You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-16 15:50:20

bierni

Openbox and NetworkManager issue

I've just installed a fresh copy of arch, and then also openbox + pypanel. because I have problem with setting up my wireless connection through  wpa_supplicant I have decided to replace it with a network manager applet (like the one in ubuntu). I've visited this site and did as following: 

1. added in ~/.xinitrc

pypanel&
exec openbox

(I'm using startx)

2. installed

pacman -S hicolor-icon-theme gnome-icon-theme

(because I use WM as stand-alone)

3. as next

pacman -S cnetworkmanager

4. then edited rc.conf

DAEMONS=( ... !network hal networkmanager..).

I've tried to run the command  /etc/rc.d/networkmanager start as a root and a normal user - but both gave me [FAILD]. 

I'm trying to build very minimalistic system and making almost everything manual but I would like to have the applet manager starting with my pypanel or tint2 automatically (problems with wpa_supplicant and hidden SSID). I would like to achieve such a thing

EDIT: I would like also to get the speaker-icon on my panel.

Last edited by bierni (2010-07-16 16:01:44)

#2 2010-07-16 18:03:13

pogeymanz

Re: Openbox and NetworkManager issue

Did you do the stuff under "Set hostname" and "Add user to network group"?

Did you do this?:
/etc/rc.d/network stop

Have you logged out and back in after adding your user to the network group?

#3 2010-07-16 18:46:14

bierni

yes I did. panel is still almost blank - only clock, date and desktop number.

Last edited by bierni (2010-07-16 19:12:54)

#4 2010-07-16 19:06:30

pogeymanz

Oh, I'm sorry. I see what is happening here. You installed cnetworkmanager, which is a command-line only version of networkmanager. Uninstall that and then install network-manager-applet.

pacman -Rsn cnetworkmanager
pacman -S network-manager-applet

Then, in ~/.xinitrc do this:

pypanel&
nm-applet&
exec openbox

As for the volume, you should install volwheel from the AUR and also add that to your .xinitrc.

A few suggestions:
Instead of using .xinitrc, openbox has its own autostart file in ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh. Edit that file to have pypanel&, nm-applet&, etc. Then do:

chmod +x ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh

Then change your ~.xinitrc to this:

exec ck-launch-session openbox-session

The ck-launch-session will allow you to shutdown, reboot, etc from inside openbox and the openbox-session command makes openbox run the autostart.sh script.

I'll also suggest using Nitrogen or feh to set your wallpaper. They are in the wiki.

#5 2010-07-16 20:31:16

bierni

I must have done something wrong (maybe bad sequence) but I did it again and now everything is starting with openbox session correctly.   

still got some questions:

openbox has its own autostart

Then change your ~.xinitrc

xinitrc starts x-window etc. and autostart.sh - it looks like it's doing, at some level (starting x-window etc) the same thing .so why not to keep everything in one place? or autostart.sh is just a simple script which is related to xinitrc? 

The ck-launch-session will allow you to shutdown, reboot, etc from inside openbox and the openbox-session command makes openbox run the autostart.sh script.

I'm trying to work only with terminal but  if you mention it - I don't see this options - I have to reboot etc. direct from console.  the only thing I have under my right-click menu is Log Off.

thank you for the answers!

#6 2010-07-16 20:46:17

anonymous_user

Openbox-session launches autostart.sh (if it exists). Autostart.sh is an Openbox file for launching programs you want on startup like panels, tray icons, conky, etc.

Last edited by anonymous_user (2010-07-16 20:46:58)

Board footer