You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-30 22:39:07

milomouse
Website

Move/rename torrent's files but still seed?

I read another thread concerning this (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=47876) but it was an old thread and there wasn't any real solution outside of possibly using Azerus or Wine with utorrent (the Deluge plugin doesn't support renaming). So, yes, I'm wondering if I'm able to download a torrent and then rename/move the files to another location and still be able to seed. This has been bothering me for a while as I haven't been able to find a definitive answer for it yet and it tears me up that I can't seed what I've downloaded because I'm so O.C.D. with my file names and locations and it would be ridiculous to create a new torrent for them. So, outside of Deluge or using Wine; are there any ideas on this? I use rTorrent but would be willing to use an external program for changing the torrent location/names properly if there is such a thing, unless of course there's some rTorrent commands I'm unfamiliar with (though I've read the manpage quite a few times already). I don't like the idea of having to use an entirely different torrent client though but am open to ideas. Currently I'm able to move the files to another location via the Schedule command in rTorrent but I'm unable to rename them. Still reading about magnetlinks and seeing if they play a role somehow, as far as comparing the information and not names.. or something to that extent.

Last edited by milomouse (2010-06-30 22:47:06)

#2 2010-06-30 22:56:07

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Move/rename torrent's files but still seed?

I use rtorrent with the ruTorrent web frontend and a few plugins that allow me to move files around through the web interface. I tend to move my stuff to a directory that is indexed by Xbmc, and symlink to those files from my torrent directory. It's pretty easy and as long as you don't change the contents of the file itself (so the checksum of the file stays identical) you should be fine. Renaming does not change the checksum.

Magnetic links are part of the torrent protocol itself I think. They are unrelated to what you're trying to accomplish.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2010-06-30 22:58:02

lucke

In Transmission you can change the location of the files - not their names.

#4 2010-06-30 23:21:35

milomouse
Website

@.:B:.: Not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of symlinks (surprisingly enough). Perhaps I'll adopt that into a script somehow and use the "event.download.finished" to execute the symlinking after my renaming function. I'll have to play around with this but am also looking at the ruTorrent web frontend. I can't report immediately on my successes as I'll have to test on a few torrents and this may take a while. Appreciate it!

@lucke: Thanks for the suggestion (as this is good to know if only for other users who might be reading) but I'll see what I can do with rTorrent and perhaps the scheduled script (rename and symlink, or perhaps see if I can use extraneous rTorrent commands using basename stuff if I'm really determined, which I'm about there at this point) before I try another torrent client all together. Not much on GUIs but perhaps transmission's cli and server utilities can be of help in this. I admit I haven't tried it to it's full extent yet but this could prove useful in the long run.

#5 2010-07-01 00:38:51

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Sometimes the simplest solutions can be the easiest one wink. I do it all manually though, don't know how much you pull in on a daily basis tongue.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer