You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-11 23:29:45

Ben9250
Website

Custom AUR packages and Repos

Hello all, I've been reading around the wiki about custim repositories and using Archiso to build a live CD image to help if everything goes wrong. Basically I would like to make a custom repo to put all of my AUR stuff in as it includes wireless drivers and such. And I want to make sure I've got thing right.

To my understanding, I'm gonna be making this custom repository, on my hard drive (although there are those who can seek to add others custom repos to their pacman.conf) and I'm going to add it to a pkg.list so as when my live image is generated and put onto a CD it will include all of those packages.

I looked for some packages (namely braodcom-wl) I got from AUR using yaourt in such as my cache and various pacman files but I did not find them, so if I download the tarball and use makepkg after extracting the tarball it gives me a load of files, now do I put all of those files made by makepkg (for there are a few) in the directory I intend to be my custom repo (in this case a file in my home folder called "Benrepo"? or do i just need the tar.xz file in there (in this single case with this single drived :broadcom-wl-5.60.48.36-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz). Also, to make sure I understand correctly, I need to keep the packages in that directory after I've created the repo.db.tar.gz and keep repo.db.tat.gz with them? Although this seems odd keeping such a repository on my hard drive when it's main purpose (I figured) would be for the re-installation/maintanance of AUR packages without having to build them again if you needed to reinstall after a catastrophe - so finally should I move such a repo / recreate it afterwards on some sort of removable medium after I've gone a finished making my live cd with it?

Thanks in advance for clearing up these questions, they sprang to mind after reading the wiki pages.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-07-12 02:12:31

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: Custom AUR packages and Repos

Ben9250 wrote:

I looked for some packages (namely braodcom-wl) I got from AUR using yaourt in such as my cache and various pacman files but I did not find them, so if I download the tarball and use makepkg after extracting the tarball it gives me a load of files, now do I put all of those files made by makepkg (for there are a few) in the directory I intend to be my custom repo (in this case a file in my home folder called "Benrepo"? or do i just need the tar.xz file in there (in this single case with this single drived :broadcom-wl-5.60.48.36-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz).

After issuing makepkg what you should see are the tarball contents (PKGBUILD, install files, etc.), the source files used to make the package, the working directories for the build (pkg/ and src/) and the package itself (broadcom-wl-5.60.48.36-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz from your example above). The only thing you need for a private repo is the package.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2010-07-12 09:23:00

Ben9250
Website

Re: Custom AUR packages and Repos

Ok thanks. This #reponame#.db.tat.gz file thats created for the repo - do I need to put that anywhere specific for pacman before I add it to pacman.conf or can I just have it anywhere on the hard-disk/removable media as long as I define a URL/path (I'm guessing at Server=)

[EDIT] I believe this example just answered my question ^^ :

#[custom]
#Server = file:///home/custompkgs

Where the name is the named part of "#repo-name#.db.tar.gz"

Also making a repo yielded me a file "Bensrepo.db.tar.gz" which I expected but also a link file just called "Bensrepo.db" what (if anything) do I do with this?

I suppose another Option is Archie: http://user-contributions.org/archie.html but I'd rather like to do it myself using Archiso so I have a live USB/CD as close to my computer as possible to make it all eaiser to backup and boot if I screw something up.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-07-12 11:25:44)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

Board footer