You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-29 14:50:44

Google
Website

(SOLVED) NTFS partitions won't mount and gone missing..

I get this error when I click on them in my file manager:

Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.9" (uid=1000 pid=1882 comm="pcmanfm) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member="Mount" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=1575 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
Directory doesn't exist!

It has worked fine for over a month until I switched to a tiling WM and have been trying to install mpd and ncmpcpp... can anyone explain where my partitions went?

EDIT:

I don't know WHY but mpd removed me from hal when it installed or some permissions were changed and it removed me from hal.

I solved it though!

Last edited by Google (2010-06-29 15:04:44)

#2 2010-06-29 15:05:29

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: (SOLVED) NTFS partitions won't mount and gone missing..

Hmm.
Non-root user should not need to be in hal group..

#3 2010-06-29 15:58:57

Google
Website

Misfit138 wrote:

Hmm.
Non-root user should not need to be in hal group..

While we're talking about hal,

While we're on the topic, 

$ sudo pacman -Rns pcmanfm
checking dependencies...Remove (10): pcmanfm-0.5.2-1  hal-0.5.14-4  pm-utils-1.4.0-1  vbetool-1.1-1  libx86-1.1-2  pm-quirks-0.20100619-1  hal-info-0.20091130-1  eject-2.1.5-4  dmidecode-2.10-1  consolekit-0.4.1-2

According to this I can remove it. I use qtfm for my file manager now. I have a creeping feeling if I remove pcmanfm and those dependencies something is going to break. Any idea if it's safe to get rid of hal and those?

[XXX@ArchLinux ~]$ groups
wheel hal audio optical storage power users

If I don't have hal I don't have access to my NTFS partitions. Maybe I did something wrong.. I don't think I really use hal for anything. I don't know how to tell though, I am still a newbie sad

Last edited by Google (2010-06-29 16:01:06)

#4 2010-06-29 16:30:40

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

To clarify:
hal is a package, a (convoluted and poorly documented, though functional) program, and a group.
You can have hal installed as a package without running the program (as a daemon); It will just sit there doing nothing in this case.

Invoking it by manually starting it from /etc/rc.d/ or by placing it within the DAEMONS= array of your /etc/rc/conf  will ensure that it is running, and yes, pcmanfm still needs it.
BUT-- it is a relatively serious security risk to add a nonroot user to the hal group. :)

#5 2010-06-29 17:26:50

Google
Website

It is running as a daemon and yet it came up when I -Rns pcmanfm, I thought it wouldn't remove a dependency I needed.

I will remove myself from hal and see if I can still access the partitions. I thought the newbie guide said to add your user name to hal.

I stopped using pcmanfm and picked up qtfm. I believe a user on this forum created, whoever you are, it's a great file manager!

#6 2010-06-29 17:52:36

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Google wrote:

It is running as a daemon and yet it came up when I -Rns pcmanfm, I thought it wouldn't remove a dependency I needed.

I will remove myself from hal and see if I can still access the partitions. I thought the newbie guide said to add your user name to hal.

I stopped using pcmanfm and picked up qtfm. I believe a user on this forum created, whoever you are, it's a great file manager!

Hmmm..we're still not communicating on the same page.
The first thing I want to convey is, don't add a nonroot user to the hal group; it is generally bad practice.
Second, the hal package provides the hal program (daemon)-- easy enough.

Also, if pacman -Rsn pcmanfm removes hal along with it, and without complaints, then no other package requires it...which is fine, BUT, it appears as though you were also using hal to automount your media. Which may or may not be what you want.
Regardless, don't add your normal, nonroot user to the group 'hal'.
A cleaner and safer solution should be found and used.

Google wrote:

..I thought the newbie guide said to add your user name to hal..

No, that is incorrect.

Board footer