You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-08 13:10:03

Varg

[SOLVED] KDE icons on panels are owned by root.

Hi,

I'm posting this here since I'm not sure whether the problem is related to KDE or to how I configured my setup.

Like the title says, all the application shortcuts that I make on the panels are owned by root. I just open the Kickoff application launcher, drag and drop the application to the desired panel.
There is no problem launching the applications and I can remove the icons from the panel without any problem. I only noticed it when I wanted to change a icons from one of the applicatons by right-click > icon properties. This is the method I always used when I was running KDE4 on Mandriva, all the icons where owned by me.

I installed Arch Linux yesterday, so my first thought was that I did some of the configurations as root and not as user. I checked the wiki again, the only file that starts X and KDE should be  ~/.xinitrc (?). The file is created as user and the permissions tab in dolphin says it is owned by me.
I noticed the following in the wiki:

In the future, after the DE of choice is installed and if trouble with automounting is experienced, try using the following command in ~/.xinitrc instead. (Replace "startxfce4" with the command that is appropriate for your window manager/DE.)

exec ck-launch-session startxfce4

This will ensure the various environment variables are set correctly by starting a clean consolekit session. ConsoleKit is a framework for keeping track of the various users, sessions, and seats present on a system. It provides a mechanism for software to react to changes of any of these items or of any of the metadata associated with them. It works in conjunction with dbus, and other tools.

I changed the startkde line in .xinitrc with that one ( of coarse with kde instead of xfce4 ) but with no result.

I renamed the existing .kde4 folder, logged out and logged back in without any result. I created a new user with KUser and logged in with that user with the same problem.

I do not log in the KDE session as root.

Chances are big that I missed some configuration somewhere but I can't find it, or is it a KDE bug ?

Or would this post fit better in the desktop environments topic ?

Thanks,
Varg

EDIT:

Apparently this is normal behavior for KDE 4.4, I liked the way how KDE 4.3 handled it more.

Last edited by Varg (2010-07-09 07:54:59)

Board footer