You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-13 22:22:25

Ben9250
Website

[SOLVED] Read-only annoyance.

Hi, I try to use Rsync to copy /var /home and /etc but I get this error:

rsync: recv_generator: mkdir "/media/Backup Disk/etc" failed: Read-only file system (30)

I've tried to use chmod on it but it still says read only or "r-w" and If I go into properties and try and change the permissions, even though I'm the owner it says I'm not allowed because it's a read only filesystem, and I am a member of the optical and storage groups. I'm not sure what I can do to change this other than what I've already done. I origionally made the disk using brasero. (It's a DVD).

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-07-14 13:03:58)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-07-13 22:26:24

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] Read-only annoyance.

> I origionally made the disk using brasero. (It's a DVD).
I suggest putting it on the top of your post, it's quite important you know :-)
I don't think you can do it - you rsync to a directory first (say /var/backup) and than you burn it to a DVD, upload to the cloud or whatever.

#3 2010-07-13 22:49:48

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Eh? This is confusing. Read only is not 'r-w'. Read only is 'r--'. Give us more info, what sort of DVD media is this, how did you mount it, etc. Imagine we're the cookie monster and info are the cookies. If you do not give us more cookies, we will eat you or your car or something.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#4 2010-07-13 22:52:59

karol
Archivist

> Eh? This is confusing. Read only is not 'r-w'.
I don't think you can rsync / cp/ mv to an optical drive. OP can chmod the mountpoint all day long.

> Imagine we're the cookie monster
I am stealing this right now.

#5 2010-07-13 23:42:42

Ben9250
Website

fsckd wrote:

Eh? This is confusing. Read only is not 'r-w'. Read only is 'r--'. Give us more info, what sort of DVD media is this, how did you mount it, etc. Imagine we're the cookie monster and info are the cookies. If you do not give us more cookies, we will eat you or your car or something.

Gah sorry I meant r-x, not r-w. The disk was automounted in the ususal way where it appears in its own mounted directory in /media and an icon appears in computer and on the desktop. The DVD is a DVD+RW (I was careful to pick RW).

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#6 2010-07-13 23:46:36

karol
Archivist

You can copy *from* the CD/DVD, but you can't copy *to* a CD/DVD. You have to burn it to disk. DVD-RW drive means you can do it, but not with a copy / rsync command.

Create a directory like /var/backup and rsync your data there. Next, use Brasero (or whatever app you like) to burn it to the DVD.

#7 2010-07-13 23:47:46

fsckd
Forum Fellow

What karol said. DVD+RW is not re-writable in the usual sense. It's better termed as re-burnable. Other OSes may use tricks to hide that fact, but this Arch. We hide nothing.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#8 2010-07-14 13:03:37

Ben9250
Website

Ok that's fine, thanks guys.

- H. G. Wells

Board footer