You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-12 01:35:31

Socialsymbol

[FIXED]Can't find/mount external hdd, hal and dbus failing to start.

I have dbus and hal listed in my rc.d config, with dbus preceeding hal, as well as pmount installed with lxde.

I'm assuming hal isn't starting when I first boot, as I can't find my external mounted anywhere, and when I attempt to start it in terminal I get this:

[zeus@myhost ~]$ /etc/rc.d/hal start
:: Starting Hardware Abstraction Layer                                   [FAIL]
[zeus@myhost ~]$ /etc/rc.d/dbus start
:: Starting D-BUS system messagebus                                      [BUSY] Failed to start message bus: The pid file "/var/run/dbus.pid" exists, if the message bus is not running, remove this file
                                                                         [FAIL]

I'm on x86_64 arch with the latest kernel. If you need any other info please just ask.

Last edited by Socialsymbol (2010-07-12 03:34:07)

#2 2010-07-12 02:02:22

empthollow

Re: [FIXED]Can't find/mount external hdd, hal and dbus failing to start.

I am not sure exactly what the problem is but I think I can help isolate what it is not.  The fact that hal fails and dbus says a pid exists suggest to me that they are in fact starting.  To verify this, run these commands right after your computer starts.
Check if hal is running:

ps -e | grep hald

Check if dbus is running:

ps -e | grep dbus-daemon

as long as something shows up, these programs are running.

In my expierence, hal nor dbus will not automatically mount an external hard drive unless you write a rule for it.  I have an external HD (usb) and I put an entry in my /etc/fstab refering to the drive by it's UUID and it mounts durring boot.  Alternatively you can check out the automount program but it takes a little configure.  I'll stop here in case I'm getting off topic.  Let me know it any of this helps.

--empthollow
Check out my Arch based live distro http://fluxcapacity.99k.org

#3 2010-07-12 02:15:50

Socialsymbol

empthollow wrote:

I am not sure exactly what the problem is but I think I can help isolate what it is not.  The fact that hal fails and dbus says a pid exists suggest to me that they are in fact starting.  To verify this, run these commands right after your computer starts.
Check if hal is running:

ps -e | grep hald

Check if dbus is running:

ps -e | grep dbus-daemon

as long as something shows up, these programs are running.

In my expierence, hal nor dbus will not automatically mount an external hard drive unless you write a rule for it.  I have an external HD (usb) and I put an entry in my /etc/fstab refering to the drive by it's UUID and it mounts durring boot.  Alternatively you can check out the automount program but it takes a little configure.  I'll stop here in case I'm getting off topic.  Let me know it any of this helps.

I get this output from the two commands you gave me:

[zeus@myhost ~]$ ps -e | grep hald
1698 ?        00:00:00 hald
1699 ?        00:00:00 hald-runner
1728 ?        00:00:00 hald-addon-inpu
1745 ?        00:00:00 hald-addon-acpi
1746 ?        00:00:00 hald-addon-stor
[zeus@myhost ~]$ ps -e | grep dbus-daemon
1690 ?        00:00:00 dbus-daemon
1873 ?        00:00:00 dbus-daemon
[zeus@myhost ~]$

So that means they are running? If so then why is it that when I set the command to start hal myself it lists it as a failure?

EDIT: when setting the command "blkid" it does list my external. I guess I'll just add it to the fstab. It still seems odd to me that it's listing the hal and dbus failure though.

Last edited by Socialsymbol (2010-07-12 02:17:44)

#4 2010-07-12 03:11:41

empthollow

try removing dbus from your daemon array in rc.conf.  hal starts dbus automatically so that may be where your conflict is.

--empthollow

#5 2010-07-12 03:23:22

Socialsymbol

empthollow wrote:

try removing dbus from your daemon array in rc.conf.  hal starts dbus automatically so that may be where your conflict is.

Ok.

Last question is just related to adding the drive in the fstab file. The drive I'm trying to add is labled "Anime and Movies", and is ntfs file system, and as I understand that means I can't add it to the fstab because of the spaces? How would I go about re-labling the drive then?

I think I could use gparted but I'm just trying to be cautious because this drive has all my backup/videos and everything on it.

Edit: Nevermind got it.

Last edited by Socialsymbol (2010-07-12 03:33:51)

#6 2010-07-12 03:38:13

empthollow

you should not need to change the name of the disk, I think quotations around the title should work.  If that does not work you can use the uuid instead of the label.  You can find the uuid by doing.

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

The output will show you which uuid links to which /dev entry.
Then in the fstab use a line like this:

UUID=bd0dfb90-3e59-4e91-8754-5b41187f4f6d    /media/Anime    ntfs-3g    auto,rw,users 0 0

you may need to add umask=000 after users to get write permissions.  It's been a little while since I setup an ntfs drive.

--empthollow

#7 2010-07-12 03:40:07

empthollow

Cool, looks like I missed your edit while I was typing.

--empthollow

Board footer