You are not logged in.

#76 2010-07-07 20:19:04

anonymous_user

Re: qtFM - Small, fast, light Qt filemanager

How do you define multiple file types for a custom action?

Can you add a menu to change the sort order (name, size, type, date)?

#77 2010-07-08 14:45:22

shemz

This is cool. Thanks for the effort of developing it.

Wishlist: faster loading (just a marginally slow compared to other fms), cached thumbnail preserved over sessions, thumbnail size proportionate to the original image (presently all of them look square), a way to define sorting (currently I have to select list view and adjust the sort type and go back to icon view to have desired sorting, but it cannot be saved), bookmark renaming (cant name / in bookmark view, dunno if it is possible to define in the config file). And may be you can take the credits with an "About" option in the menu bar.

I think I will soon replace pcmanfm with this one as the lightweight fm of my choice. Keep up the good work. smile

Last edited by shemz (2010-07-08 14:48:55)

#78 2010-07-08 14:59:16

Wittfella

Hello, did some work on the issues.

1.7    8-July-2010
- added 'Show thumbnails' option.
- modified thumb loading, should be faster.
- modified custom actions to allow multiple filetypes per action. eg "jpg,jpeg,png"

So I played with the thumbs heaps, it should be much faster to load them now.  Also added an option to turn thumbs on/off.

@anonymous_user - I modified it so now you can add multiple filetypes per action, just use commas between.  You can sort in detail view, and it stays that when when you go back to list, is that what you mean?

@shemz - thumbnails are also now more proportional to their actual size also.

Cheers,
Witty

#79 2010-07-08 15:09:25

anonymous_user

Yes thats what I meant, though it would be nice to have a menu so you don't have to switch to detail view to change the sort order.

#80 2010-07-08 15:33:14

Wittfella

Oh I forgot, I haven't enabled thumbs cache between sessions but the code is there, its just commented out.  I wanted to think more about it before introducing problems.

At the moment the cache will keep growing, so if you are someone who regularly moves around folders with tons of pics for example it will keep adding new thumbs to the cache and not purge the outdated ones.  Probably not a huge problem, the cache is quite efficient and the thumbs are like 1k each or so but I know someone will have a 100mb cache in no time and it'll be a drama.  I need to do something smarter with it.

If your not constantly moving thousands of pics around it should be fine, give it a go if you like.  In the 'mymodel.cpp' file you will see two blocks of code commented out, one in each of the first two functions.  First one reads in at startup, second writes out on close.  Just uncomment both and rebuild.

#81 2010-07-08 16:52:06

shemz

Can you add two bookmarks each for /home/$user and / with predefined names. Is it possible to rename bookmarks in the config file?

And the sort order defined in current session is not preserved for the next session.

And for thumnail cache, how about having a function that should be called upon accessing a previously cached folder which would remove the old cache. A list of the folders paths cached already can be maintained for this. Just an idea.

I cannot find any source file named mymodel. Is the newer version updated on AUR?

Last edited by shemz (2010-07-08 16:53:51)

#82 2010-07-09 00:40:01

archman-cro
Website

@Wittfella: Hmm, is 1.7 in AUR, or am I missing something? Can't find it.

#83 2010-07-09 01:15:31

anonymous_user

The PKGBUILD hasn't been updated yet but 1.7 is up:

http://www.wittfella.com/qtfm-1.7.tar.gz

#84 2010-07-09 03:05:47

Wittfella

Ooops sorry, could of sworn I uploaded the new PKGBUILD last night, fixed now.

#85 2010-07-11 13:28:33

fiinix

Hey,

thank you for your nice file manager! It replaced PCManFM for me and made HAL unnecessary for me too. And since I need Qt for other packages anyway, that dependency fits my system perfectly. smile

Wittfella wrote:

I haven't done the folder properties thing yet, next thing on the list.

Looking forward to that one. And I have a few suggestions:

1. What I really liked in PCManFM was the ability to mount/unmount partitions and removable media. I already installed pmount to be able to do that without hal, but it would be nice to have a section, maybe in the bookmarks view, where partitions are listed and can be clicked to view, mounted or unmounted. Maybe with a configurable command (like "pmount" in my case or "mount"/"umount" for others, etc.)

2. For now we can choose to view either the bookmarks view or the folder tree. Personally I like to use both regularly. How about a tiled left section where you can choose both to be activated? Maybe a second button for the folder tree view... Or even better: how about the ability to move the bookmarks view and the folder tree view like the buttons and the adress bar?

