You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-10 04:04:30

lostinpurdy

xcompmgr question

I love using xcompmgr with my wm (pekwm) however it's impossible to use something like a screensaver as a background. But what if I used Nautilus or Rox in desktop mode and then use a screensaver as it's background there - would that work? It should work since the screensaver background would then be part of Rox/Nautilus instead of being in the root window, right?

#2 2010-07-10 04:10:33

empthollow

Re: xcompmgr question

I have not tried to use a screensaver as my background but your theory is sound.  If the background is controled by a program other than you wm it stands to reason you can take advantage of any features that program (i.e. nautilus)has.

--empthollow
Check out my Arch based live distro http://fluxcapacity.99k.org

#3 2010-07-10 04:30:17

lostinpurdy

Begs the question if either Nautilus or Rox supports the use of screensavers as their background. I used to set my animated/xscreensaver background with /var/lib/xscreensaver/screensaverfile --root. Would there be a way to send the screensaver to Nautilus/Rox? With feh, perhaps?

PS: Something just occoured to me - if Rox/Nautilus are called up in desktop mode would they sit at root level or above that?

Last edited by lostinpurdy (2010-07-10 04:32:49)

#4 2010-07-10 04:42:14

empthollow

I'm not sure about how to send the screensaver via feh, good Idea though.  As for you PS, I think the answer is above.  If I start nautilus in fluxbox it will cover the desktop and instead of the fluxbox root menu I get the nautilus right click menu.  I use fbsetbg/Eterm for my background but that doesn't support a slide show or screensaver.

--empthollow
Check out my Arch based live distro http://fluxcapacity.99k.org

Board footer