You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-11 19:21:41

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Sigo - CLI app to query Google AJAX Search API via HTTPS and Tor

This was inspired by posts from this thread.

Sigo is basically just a CLI interface to Google's AJAX Search API (documentation). It's written in Python and can use e.g. Tor via Privoxy to anonymously pass the request to Google. It uses HTTPS so it should keep your data private even from snooping proxies and exit nodes. I may have missed something though. As with everything else I post, there are no warranties, neither implied nor explicit.

It currently just dumps the JSON output to the command line using Python's pretty printer. This is good enough for me at the moment because urxvt converts the URLs to links that open in my browser. Feel free to submit output formatters though.

You can find the latest version here.

Before anyone starts going off about how this is unnecessary, silly, stupid, pointless, <insert more negative terms>,  let me state that I only wrote this for fun after I saw linkmaster03's post in the other thread. I know there are others who enjoy the ability to access Google's search results anonymously and privately so I decided to share. Scroogle user might be interested in this as it can be used to search images, videos, news, books, etc. in addtion to the default search.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Board footer