You are not logged in.

#26 2010-07-15 02:37:10

FathisAeril

Re: Winecfg, and my DVD drives

Karol, I do thank you for helping me. But do me the favor of explaining things in more details. I've never done udev rules before, wouldn't have a clue on where to start with tweaking that network ruleset to work for cdroms,

and I DID create, cd folder, I did mount it with sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cd, what I need now is a way for that to do it automatically

It doesn't matter how much training you have. A broken rib is still a broken rib.

#27 2010-07-15 02:43:46

karol
Archivist

I honestly don't know how to make drives automatically appear in wine - maybe there's some magic to it, maybe not.

> and I DID create, cd folder, I did mount it with sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cd, what I need now is a way for that to do it automatically
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Mount_CDs

#28 2010-07-15 02:45:44

oTarUX

>and I DID create, cd folder, I did mount it with sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cd, what I need now is a way for that to do it automatically

Just match your device /dev/sr0 to /media/cd in fstab, that doesn't work?

Last edited by oTarUX (2010-07-15 02:47:15)

Circa mea pectora multa sunt suspiria
De tua pulchritudine, que me ledunt misere.
Tui lucent oculi sicut solis radii,
Sicut splendor fulguris, qui lucem donat tenebris.

#29 2010-07-15 02:48:08

karol
Archivist

> Just match your device /dev/sr0 to /media/cd in fstab, that doesn't work?
Read the first post - the label was getting in the way.
You shouldn't specify removable drives in fstab - udev rules or some DE-specific voodoo is the right way.

#30 2010-07-15 03:00:23

oTarUX

karol wrote:

> Just match your device /dev/sr0 to /media/cd in fstab, that doesn't work?
Read the first post - the label was getting in the way.
You shouldn't specify removable drives in fstab - udev rules or some DE-specific voodoo is the right way.

It was the way every linux worked a few years ago. Worst case scenario it will get mounted twice, in /media/cd and /media/<LABEL>
And I don't think /dev/sr0 it's a removable device, the device doesn't dissapear when you remove the disc and it won't change it's block device unless you play with the master/slave jumper or change it to another sata/ide port. Am I wrong?

#31 2010-07-15 03:17:26

karol
Archivist

> It was the way every linux worked a few years ago.
True, but we use udev rules now. They're quite simple and flexible. Besides, it's /bin/mount one way or another.

> And I don't think /dev/sr0 it's a removable device, the device doesn't dissapear when you remove the disc
Ummm, did I really write that? Damn, I did. Thanks for pointing it out.

> and it won't change it's block device unless you play with the master/slave jumper or change it to another sata/ide port. Am I wrong?
You're right and that's why I would like it to rely on sth that won't break if you rearrange your setup. Proper udevs should take care of that.

#32 2010-07-15 03:56:27

oTarUX

karol wrote:

> It was the way every linux worked a few years ago.
True, but we use udev rules now. They're quite simple and flexible. Besides, it's /bin/mount one way or another.

That made me feel old fashioned.
Anyway, I don't know how to make udev rules but I edited my cd/dvd rules when I was using Frugalware. That worked fine for changin symlinks between devices but can you change mountpoints?. I though it will always point to labels.

As Kent Brockman said:
Could this record-breaking heat wave be the result of the dreaded Greenhouse Effect? Well, if 70-degree days in the middle of winter are the "price" of car pollution, forgive me if I keep my old Pontiac.

#33 2010-07-15 04:41:36

FathisAeril

I have NO IDEA if this will even work in the long wrong, but its making wine correctly auto-detect my disc drives. My fstab looks like:

GNU nano 2.2.4              File: /etc/fstab                                 

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
devpts                 /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
shm                    /dev/shm      tmpfs     nodev,nosuid        0      0

/dev/sr0             /media/cdrom   auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/sr1               /media/dvdrw  auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/fd0               /media/fl   auto    user,noauto             0      0

/dev/sda5 / ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/sda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda7 /home ext4 defaults 0 1

Like I said, no idea if that'll work, but its working so far with some installs. The one installer I was trying to get to work didn't work on a diff computer, so I'm actually thinking this is all just a bad CD or something along those lines

>>>You're right and that's why I would like it to rely on sth that won't break if you rearrange your setup. Proper udevs should take care of that.

I won't be re-arranging this setup. Technically, this is my father's computer (he paid for it, Im the only one that uses it) I'll be heading to college at the end of the summer, with my computer, and I won't be back home. He doesn't know how to use linux and sticks to windows, He'll prob end up formatted over my linux when I'm gone anyway. Until then...only that will be changed is the graphics card,  no CD stuff. If this is a sloppy but workable fix, I'll be more than content with that until later

Last edited by FathisAeril (2010-07-15 04:46:00)

It doesn't matter how much training you have. A broken rib is still a broken rib.

#34 2010-07-15 04:46:55

karol
Archivist

> I though it will always point to labels
I think you can make them disregard the labels and always mount do /media/dvd, not /media/foo or /media/bar or ...

Cool.
Well, actually it's damn hot here - no wonder they (M. Twain?) say "go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company". I hope I don't have to spend the whole eternity in a place that makes me dream about evicting the chicken from the freezer.

#35 2010-07-15 05:02:00

FathisAeril

karol wrote:

> I though it will always point to labels
I think you can make them disregard the labels and always mount do /media/dvd, not /media/foo or /media/bar or ...

With the way my fstab is right now, its ignoring labels under /media/

Everything is consolidated under /media/cdrom and /media/dvdrw

Not sure if thats what you meant Karol, but thought I'd throw that out

#36 2010-07-15 05:07:46

karol
Archivist

> Everything is consolidated under /media/cdrom and /media/dvdrw
And that's fine. If that's what you need, you're all set.

Board footer