You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-25 16:05:24

Chimera

[SOLVED] pacman mirror problems

It seems that my preferred mirror (mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca) is down, so I commented it out of /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist. However, pacman still insists on trying to download from this mirror EVERY TIME it tries to install or update a package
So each package takes about 15 seconds to say:

error: failed retrieving file 'gcc-4.5.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca: Connection timed out

before trying another mirror.

Is there an option to make sure pacman is using the mirrors specified in the mirrorlist, or to not use a certain mirror? I can't find anything in the man page or wiki.
thanks.

Last edited by Chimera (2010-04-25 19:10:36)

#2 2010-04-25 16:31:03

kalpik
Website

Re: [SOLVED] pacman mirror problems

pacman -Syy

#3 2010-04-25 18:06:13

electricaltape

Yes, I had a similar problem a while back when I forgot to add a non-core mirror which resulted in hilarious errors. You need to tell pacman to update itself with 'pacman -Syy'

Creativity is the fundamental motivator. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

#4 2010-04-25 19:07:52

Chimera

uh...It still has the connection time out problem, and is still trying to use the waterloo mirror. It also timed-out a lot while executing "pacman -Syy", and just a few minutes ago it timed out using the "kernel" mirror, but that was a one time thing. At least the system upgrade eventually finished--took about 30 minutes for 30 packages.:/

*nvm, regular installs and single package updates go fine now. It seems to just be using the "y" option that makes it suck, and I think I know why.
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Chimera (2010-04-25 19:09:46)

#5 2010-07-08 01:32:53

EvilRobot

I know this thread is marked solved but I've just run into the same problem and was wondering how you fixed this issue?

When I run pacman -Syu I get:
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca : Connection timed out

So I guess this is the same problem. It's weird though because I'm still able to search for packages without the connection timing out. I did check the mirrors status and it still seems to be up so I don't think that's an issue.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry in advance if I've done something wrong by posting in a thread marked solved.

#6 2010-07-08 02:19:37

herrvideman

I know this thread is marked solved but I've just run into the same problem and was wondering how you fixed this issue?

error: failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca : Connection timed out

So I guess this is the same problem. It's weird though because I'm still able to search for packages without the connection timing out. I did check the mirrors status and it still seems to be up so I don't think that's an issue.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry in advance if I've done something wrong by posting in a thread marked solved.

Shot in the dark but I had a similar problem. The way I fixed it (and I'm still not sure why it worked) but I manually entered my DNS servers into my network manager applet. I don't know if you use Gnome, KDE, or whatever (I use KDE), but that worked for some reason. Maybe you could try it.

#7 2010-07-08 13:22:10

EvilRobot

herrvideman wrote:

Shot in the dark but I had a similar problem. The way I fixed it (and I'm still not sure why it worked) but I manually entered my DNS servers into my network manager applet. I don't know if you use Gnome, KDE, or whatever (I use KDE), but that worked for some reason. Maybe you could try it.

Thanks for the response, yes I'm using Gnome and networkmanager applet 0.8. I'm not too sure what you mean by entering the DNS server in the network manager applet. Are you suggesting that I enter my ip address (the one assigned to me by my ISP) into the BSSID or MAC address field? Those are the only two fields that I see when I select my connection and click edit in the network manager applet, unless I go to the security settings or one of the IPv tabs.

I was able to update my system after uncommenting the kernel.org mirror, so maybe it is the mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca. Too bad mirrors don't have a blog or something to post news/status updates on it could prove helpful when problems like this occur. Then again that would mean more maintenance for them and I can understand why it might be considered too much work. I guess https://www.archlinux.de/?page=MirrorStatus works good enough.

#8 2010-07-08 14:18:51

herrvideman

I should have been more clear. Using the network manager applet (the GUI interface for networkmanager daemon) I edited my wireless connection. I found my DNS servers (that my ISP gave me) through my router config page. I listed those in my connection window for my wireless (instead of networkdaemon finding those out for itself).

But if it's working now don't bother with any of this.

Last edited by herrvideman (2010-07-08 14:25:04)

#9 2010-07-08 14:29:23

EvilRobot

Okay, I get it now. Like you said no reason to do this now but still good to Know.

Thanks for the help.

Board footer