited by dennola4 (2010-06-26 21:23:51)

I'm here to learn.

#2 2010-06-26 04:42:42

abraham10

Re: [SOLVED] Basic Linux Question: How do I mount a filesystem at CL?

You'll need to make a mountpoint first, this is directory in which the content of the partition will be.
sudo mkdir /media/name then: sudo mount /dev/hdX /media/name

Most of the question asked can be solved just by reading:
Beginner's Wiki.
Pacman Man.
AUR.

#3 2010-06-26 06:44:08

dennola4

Do I make a separate mountpoint for each partition? It lists sdb, sdb1, sdb2, sdb3.

Also, am I correct in thinking that sdb is the whole HDD, sdb1 is the first partition (swap), sdb2 is the second (root), and sdb3 is the third (home)?

I'm here to learn.

#4 2010-06-26 07:17:35

3])

dennola4 wrote:

Do I make a separate mountpoint for each partition? It lists sdb, sdb1, sdb2, sdb3.

Also, am I correct in thinking that sdb is the whole HDD, sdb1 is the first partition (swap), sdb2 is the second (root), and sdb3 is the third (home)?

Making a seperate mount point is all up to you.
You could use the same mount point but you will have to mount and unmount constantly.

SDB is indeed the WHOLE hard drive. You better try installing Gparted or parted and checking your partitions via that as well as your home could be anyone of those sdb#'s according to how you set up your partitions.

Ex:

mount /dev/sdb1 /media/mount

then after done using

umount /dev/sdb1

then to the next one

mount /dev/sdb2 /media/mount

Last edited by 3]) (2010-06-26 07:18:59)

“There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.”-- C.A.R. Hoare

#5 2010-06-26 18:39:19

abraham10

You don't need gparted to see what partitions you have you can use this command in a terminal and it will print a summary for you.

$sudo fdisk -l | more

Also if you have a long list of partitions you can use this command to display it by page.

sudo fdisk -l | pg

Last edited by abraham10 (2010-06-26 18:41:17)

Beginner's Wiki.
Pacman Man.
AUR.

#6 2010-06-26 21:21:13

dennola4

Thanks, fellas.

Your suggestions worked and I was able to mount my secondary HDD.  Because I am still root I didn't need sudo, so to make a mountpoint for sdb1 (for instance) I did:

mkdir /media/disk1

and did this for all three partitions.  I found that to mount them, however, I needed to include the file system type (for instance):

mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb1 /media/disk1

I know that since I only have three partitions on that HDD, and two of them open as my /root partition and my /home partition, the third one is swap.  This was confirmed by using the command fdisk -l | more  -- so thanks for that.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My new problem is properly copying the contents of the old /etc directories to the new one, but I am going to start a new post for that so this doesn't get messy.

Thanks again.

Last edited by dennola4 (2010-06-26 21:31:23)

I'm here to learn.

#7 2010-06-26 21:26:17

abraham10

Ohh ok glad to see that everything worked out wink

Beginner's Wiki.
Pacman Man.
AUR.

#8 2010-06-26 21:33:32

abraham10

This :

My new problem is properly copying the contents of the old /etc directories to the new one, but I am going to start a new post for that so this doesn't get messy.

is not a problem. If you want to copy everything in the directory to another one including it's sub directories all you have to do is this:

cp -frv dir/source dir/destiny

f  = force
r = recursive
v = verbose

and that should do it. If you run into any permission problems run this command if you have sudo installed:

sudo !!

Beginner's Wiki.
Pacman Man.
AUR.

#9 2010-06-26 22:48:30

dennola4

Cool, thanks.  Straying off-topic at this point, but just to be thorough:

With your help I mounted my secondary HDD (where my downloaded chat-scripts are).  These came from here, by the way, if anyone else happens to have a Sierra Wireless card:   http://sierrawireless.custhelp.com/app/ … using_PPPD

I cd-ed to /media/disk1/etc/ppp and copied ip-up.local and ip-down.local to /etc/ppp.
I cd-ed to /media/disk1/etc/ppp/peers and copied cdma cdma_chat gsm gsm885 gsm_chat gsm_chat~ to /etc/ppp/peers.
I hit ALT+F2 to open another virtual console and typed: pppd call cdma , then ALT+F1 to get back to where I was.
Then I typed ping -c 3 www.google.com

and yeehaw, I'm connected.  Now for the fun part.  Time to go shoppin'! Pacman, here I come. 

:-D

I'm here to learn.

#10 2010-06-26 23:50:30

jt512

abraham10 wrote:

You don't need gparted to see what partitions you have you can use this command in a terminal and it will print a summary for you.

$sudo fdisk -l | more

You don't need sudo to run fdisk with the -l option, and I would suggest not using it (ie, sudo), due to the destructive potential of fdisk.

Jay

Last edited by jt512 (2010-06-26 23:51:07)

#11 2010-06-27 00:54:09

abraham10

If you don't use sudo it won't show anything with a regular user but if your root then it will show it.

Last edited by abraham10 (2010-06-27 00:57:56)

Beginner's Wiki.
Pacman Man.
AUR.

#12 2010-06-27 01:07:46

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

When I first saw the title, I thought:

"Now why would someone even attempt to mount a drive at the 8-bit CPU register CL?" tongue

Last edited by cesura (2010-06-29 04:27:04)

#13 2010-06-27 01:59:01

dennola4

HAHAHA.

Another funny scenario I considered after posting this was some Linux uber-user scratching his head and thinking:

These dumbass noobs.  What the hell does that even mean, anyway....mounting a filesystem at CraigsList??!

o_O

I'm here to learn.

#14 2010-06-29 04:27:30

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

dennola4 wrote:

HAHAHA.

Another funny scenario I considered after posting this was some Linux uber-user scratching his head and thinking:

These dumbass noobs.  What the hell does that even mean, anyway....mounting a filesystem at CraigsList??!

o_O

Words can't even describe the humor in that yikes

Board footer