3. One thing I like about qtFM is (obviously) its simplicity and that right-clicking on a file doesn't shows me just the options I need. I would also like to be able to hide some of the buttons like the view buttons and the delete button. Not using them ever, having them in the menu bar is enough for me...

4. How about an "undo"-option in the menu bar? I'm still clumsy with my touchpad. Once I unintentionally moved a folder in the folder tree view and could have needed that feature tongue

Anyway, PCManFM is replaced and your file manager is a great piece of work! Thanks alot! big_smile

EDIT:
5. I also like one-click-navigation: entering a folder and opening a file with a single instead of a double click. Option for that would be nice. Marking a file/folder could be through pointing on it long enough or in details view clicking on the line of the file/folder where the name has ended. In icon view marking could be through clicking on the name instead on the icon.

Last edited by fiinix (2010-07-11 16:28:41)

#86 2010-07-12 00:57:28

archman-cro
Website

I've removed Thunar and some of its deps, since I've found out a way to see the occupation of the folder plus its subfolders with 'du -sh'. I've also broke my system a little trying to remove polkit and consolekit, which were used for hal and thunar, I think. big_smile I needed to get the file associations again now and everything's ok. smile

#87 2010-07-13 17:09:25

slumslayer

Thanks for this really nice file manager big_smile
I think I've found a bug: I can't rename a file if the owner is not the user or the group is not "users".
It works fine in shell:

~ > touch test
 ~ > chmod 664 test
 ~ > sudo chown root:storage test
 ~ > ls -l test
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root storage 0 13 jui 18:47 test
 ~ > groups
audio optical storage power users
 ~ > mv test test2
 ~ > ls -l test*
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root storage 0 13 jui 18:47 test2

However, when I try to rename the file with qtfm (by rightclicking on it, F2 does nothing), I get:

edit: editing failed

Changing the group to users allows me to rename the file.

#88 2010-07-13 21:09:32

Spot

I'd like to try out your filemanager, but I've got till md5sum problems with the newest version sad

[ich@Terra ~]$ makepkg
==> Erstelle Paket: qtfm 1.7-1 (Di 13. Jul 23:05:25 CEST 2010)
==> Prüfe Laufzeit-Abhängigkeiten...
==> Prüfe Buildtime-Abhängigkeiten...
==> Empfange Quellen...
  -> Lade qtfm-1.7.tar.gz herunter...
[...]
In »»qtfm-1.7.tar.gz.part«« speichern.

100%[======================================>] 39.829       143K/s   in 0,3s   

2010-07-13 23:05:27 (143 KB/s) - »»qtfm-1.7.tar.gz.part«« gespeichert [39829/39829]

==> Überprüfe Gültigkeit der Quell-Dateien mit md5sums...
    qtfm-1.7.tar.gz ... FEHLGESCHLAGEN
==> FEHLER: Eine oder mehrere Dateien überstanden nicht die Gültigkeits-Prüfung!
[ich@Terra ~]$

Translation of the last error part:

==> Validating source files with md5sums...
qtfm-1.7.tar.gz ... FAILED
==> ERROR: One or more files did not pass the validity check!

The PKGBUILD I used:

# Contributor: Wittfella <wittfella@wittfella.com>
pkgname=qtfm
pkgver=1.7
pkgrel=0
pkgdesc="A lightweight file manager"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://www.wittfella.com"
license=('GPL')
depends=('qt')
source=(http://www.wittfella.com/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=('1d26212d6862aac72a493621c1b80d9a')

build() {
  cd "$startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver"

qmake || return 1
   make || return 1

install -Dm 755 ${startdir}/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/qtfm ${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin/qtfm

install -Dm 644 ${startdir}/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/qtfm.desktop ${startdir}/pkg/usr/share/applications/qtfm.desktop

install -Dm 644 ${startdir}/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/images/qtfm.png ${startdir}/pkg/usr/share/pixmaps/qtfm.png
}

Last edited by Spot (2010-07-13 21:14:55)

#89 2010-07-13 21:28:12

anonymous_user

Download the PKGBUILD again, your md5 is different:

# Contributor: Wittfella <wittfella@wittfella.com>
pkgname=qtfm
pkgver=1.7
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A lightweight file manager"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://www.wittfella.com"
license=('GPL')
depends=('qt')
source=(http://www.wittfella.com/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=('94aef66289738e65ec8cf5eb2ecabb18')

build() {
  cd "$startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver"

qmake || return 1
   make || return 1

install -Dm 755 ${startdir}/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/qtfm ${startdir}/pkg/usr/bin/qtfm

install -Dm 644 ${startdir}/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/qtfm.desktop ${startdir}/pkg/usr/share/applications/qtfm.desktop

install -Dm 644 ${startdir}/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/images/qtfm.png ${startdir}/pkg/usr/share/pixmaps/qtfm.png
}

