You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-20 17:54:41

dp
Website

kde 3.4.0 <-> kde 3.3.x (observations)

if you have questions or bugs or i-don-t-know-what regarding the pkgs of kde 3.4.0, please use the thread http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=10566 for your reports. this thread is used for posting observations regarding features and speed of kde 3.4.0

after now running kde 3.4.0 for a certain time i want to write down some observations:

- kDE runs faster (this is subjective, but on my old machine running 266mhz it reacts much faster and daily usage is more confortable (without having to wait on windows to come up))

- it uses less memory (managed to start kde with memusage of less than 140mb total - on 3.3.2 the same session takes 230mb)

- icons look nicer (same crystal as 3.3.2) but they come up slower (redrawing a window makes icons disappear for short and be redrawn) - i guess that now icons are SVG and the svg-engine is the bottle-neck

- klipper has preview of images (copy an image in gimp and click the klipper: you will _see_ what you have copied!) - really cool feature!

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2005-03-20 17:58:23

kth5
Website

Re: kde 3.4.0 <-> kde 3.3.x (observations)

- as the changelog already mentioned the "PDF support" was improved. kpdf not only renders stuff much faster but offers many more features as well.

- hal and dbus device detection (open konqueror with the default page and see)

- super fast "network browsing" for samba shares etc. compared to 3.3.2 in my companie's network

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#3 2005-03-20 18:02:41

nggalai
Website

Here's my scope after one day of using KDE 3.4.0:

- also felt more responsive to me.

- control panel was less "cluttered"--I actually managed quite easily to get sensible settings

- those different special effects ran smoothly (say, panel on-mouse hovers) and weren't as distracting, IMO, than the older versions

- It was far easier for me to get rid of unwanted buttons and the like than with 3.3.x; Konqueror became a usable file browser for me wink

- crashed repeatedly when using xcompmgr--sometimes, opening a Konqueror window was enough, and bye bye X server

I think I'll keep it for another couple of days. I may be more inclined towards GNOME, but this "feels" like the first KDE release worth spending more time on, to me.

-Sascha.rb

#4 2005-03-20 23:56:44

puntmuts

Can't say anything about performance, I had to rearrange my hardware because of the fact that my old CPU cooler fell off the socket and broke the plastic pieces on the socket. So I have a much faster system now then when I was using KDE 3.3.2 .

But the quickstart/preload applet seems to work great, I noticed the KPDF improvements as well. 

The HAL and DBUS functionality for removable media works fine. Selecting media:/ in Konqueror when an audio cd is inserted will give you all kinds of options for ripping in various formats. Individual songs and the whole album as well.
Cool features big_smile

Out / Gone
Mirgrating all my machines off ArchLinux . No longer part of the ArchLinux community / users .
Done. Goodbye.

#5 2005-03-21 19:36:34

DeusExLinux

Lots of cool features, but I have noticed it is very crashy...

It doesn't seem to like to be stable..  It does run far quicker (but then again, this is my first Arch KDE install...was using enlightenment...and probably still will...) but it runs far faster than ANY other distro I've installed with KDE.  So kudos to Arch, or KDE, whoever got it right finally.
It also starts quite a deal quicker

Control panel is great, less cluttered.  My Home desktop icon dissapeared after my desktop crashed (i turned on line up icons and it wo't work.. had to turn it off).  Oh well, I'll just make another.

Few bugs here and there, but Nothing working sniffing over.  After all, after I get it set up, i don't need to mess with it anyway.

Mousover effects seemed cool, although I turned them off (too windows XPish)

Some problems with konqueror so far, but I think it's just a sign of the release more than anything else.

#6 2005-04-03 01:08:45

qsdickee

puntmuts wrote:

The HAL and DBUS functionality for removable media works fine. Selecting media:/ in Konqueror when an audio cd is inserted will give you all kinds of options for ripping in various formats. Individual songs and the whole album as well.
Cool features big_smile

I'm using KDE3.4 too, but i have some questions. sad
Why i can not find anything in media:/ when i insert a Audio cd?
How do HAL and DBUS work? What configurations should be added?

#7 2005-04-03 01:36:46

puntmuts

I did not modify any config file, I just started the dbus and hal daemons through rc.conf.  Some screenshots of a (free) CD my G/F got at Xmas:

media-1.png
media-2.png
media-3.png

Note: this is a normal audio CD.

Out / Gone
Mirgrating all my machines off ArchLinux . No longer part of the ArchLinux community / users .
Done. Goodbye.

Board footer