You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-14 13:37:24

gazj
Website

AUR Download count

Is there any reason why we don't have a download count instead/alongside package voting.  Surely it will give a better indication of what is to be included in community.  Would it be hard to implement?  Are there reasons against or for implementing it?  Maybe this has alreay been discussed.  What are your views?

Last edited by gazj (2010-07-14 13:37:49)

#2 2010-07-14 14:01:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: AUR Download count

What would count as a download? Someone viewing the PKGBUILD (and perhaps copy-pasting it?)? Someone accessing the PKGBUILD through the half a dozen or so AUR helpers?

Leaving aside the technical questions, there's probably not much point in implementing a download count. Who would benefit?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-07-14 15:43:48

gazj
Website

Hmm.  Good point, I had not thought about AUR helpers doing that.  Do they download the PKGBUILD even when not installing the package then?  I was thinking the community repositrory could reflect more closely what people are using. i.e the Arch end user would benefit. 

Please don't get me wrong the community repo probably already has the most used packages without this feature, so maybe there would be no benefit.

Just thought it was a point worth raising and worth a discussion.

#4 2010-07-14 17:32:09

Awebb

Why should I need to know how often a package is downloaded before voting for it? I vote for good packages, for packages I like. I don't vote for popular packages, just because they are popular.

#5 2010-07-14 18:08:04

anonymous_user

A Download Count could be alternative for trying new packages though. Although Yaourt has many votes, I think its popularity is lower now than in the past.

#6 2010-07-14 18:48:17

gazj
Website

Awebb wrote:

Why should I need to know how often a package is downloaded before voting for it? I vote for good packages, for packages I like. I don't vote for popular packages, just because they are popular.

Your missing the point.  The votes don't tell the story of the most popular package, not everyone votes etc.  A download count could give a more accurate picture of the most popular packages to be moved to the community repo.  Or it could be a reflection on downloads and votes.

#7 2010-07-14 19:12:00

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Download stats are inaccurate. It does not indicate if the user actually liked and kept the package.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Board footer