#90 2010-07-14 11:46:36

Spot

Thanks, with the replaced md5sum, I can install qtfm smile

It's nice ! I like this tiny filemanager, but on the contrary to my thunar I'm using, there some things I dislike sad

- The Order is upside-down (Z-A) and not A-Z
- Files are shown first, not folders.
- Bookmarks are replacing the folderlisting on the left side, instead of being added to them like in Thunar

How can I change the Icons to the blue ones my Thunar is using ?

An image of Thunar & qtfm

2010-07-14-132435_1050f7lw.png

#91 2010-07-14 14:46:00

Wittfella

Hello!

@slumsayer - Maybe I am misunderstanding your post but isn't that exactly what you would expect in a unix/linux/posix system.  You typically don't have write access to files unless you own them or are in the same group. qtFM is no different with access to the filesystem.

@Spot - You can change the sort order in 'detail' view and it will remember.  It should use your gtk theme for icons, so make sure it is set to whatever theme those blue icons are and it should be the same.  What DE are you using?  If you still have problems can you post the contents of your '~/.gtkrc-2.0' file.

I have nearly finished an updated version.  In the new version the tree and bookmarks are independent and you can show both at the same time (or one, or none) and you can move them around like the toolbars.  Plus a bunch of other small changes like editing the bookmark name, moving them up/down and show/hide toolbars etc.

Last edited by Wittfella (2010-07-14 15:30:52)

#92 2010-07-14 14:59:50

archman-cro
Website

Awesome, Wittfella, I'll test it when it's up! Thanks for this great FM. I got rid of hal and thunar & deps cause of it. smile

#93 2010-07-14 16:10:38

Spot

Wittfella wrote:

Hello!

@Spot - You can change the sort order in 'detail' view and it will remember.  It should use your gtk theme for icons, so make sure it is set to whatever theme those blue icons are and it should be the same.  What DE are you using?  If you still have problems can you post the contents of your '~/.gtkrc-2.0' file.

I have nearly finished an updated version.  In the new version the tree and bookmarks are independent and you can show both at the same time (or one, or none) and you can move them around like the toolbars.  Plus a bunch of other small changes like editing the bookmark name, moving them up/down and show/hide toolbars etc.

Thanks for the fast response ! The first two problems have been solved smile

I'm using Fluxbox as my DE and the name of the icon-theme is "Nuvola" (very nice, I'm using this icons for years !)

The content of the .gtkrc-2.0 file:

gtk-icon-theme-name="Nuvola"

Of course, the Nuvola icon theme exists in /usr/share/icons.

P.S.: I'm looking forward to your update smile

P.P.S.: Could you integrate the following: If a Folder (or File) is selected, the size of this folder (including all of his content) or file is shown in the (empty) buttom line

Kind Regards
'Spot

Last edited by Spot (2010-07-14 16:14:32)

#94 2010-07-14 18:53:23

slumslayer

Wittfella wrote:

@slumsayer - Maybe I am misunderstanding your post but isn't that exactly what you would expect in a unix/linux/posix system.  You typically don't have write access to files unless you own them or are in the same group. qtFM is no different with access to the filesystem.

Re-read my post, I am in the same group and the group has write access smile

If slumslayer is in "users" and "storage" groups and the group has write access on the file (-rw-rw-r--):
* file is owned by slumslayer:users -> no problem, I can rename.
* file is owned by slumslayer:storage -> I can rename.
* file is owned by root:users - > I can rename.
* file is owned by root:storage -> doesn't work in qtfm while it does with mv and other filemanagers as expected.

EDIT: I can move/delete the file without problem, it's just renaming it that fails.

Last edited by slumslayer (2010-07-14 21:50:19)

#95 2010-07-15 03:59:40

Wittfella

Ok 1.8 is up.

qtfm-1.8-thumb.jpg

1.8    15-July-2010
- added basic folder properties dialog.
- added custom bookmark icons.
- added ability to manually reorder bookmarks list.
- added ability to edit bookmarks names.
- added option to show/hide toolbars.
- modified Tree and Bookmarks view, now independent floating/movable/dockable panels.
- many smaller tweaks, changed a few default icons etc.

