You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-09 07:15:58

samuele.mattiuzzo
Website

Check for ".program" folders no more needed and remove them

Hi all, today i was thinking if there's a way to keep my home clean by checking wheter a ".program" folder is no more needed (because i uninstalled something maybe)
can i do that automatically, maybe using pacman / yaourt ? and also, how do i check if a package i installed is no more used? i know if i use yaourt -Qtdq i can check for packages installed as dependency but i don't think this wll tell me if they're needed or not, or am i wrong?

thanks to everyone!

#2 2010-07-09 07:52:19

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Check for ".program" folders no more needed and remove them

Not sure on the first question, doubt that would be very easy to do, since there's no real 'association' between your folders and the app itself, they're created at run-time by the app therefore are not included in the pacman database.

On the second one, check man pacman on what exactly -Qdtq does. However, by 'needed' you mean the subjective "I haven't used this app in 3 months and I don't think I want it anymore), no package management program in the world can read your mind that way =p

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-07-09 08:01:23

samuele.mattiuzzo
Website

lol tongue nope by needed i mean packages installed as dependencies but not used anymore by any program smile
-Qdtq sometimes screws up (it told me i didn't need a lib32 package because nothing was using it... but i have bin32-skype, and that package was a needed dependency)

#4 2010-07-09 16:10:01

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

-Qdtq has never let me down before. What exactly did you run? If you've hit a bug the pacman devs should be informed.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer