You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-16 00:06:09

curlywurlycraig

High-res CLI and dhcpcd stops working after installation is finished.

Hey, I'm new here, but I used Arch about a year ago and I loved it. I got pretty good at using Linux and then after a while I stopped using it for certain reasons. Since then, I have used Windows 7 as I liked it, but I would like to switch back to Arch, since simply, it's fantastic! tongue

Anyway, I downloaded and burned the 64 bit iso and ran the setup. Everything went great and all was happy and swell until the installation ended and I rebooted. When the computer turned back on, it started booting in the familiar arch style, until it got to the step about "Udev". Can't remember what it says. When it got to this stage, the screen wen't fully black as if it had been switched off, and turned back on again with a much higher resolution cursor right in the middle of the screen (if you, which I imagine you have, have ever booted straight into X without a WM, and the screen turns off and then back on with the X cursor in the middle, it's a bit like that except it was a flashing CLI underscore cursor).

I pressed Ctrl + C and this caused the startup to run through the rest of the steps, but it was very high resolution. When this ended, I could log in, but it was displayed as "[root@(none)]#" or something similar. I definitely remember "none" being in the brackets.

When logged in, I could pretty much use bash as I normally would, except that running dhcpcd would result in an error due to a "Read only file". This was an annoyance since if it wasn't for this, the other problems would just be minor annoyances until I got a GUI up and running. Although I would rather my Arch install was as perfect as possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if I've missed something very silly roll.

Thanks very much for any help, it's much appreciated!

#2 2010-05-16 00:38:20

Runiq

Re: High-res CLI and dhcpcd stops working after installation is finished.

Don't skip through the modules loading step by pressing Ctrl+C. When your display switches resolution, the module responsible for KMS just got loaded, which is actually a good thing, and your system might still load some modules after that which are necessary for the system to work at all.

Also, post the exact error message of dhcpcd (or at least the file it said was read-only).

That being said: They always come back. Welcome! wink

#3 2010-05-16 00:43:18

curlywurlycraig

Thanks for the fast reply.

Well the thing is, the first time this happened I actually let it sit for at least five minutes, and it just sat there with the flashing cursor in the middle of the screen. The hard drive access indicator wasn't flashing either. It just didn't seem to be doing anything.

The error was: "dhcpcd: open `/var/run/dhcpcd.pid': Read-only file system".
I have a feeling that this is just one of many errors being created as a result of something else, and so fixing this problem wont fix them all.

Yeah I couldn't resist!

I'm off for the night, so I'll check this in the morning. Thanks for your help.

#4 2010-05-16 08:46:58

Runiq

I know, the module loading step has been sluggish for me for quite a while. Should have probably filed a bug report for that about now, but I'm lazy… The most it should take is three minutes, after that it times out (had that happen only once so far). ust let it run through once, stop the time, and if it doesn't do anything after three minutes, something's probably wrong with it. It's no problem if the HD indicator isn't indicating anything, though. smile

As for the dhcpcd thing, I really don't know much about it – did you run it using sudo/su? Perhaps your /var wasn't mounted with proper write permissions because you skipped the module loading step?

Last edited by Runiq (2010-05-16 08:47:18)

#5 2010-05-16 09:12:00

curlywurlycraig

Right i'll try that out this morning and see if it works.

I actually have been logging in as root because I haven't even had the chance to make a new user yet, so I think you're probably right about it being because of the skipped step. smile

Edit:

You were right, it just took ages. When it finished though, it printed:

/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/host1/target1:0:0/1:0:0:0

loads of times but with a 4 digit number in brackets at the end which was different for each line, and then it got stuck at "Setting Consoles to UTF-8 mode"

I looked that up and someone had a problem with that due to a kernel change, do you think that is causing me problems too?

Looks like Arch just doesn't work with my laptop sad.

Last edited by curlywurlycraig (2010-05-17 12:11:09)

#6 2010-06-16 19:50:53

curlywurlycraig

Sorry for the bump, but is it likely that this is something to do with my daemons? I added hal at the end of the daemons list, and I just thought, perhaps I have them in the wrong order?

#7 2010-06-21 20:02:34

curlywurlycraig

It seems like the entire bootup process has problems. It used to take less than 20 seconds to see a login prompt, now it takes at least 5 minutes. It's not a problm with my laptop either, other distributions are fine. It's very frustrating because I love Arch! sad.

#8 2010-06-22 11:19:03

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

can you post your rc.conf?

#9 2010-06-23 17:04:18

curlywurlycraig

#
# /etc/rc.conf - Main Configuration for Arch Linux
#

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
# LOCALIZATION
#
# LOCALE: available languages can be listed with the 'locale -a' command
# HARDWARECLOCK: set to "UTC" or "localtime", any other value will result
#   in the hardware clock being left untouched (useful for virtualization)
# TIMEZONE: timezones are found in /usr/share/zoneinfo
# KEYMAP: keymaps are found in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps
# CONSOLEFONT: found in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts (only needed for non-US)
# CONSOLEMAP: found in /usr/share/kbd/consoletrans
# USECOLOR: use ANSI color sequences in startup messages
#
LOCALE="en_US.UTF-8"
HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"
TIMEZONE="Europe/London"
KEYMAP="us"
CONSOLEFONT=
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"

# HARDWARE
#
# MOD_AUTOLOAD: Allow autoloading of modules at boot and when needed
# MOD_BLACKLIST: Prevent udev from loading these modules
# MODULES: Modules to load at boot-up. Prefix with a ! to blacklist.
#
# NOTE: Use of 'MOD_BLACKLIST' is deprecated. Please use ! in the MODULES array.
#
MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes"
#MOD_BLACKLIST=() #deprecated
MODULES=()

# Scan for LVM volume groups at startup, required if you use LVM
USELVM="no"

# NETWORKING
#
# HOSTNAME: Hostname of machine. Should also be put in /etc/hosts
#
HOSTNAME="myhost"

# Use 'ifconfig -a' or 'ls /sys/class/net/' to see all available interfaces.
#
# Interfaces to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each interface then list in INTERFACES
#   - prefix an entry in INTERFACES with a ! to disable it
#   - no hyphens in your interface names - Bash doesn't like it
# 
# DHCP:     Set your interface to "dhcp" (eth0="dhcp")
# Wireless: See network profiles below
#

#Static IP example
#eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0)

# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each route then list in ROUTES
#   - prefix an entry in ROUTES with a ! to disable it
#
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

# Enable these network profiles at boot-up.  These are only useful
# if you happen to need multiple network configurations (ie, laptop users)
#   - set to 'menu' to present a menu during boot-up (dialog package required)
#   - prefix an entry with a ! to disable it
#
# Network profiles are found in /etc/network.d
#
# This now requires the netcfg package
#
#NETWORKS=(main)

# DAEMONS
#
# Daemons to start at boot-up (in this order)
#   - prefix a daemon with a ! to disable it
#   - prefix a daemon with a @ to start it up in the background
#
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus hal network netfs crond wicd)

I'm not sure if wicd is supposed to be in there, but that's not the problem. Although it cause the "Starting network" section to fail, it allowed wicd to be started so I didn't have to su -c 'wicd' everytime I started up.

Thanks.

#10 2010-07-06 05:06:21

bkadoctaj

curlywurlycraig wrote:
just a tasty rc.conf

I'm not sure if wicd is supposed to be in there, but that's not the problem. Although it cause the "Starting network" section to fail, it allowed wicd to be started so I didn't have to su -c 'wicd' everytime I started up.

Thanks.

Hi,

I was just wondering if you happen to have an Intel graphics card.  I'm running Arch 64-bit on a MacBook4,1 and I sometimes experience the flashing underscore following the boot message regarding Udev loading uevents.  In order to even get Arch to properly boot up on this laptop, I had to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst's kernel boot options to include "vga=773".  Did you do something similar?

Regardless, on my laptop the flashing cursor does not hang around for 5 minutes... maybe 3 at the most.  It's rather frustrating...

bkadoctaj

P.S. I'm pretty sure you should disable (!) network since you're using wicd.