Notes:
- I changed the format of bookmarks and custom actions in the conf file.  I should handle it gracefully when coming from an old version but if you have any trouble I would just delete the '~/.config/qtfm' folder and start fresh.

- I also changed a few of the default icons so to see them you should change your theme to something else, open/close qtfm and then change your theme back to whatever so it pulls in the new icons, because they are cached.  Alternatively just delete the '~/.config/qtfm' folder and start fresh as above.  I changed the 'delete' command icon to proper delete rather than the trash icon, so if you create a custom action trash you can set the trash icon and its distinguishable from delete...yay!

- I have not added any way to change the bookmark icons in the gui (yet) but you can edit the 'qtfm.conf' file.  Once you have added some bookmarks look in the conf file at the bookmark section.  The last term for each item should be 'folder' which is the icon name to use.  Simply replace folder with the name of any icon you like from your current theme.  eg. my conf looks like this:

[bookmarks]
%01=/, /, user-desktop
%02=Home, /home/jack, go-home
%03=icons, /usr/share/icons, applications-graphics
%04=Photos, /mnt/data/photos, camera-photo
%05=Music, /mnt/data/music, audio-x-generic
%06=Movies, /mnt/data/movies, video-x-generic

Let me know if there are any problems.

Cheers,
Wittfella

Last edited by Wittfella (2010-07-15 04:02:11)

#96 2010-07-15 04:19:54

Wittfella

@Spot
I checked out the nuvola theme and its pretty sweet!   The folder icons work ok for me, but unfortunately not many of the mime filetype icons work properly.   It seems that the names of all the icons in the theme do not adhere to the generic naming system, so qtFM is not picking them up. 

I seem to recall a small utility that could parse a theme directory and 'standardize' the mime filetype naming or some such but I can'd find it.  Does anyone know about this?  Otherwise if some awesome person has time they could modify the theme and create icon symlinks with the generic names and put it in the aur that would be fantastic smile

#97 2010-07-15 07:40:34

karabaja4
Website

Hi,

a bugs to report that came up:

- a details view is no longer remembered (it always returns to list view even tho it shows detail icon as pressed when starting the program).
- there seems to be a short delay when exiting the program.

P.S. Is it possible to add the message "Copying file(s)..." to status bar when copy action is being executed? Thanks!

#98 2010-07-15 09:08:27

Wittfella

karabaja4 wrote:

Hi,
- a details view is no longer remembered (it always returns to list view even tho it shows detail icon as pressed when starting the program).

Right you are, thanks!  Fixed.

#99 2010-07-15 10:00:44

archman-cro
Website

Any way to make those icons not so stretched, but more like in a square measures?
On my setup: http://i31.tinypic.com/2egeeli.jpg

Btw, the Properties thing is awesome! Thanks! smile

Last edited by archman-cro (2010-07-15 10:21:21)

#100 2010-07-15 10:09:11

fiinix

Wow, incredible! Your program just made me install aurvote, notice that I don't need it to vote, remove aurvote, and finally vote for qtfm smile

I am surprised by your idea to show the bookmarks as list items. This way they don't take much space, but still are accessible all at once. Very nice! And I enjoy each and every point in the changelog. Thanks!

karabaja4 wrote:

- there seems to be a short delay when exiting the program.

I don't have that problem. qtFM closes immediately here.

I have the following issue: hidden files and folders are shown with a short delay, which itself isn't really a problem for me. But I start qtFM with a folder in ~, where a lot of hidden folders are. The issue: in the tree view, after the folder is opened, the hidden folders show up and therefore shift my start-folder down without shifting the view. I can't see my start-folder in the beginning.

karabaja4 wrote:

P.S. Is it possible to add the message "Copying file(s)..." to status bar when copy action is being executed? Thanks!

I would also like a bar or a notice of any kind, that the system is (still) copying. Maybe with the ability to abort...? And how about filling the status bar with a "Free space: ... " message?

Also thank you for integrating the view of removable devices in the bookmarks section, which I didn't notice earlier. There is a problem too: they only show up, if with starting qtFM the device is already inserted. It doesn't show up here, if qtFM ist already running, while inserting the device. Can you fix that?

The other views seem to refresh on their own, which is pretty nice. Once I had the problem that a folder (removable device) didn't show the contents, but I couldn't recreate that problem...

archman-cro wrote:

Any way to make those icons not so stretched, but more like in a square measures?

They aren't streched on my machine. Everything is fine with the icons here.

Again: thank you for this awesome addition to my arch experience! My netbook thanks you too wink

Board footer