You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-22 14:01:40

felace

kernel26-ice , installation using yaourt ignored.

Hi,

I (shouldn't have tongue) upgraded my system and broke it because I was using the .33-ice kernel and forgot blacklisting a few components.

My login manager (slim) complains about version inconsistency between nvidia drivers (I had nvidia-ice installed but the recent upgrade had installed a stock driver newer than I have), so I have no graphical environment. When I tried installing the new nvidia-ice driver, it told it was "unable to determine the target kernel version".

So I thought I should just upgrade the kernel26-ice package then try it again, but after hours and hours of compilation, it simply isn't marked as installed (did this twice from yaourt and once manually). I still have the older version number shown as installed and it's still using the old kernel (even after a reboot, according to uname) - unless I boot from vanilla.

I have just modified the pkgbuild and install files of nvidia-ice to build it (and it worked somehow), but why can't I install the -ice kernel ?

Also, offtopic : my hostname is missing (it' blabla@(none)) and keyboard layout is broken, are those possibly related ?

Thanks.

Last edited by felace (2010-06-22 14:05:53)

#2 2010-06-23 01:30:14

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: kernel26-ice , installation using yaourt ignored.

No error messages, no details of what you've done (with possible pastebin) means any suggestions here are going to be a crapshoot.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-07-10 15:22:34

felace

Re: kernel26-ice , installation using yaourt ignored.

I did a pacman -Syu, which upgraded kernel26 and nvidia driver. Then, tried to install kernel26-ice with yaourt.

I looked at what was happening about every half an hour and it seemed like it was compiling/patching/whatever as usual and got no error messages ; it looked like kernel26-ice was installed normally, with yaourt outputting the usual aurvote message at the end and nothing indicating there was an error.

Did a reboot, found out I forgot upgrading nvidia-ice (thus, no login screen) , which I couldn't since it told me my kernel is "old" . When I queried what version kernel26-ice was, I saw it hadn't been upgraded at all. I didn't have any problem booting with the stock kernel.

Modified pkgbuild of nvidia-ice so it would install on the "old" kernel26-ice, it works fine (or so I think) since then. I thought it didn't upgrade since there already was a kernel with the same version, so ignored it for the time being :

aur/kernel26-ice 2.6.34-2 [2.6.33-6 installed]
core/kernel26 2.6.34.1-1 [2.6.34-2 installed]

Today, I saw that nvidia drivers have been updated (but I can't install them because of the said conflicts), and I don't want to mess it up even more before correctly fixing this.

I didn't do anything else nor have found any message/log/etc related to this , any tips on how to find one are welcome.

Board footer