You are not logged in.

#26 2010-06-09 15:33:35

flamelab

Re: My experiences with Arch Linux

Soumyadeep wrote:

@toad, I dont know why but for some reason kde in my system is very laggy, window management(with compositing enabled)  is very crappy and it also takes a hefty amount of cpu power just for resizing, moving, minimizing windows. My machine is a desktop but if it was a laptog i guess it would have hampered the battery life if this problem persists.

Your GPU driver is the problem, not KDE tongue KDE4 is not laggy at all.

Last edited by flamelab (2010-06-09 15:33:50)

#27 2010-06-09 15:47:55

toad
Website

Soumyadeep wrote:

@toad, I dont know why but for some reason kde in my system is very laggy, window management(with compositing enabled)  is very crappy and it also takes a hefty amount of cpu power just for resizing, moving, minimizing windows. My machine is a desktop but if it was a laptog i guess it would have hampered the battery life if this problem persists.

Yeah, you're not the only one in this forum, methinks. Could be all sorts of issues.

All I can say is that my T41 with a 1.6Gh Celeron, a 32MB ATI card and 1GB RAM runs KDE very nicely - including compositing if I want to show off wink

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#28 2010-06-09 18:00:47

pratik_narain

@flamelab, I also understand that its not a kde 4 problem but a gpu driver or xorg issue and thats what I'm trying to solve. It is further proved as simple opengl 3d game(neverball) also works very slow and choppy.

Last edited by pratik_narain (2010-06-09 18:01:37)

#29 2010-06-09 23:32:29

Soumyadeep

flamelab wrote:
Soumyadeep wrote:

Your GPU driver is the problem, not KDE tongue KDE4 is not laggy at all.

I'm using the nvidia proprietary driver, and I'v seen this problem with my frnds also using nvidia proprietary drivers and also with people in the kde forums, will definitely give open source nvidia gallium3d drivers a try.

#30 2010-07-02 10:43:10

squiddy

excuse me, what GPU driver are you using right now? catalyst, xf86-video-ati, or xf86-video-ati-git? what are the result? sorry for asking, but i'm having the same exact problem also.

#31 2010-07-02 18:02:31

pratik_narain

I'm extremely sorry to say that I've changed to ubuntu on my laptop just for the catalyst drivers as they seem to keep my laptop gpu temperature lower. But I'm still a great arch fan and I run arch in a virtualbox vm just for the sake of keeping it. I personally suggest that if you are using arch on a laptop, purchase a cooling pad. It'll keep the laptop sufficiently cool.

Board footer