You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-02 15:38:26

jerem

Laptop heat problems : need feedback

I own an Inspiron 8600, and it runs quite hot...

When in the console, everything is fine, the fans start when the computer is getting hot, and just stop when it reaches an acceptable temperature.

The problem is that, when I'm under X, the fans never start. And when I switch back to console, the fans start at full speed.

I **think** it has something to do with my kernel. I configured it to be preemptible, and it has all the acpi options enabled(apic, lapic, acpi, cpufreq, etc..). It is a monolithic vanilla 2.6.11.6 with only the drivers for my computer actually compiled in.

Does anyone have the same experience ?

P.S. : i have cpudyn running in the background and my freq is always down to 600Mhz, and speeds up to 1,4ghz when power is needed. Apart from that, I have no program or daemon which could be the source of the problem.
Anyway, I tested the fans without cpudyn, and it is the same behavior...

#2 2005-04-02 16:00:21

i3839

Re: Laptop heat problems : need feedback

Perhaps the videocard driver is causing it?

#3 2005-04-02 17:39:00

jerem

Re: Laptop heat problems : need feedback

The video driver is nvidia(latest, from Arch package)

My graphic card has its own fan, and both have the same strange behavior. They simply dont run when X is up, and go full speed when back to console.

There is another thing I noticed after my first message.
When I'm not on AC, ie when I'm using the battery, the computer seems not to get so hot as it would be on AC.

Board footer