You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-07 14:26:59

dp
Website

burn music-CD ... directly from OGG or MP3 records

the task:

i help some people to master a CD (play instruments, sing : and record it on a archlinux to OGG and MP3 --- some songs we made in ogg, some in mp3 ... yes, i know ogg is much better, but some people want to be able to listen it on a mp3-player directly)

we have now some OGG and some MP3 files created from line-in (recorded in WAV and then lame or oggenc them)

now the tricky question:

what program would you use to burn the MP3 and OGG  files directly to CD on a IDE-BURNER

// i dont want to use the ide-scsi module in lilo because this is also a DVD-drive

// i know that it is very easy if you encode the files back to WAV, but there must be a more elegant way

i know of gtoaster, but you must have a scsi-burner or one working with ide-scsi at bootup

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2003-10-07 15:44:39

sarah31
Website

Re: burn music-CD ... directly from OGG or MP3 records

well all mp3 or oggs have to be put to wavs first to be then burned as audio. i belive all gui/frontends do this in a hidden process.

you could try unloading the ide-cd module then loading the ide-scsi. you need the emulation to burn there are just no two ways about it.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-10-07 16:12:24

zen_guerrilla

I record mp3s & oggs to audio cd with the following script I wrote :

#!/bin/sh
SPEED=24
DEVICE=0,0,0
DRIVEROPTS=burnproof

echo "Converting mp3 to wav files"
for MP3 in *.mp3; do
  mpg123 -r 44100 --stereo -w "$MP3.wav" "$f"
done

echo "Converting ogg to wav files"
for OGG in *.ogg; do
  ogg123 -d wav -f "$OGG.wav" "$i"
done

if [ -x /usr/bin/normalize ]; then
  echo "Normalizing tracks"
  normalize -bv *.wav
fi

echo "Writing audio cd"
cdrecord speed=$SPEED dev=$DEVICE driveropts=$DRIVEROPTS -v -eject -pad -audio -dao *.wav 

rm -f *.wav

(install normalize to have volumes normalized smile)
Simply change SPEED,DEVICE,DRIVEROPTS to match your system. To write a cd-r using atapi directly (without ide-scsi) you need cdrtools v.2.01a (I could send the PKGBUILD if you want), and check your devices with

cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI

and instead of using ie, dev=0,0,0 use dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 with cdrecord.
Note that it doesn't produce the expected results (at least for me), so I'd suggest to stick to ide-scsi till kernel-2.6.0 & cdrtools-2.01 (not alpha).

#4 2003-10-07 16:24:39

dp
Website

sarah31 wrote:

well all mp3 or oggs have to be put to wavs first to be then burned as audio. i belive all gui/frontends do this in a hidden process.

you could try unloading the ide-cd module then loading the ide-scsi. you need the emulation to burn there are just no two ways about it.

i use xcdroast to access the atapi-cdrw device directly without problems ... just wondered if there is a gtoaster-like frontend that has the ability to run a mp3->wav "on the fly" (in a fast way) and the ability to access atapi burners

unload the ide-cd module? is the primary cd accessed over a module by default? (actually it just worked out of the box since the 2.2.3 kernel) ... on my machine there is no ide-cd loaded for using the cd, but it sounds interesting what you think of:

boot with ide-cd
if you want to burn a cd: unload ide-cd and load ide-scsi
after burning, just unload ide-scsi and load ide-cd ... now i have to find out how to tell the kernel to use the module and not the internal driver

#5 2003-10-07 16:36:04

dp
Website

zen_guerrilla wrote:

I record mp3s & oggs to audio cd with the following script I wrote :

#!/bin/sh
SPEED=24
DEVICE=0,0,0
DRIVEROPTS=burnproof

echo "Converting mp3 to wav files"
for MP3 in *.mp3; do
  mpg123 -r 44100 --stereo -w "$MP3.wav" "$f"
done

echo "Converting ogg to wav files"
for OGG in *.ogg; do
  ogg123 -d wav -f "$OGG.wav" "$i"
done

if [ -x /usr/bin/normalize ]; then
  echo "Normalizing tracks"
  normalize -bv *.wav
fi

echo "Writing audio cd"
cdrecord speed=$SPEED dev=$DEVICE driveropts=$DRIVEROPTS -v -eject -pad -audio -dao *.wav 

rm -f *.wav

(install normalize to have volumes normalized smile)
Simply change SPEED,DEVICE,DRIVEROPTS to match your system. To write a cd-r using atapi directly (without ide-scsi) you need cdrtools v.2.01a (I could send the PKGBUILD if you want), and check your devices with

cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI

and instead of using ie, dev=0,0,0 use dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 with cdrecord.
Note that it doesn't produce the expected results (at least for me), so I'd suggest to stick to ide-scsi till kernel-2.6.0 & cdrtools-2.01 (not alpha).

about ATAPI:0,0,0 ... that's exactly how it works with xcdroast and cdrecord also with cdrtools 2.00 (the arch package) ... the only thing is: the gtoaster is too old to have such an option: you can only tell what scsi id it should use ... and "ATAPI:0,0,0" do not work as scsi-id... i tried wink

your script is great, because it is easy ... but not really "on the fly" (as files are being generated) ... i would use it, but it is not only me to use such a solution, so it must be a little bit user friendlier (... a nice gui --- i know that the word "gui" actually leads to alergical reactions in the archlinux comunity, and i agree in a lot of pooint f views, but it is not me the enduser ...)

#6 2004-02-11 11:13:26

hApy
Website

dp wrote:

about ATAPI:0,0,0 ... that's exactly how it works with xcdroast and cdrecord also with cdrtools 2.00 (the arch package) ... the only thing is: the gtoaster is too old to have such an option: you can only tell what scsi id it should use ... and "ATAPI:0,0,0" do not work as scsi-id... i tried wink

actually this works for gToaster if you clear out your old ide-scsi settings, add a new device in the preferences, set like so:

device name/file:
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0

SCSI ID:
ATAPI:0,0,0

mountpoint:
/mnt/cdrom

and make sure you don't have the "use alternative client" button selected (so it uses the default: cdrecord... unless you use cvs cdrdao, maybe that works?).

Hapy.

Board footer