You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-03 18:57:30

originalsurfmex

trying remotely access my computer that is in a campus room

i learned that i cannot just make my computer a webserver/mediaserver with lamp and ddns and have it accessible from outside my campus because all the ports are likely blocked. 
(http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 98#p785898)

so i need to set something up.  the end goal is to be able to access my computer via any web-browser.  vpn was suggested, but openvpn doesnt allow that, i can't find any vpn solutions that allow this for free and on linux. (hamachi doesnt work right on linux anymore)

i know that orb and homepipe do this (i successfully did it in windows on my dualboot machine), but they are windows only.  i really like mediatomb and wish i could somehow access it from outside my room/campus.  oh well, i have a lot to learn about this networking stuff - - - any other ideas for what i'm trying to do?  i really want to accomplish this with arch and not windows.

Last edited by originalsurfmex (2010-07-03 18:58:28)

#2 2010-07-06 22:39:36

originalsurfmex

Re: trying remotely access my computer that is in a campus room

...sigh...i guess i have to give up on this idea?  i just figured that becuase orb and homepipe do it, there must be a way i can do it too...

oh well.

#3 2010-07-06 23:21:18

tomk
Forum Fellow

How do orb and homepipe do it? That's what you should be looking at.

#4 2010-07-06 23:45:08

sand_man

Someone asked about this here some time ago and there was a reference to some software that allows a server to be run behind a NAT without port forwarding. Sounds impossible but apparently it works. I've tried googling to find out the name but having no luck.

neutral

#5 2010-07-07 01:33:18

ewaller
Administrator

Can it receive email?  ?
If it is just for your use, you might try this:

Write something that monitors incoming email.  It could be something that periodically queries a pop server, or could just look for changes in a local mail drop directory when a mail client (kmail, thunderbird, whatever) is running

Set it up so you can send it an email with a trigger message in the subject line and with  contact information in the body.  When your script detects an appropriate email, have it initiate a connection to the machine you want to access it from (presumably based in the information provided in the email).

I don't have an off-the-shelf solution.  It sounds like a possible weekend project.

Last edited by ewaller (2010-07-07 01:33:50)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2010-07-07 03:21:45

logd

sand_man wrote:

Someone asked about this here some time ago and there was a reference to some software that allows a server to be run behind a NAT without port forwarding. Sounds impossible but apparently it works. I've tried googling to find out the name but having no luck.

UPnP?

@originalsurfmex I'm not sure if this will work for you on a campus and for your particular needs, but check this out:http://barracudaserver.com/products/tools/upnp/

Other then having router access and/or coming back out port 80 im not sure about all this.

Last edited by logd (2010-07-07 03:29:45)

#7 2010-07-07 09:34:51

crankyadmin
Website

Reverse ssh tunnel will do what you want.

Google should reveal all.

:: Github :: My AUR :: Coreboot ::

#8 2010-07-07 11:38:57

SanskritFritz
Website

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#9 2010-07-07 11:48:27

crankyadmin
Website

Now you don't even need to google! big_smile

:: Github :: My AUR :: Coreboot ::

#10 2010-07-07 13:06:44

ewaller
Administrator

crankyadmin wrote:

Now you don't even need to google! big_smile

Expanding on my previous post.  Rather than set up a cron job as in the above article, trigger the reverse connection with a daemon that watches the incoming mail.  The weekend project just turned into an hour or two.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#11 2010-07-07 13:19:53

SanskritFritz
Website

Nice idea!

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

Board footer