You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-11 17:42:49

sven

[new] Firebird relational database

About the package:
I finally managed to get this one ready - took me almost two days  of hacking the original setup scripts.

It still has some glitches (like giving this one on package adding: "stty: standard input: Invalid argument") - I am still learning bash programming. That one doesn't seem to affect the database and it seems to work great. I took care to make sure all the directory/file permissions would be done just like the original Firebird setup script maker intended. The server is stopped/started just like it should on changing the default password and on package removal.

I didn't pay much attention to the inetd stuff now since it is not very secure to use anyway and I intend to use this package for my webserver and I do not plan to allow remote logins to the database server now.

The links:
PKGBUILD
firebird
firebirddb.install

What's new:
05.05.2005: made firebird daemon visually better (on stopping/starting)
30.04.2005: spotted and fixed problem with php 4.3.11 - the symlink /usr/lib/libgds.so to /usr/lib/libfbclient.so was needed for successful configure
31.03.2005: I've been using Flamerobin for database management and it works like charm - no need for phpmyadmin - like interface (except when the server is at a remote place).
11.02.2005: Fixed /etc/rc.d in comments and removed status from the daemon file
11.02.2005: php seemed to compile fine with interbase support and shows some information - then got to make a test from a real php script - Update: that was success

Todo:
- "stty: standard input: Invalid argument" seems to be related to .install files somehow (had another same kind of error, too on my apache package) - if someone has an idea what could be fixed, I would be greatful
- I am still learning to make packages so any help especially with bash would be welcome to get this great database to install without that small glitch.
- make the daemon better and package adding-removal tweaking
- remove the trailing "-" from pkg name (..5.2.4731-.)
- add firebird's bin dir to path for easy command execution and on firebird package removal it should be removed from there, too

#2 2005-02-11 18:23:54

mico

Re: [new] Firebird relational database

Ehm... looks like you're quite familiar with firebird. Could you tell me briefly what kind of license is this IDPL/IPL? Just "mozilla-based" doesn't tell me anything and I get really frustrated when reading endless legal crap.

In particular, I'd like to know if you can use it in a commercial project, for example if you write a software that uses also firebird database and then sell this software bundled with firebird. Something like BSD, not GPL?

About the package:
I looked very briefly at it. Some small comments about the file "firebird":

1. In the comment block it should say that file is supposed to be in /etc/rc.d, not /etc/init.d

2. Do you intend to add some different funcionality to options "status" and "reload"? Making them available even though they don't do what would one expect is not a good thing IMHO. Reload usually means to signal the running process to reload configuration WITHOUT restart.

#3 2005-02-11 19:26:12

sven

mico wrote:

what kind of license is this IDPL/IPL? Just "mozilla-based" doesn't tell me anything and I get really frustrated when reading endless legal crap.

In particular, I'd like to know if you can use it in a commercial project, for example if you write a software that uses also firebird database and then sell this software bundled with firebird. Something like BSD, not GPL?

Check this article: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/helen- … oject-lead

Helen Borrie, Firebird project lead:

Our license is essentially the Mozilla Public License v.1.1, changed only to reflect that the code is not Netscape and that the original developers were Inprise/Borland (for the code they released) and the individuals who develop new code. Those are the only licenses we have and they specifically allow commercial products to include and ship Firebird. Nobody pays for Firebird and everyone use it under the same license.

1. In the comment block it should say that file is supposed to be in /etc/rc.d, not /etc/init.d

I just used the firebird.init.d.generic from /opt/firebird/misc - dir, I just haven't checked all the comments yet... I'll fix it.

2. Do you intend to add some different funcionality to options "status" and "reload"? Making them available even though they don't do what would one expect is not a good thing IMHO. Reload usually means to signal the running process to reload configuration WITHOUT restart.

These were also from that generic file. I checked now that fbmgr/fbserver doesn't have restart switch, thus this implementation seems good. Status could be removed  - there is no real info switch that could be used with fbserver/fbmgr.

#4 2005-03-07 06:43:37

god

Um... could you please help me with php? You make it sound so easy wink I mucked around with php's PKGBUILD and added --with-interbase=shared,/opt/firebird after installing your firebird pkg (which is exquisite, might I add). Everything compiles like a charm. I even get an interbase.so to finally show up in /usr/lib/php, but the php runtime gives me a weird error:

PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Invalid library (maybe not a PHP library) 'interbase.so'  in Unknown on line 0

Any clues or tips?

Thanks again,

God

#5 2005-03-31 08:29:36

sven

god: You still got that problem with php? I got so occupied with my projects that I didn't have the time to visit here... I'll see what parameters I used for php and get back to you soon. I made a customized package of the older versions of apache and php.

#6 2005-03-31 11:38:50

god

Thanks, that would be great!

#7 2005-03-31 20:01:16

sven

Here is this Apache package now. Good luck!

Board footer