Last edited by bkadoctaj (2010-07-06 05:08:09)

#11 2010-07-11 09:23:54

curlywurlycraig

Hey thanks for your concern smile,

I'm also running 64-bit, but I have an ATI graphics card. I'll try the menu.lst fix, as soon as I have reinstalled Arch, as soon as I saw this message I got my laptop and my Arch CD, and it is installing as I write this! I hadn't ever edited menu.lst

Maybe I can't measure time in my head well haha, it's possible it was only for 3 minutes, but yes, it's so annoying.

Thanks for the network tip also!

Craig

#12 2010-07-11 09:47:29

curlywurlycraig

It worked! You have no idea how pleased I am with this, you are my savior yikes. Thanks to everyone who tried to help! Hello again Arch!

Last edited by curlywurlycraig (2010-07-11 09:48:18)

#13 2010-07-11 10:53:56

curlywurlycraig

Oh dear, another problem. Now when I start X, the resolution is 1024x768, rather than 1366x768 as I need. I removed what you told me to add from the menu.lst, and it still boots fast, however the resolution is still wrong sad.

Whoops, sorry for the double post.

Okay, I think I have it, I forgot to move the file I got from X -configure roll

Last edited by curlywurlycraig (2010-07-11 11:02:43)

#14 2010-07-11 18:01:53

bkadoctaj

curlywurlycraig wrote:

Oh dear, another problem. Now when I start X, the resolution is 1024x768, rather than 1366x768 as I need. I removed what you told me to add from the menu.lst, and it still boots fast, however the resolution is still wrong sad.

Whoops, sorry for the double post.

Okay, I think I have it, I forgot to move the file I got from X -configure roll

Oh cool, X -configure worked?  tongue  Ever since about Xorg server 1.6 (we're on 1.8 now), X -configure has actually ruined my X display haha.  But of course that command is there for other people whose system it would work for.

I was able to resolve my issue as well, and I have to say the fix was utterly ridiculous.  I have the well-known MacBook 4,1 with the dirty Broadcom 4328 wireless adapter... and as a result I installed the proprietary driver from the AUR: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=19514.  I had to prevent udev from swapping the interface names on each boot, so I followed the instructions here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bro … every_time.  However I put ONE letter of the hexadecimal MAC address in capitals rather than lowercase... LOL  When I changed it to lowercase, I no longer was greeted by a flashing cursor in the middle of the screen at boot!  How random!  tongue

cool

#15 2010-07-11 18:54:53

curlywurlycraig

Actually, I think it has stopped X from showing anything! I was posting as things were happening, and so i ended up getting excited thinking I had fixed it when I hadn't really yikes. So I think I'm going to have to do it manually! I have fixed the boot issues however smile

Last edited by curlywurlycraig (2010-07-11 18:55:46)

#16 2010-07-11 18:57:54

bkadoctaj

curlywurlycraig wrote:

Actually, I think it has stopped X from showing anything! I was posting as things were happening, and so i ended up getting excited thinking I had fixed it when I hadn't really yikes. So I think I'm going to have to do it manually! I have fixed the boot issues however smile

So, you're saying that the default Xorg server 1.8 doesn't pick up your monitor settings correctly?

#17 2010-07-11 19:09:11

curlywurlycraig

Yeah it had the wrong resolution, and then it stopped displaying anything altogether when I reconfigured X.

#18 2010-07-11 20:04:28

bkadoctaj

Oh, but you actually did have an X display at least, even though at a lower resolution than you wanted?  smile  Well, that's definitely something to start with.  Yeah, X -configure isn't really that useful anymore.  I guess you just need to obtain your display's specifications...

#19 2010-07-11 20:39:04

curlywurlycraig

Yeah smile. You're right it is, I'm going to try manually configuring tomorrow because I'm not doing anything tomorrow!

I found my problem! I had installed the radeonhd drivers, and I thought that this may be wrong and so installed the radeon drivers, which worked perfectly! Weird considering my graphics card is a HD* :S. Ah well, I'm happy now! I fixed it smile.

Last edited by curlywurlycraig (2010-07-12 20:32:35)

Board footer