You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-19 18:47:52

*david_a*

KDE freezing during startup

Hi all

I am running a new Arch installation, everything done according to the beginner guide (I think...). I'm running without a Xorg configuration file, because the system appears to work fine that way. Gnome runs correctly, AFAICT; so does Xfce.

After a complete re-install (vanilla Arch, vanilla KDE) and a brand new user account (thus making sure settings from other environments are not interfering), KDE will not start successfully.

I log in my user manually, and then call startx. The start-up screen looks correct, KDE shows the icons of what's loading - but when it gets to the "loading the desktop" icon, it freezes - keyboard and mouse are completely disabled, no way to exit but to hold the power button on the computer case.

There is no .xsession-errors log in my home folder, and I haven't found anything indicating errors in my .kde folder either. Where should I look to try to solve this problem?

David

EDIT, additional info:

- KDE will run successfully from a live CD on this machine, for example the Fedora/KDE disc.

- If I try to start using kdm, I get a login screen, but after I input my user & password, KDE tries to start but can't finish, and kicks me back to the login screen again.

Last edited by *david_a* (2009-06-19 20:45:09)

#2 2010-07-17 16:42:51

nicholas buckner

Re: KDE freezing during startup

i got this as well except when the hard drive icon appears

#3 2010-07-17 16:48:12

karol
Archivist

This thread is over a year old.

#4 2010-07-17 17:03:54

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Nicholas, the OP has opened this topic more than a year ago. I suggest you open your own topic.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … Bumping.27

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer