You are not logged in.

#126 2010-07-18 14:10:37

Wittfella

Re: qtFM - Small, fast, light Qt filemanager

Fixed up some of this stuff

Changelog wrote:

2.0    18-July-2010
- added 'folder' filetype for directory specific custom actions.
- added layout context menu to status area.
- fixed behaviour when switching to icon view from detail view.
- fixed bug with custom actions not working from detail view.
- fixed icon scaling problem with some themes.

Hopefully the icon scaling problem will be fixed.  I don't why some of them are rescaling, might be something to do with svg versus png.

I also changed the copy/paste back to threaded.  Getting the progress to work with different threads is tricky, especially being able to cancel the operation.  As someone pointed out, the progress is file count not bytes written which is not easy to get, so if you are copying one large file its kinda useless.

#127 2010-07-18 14:24:11

anonymous_user

Its better but with some themes the folders now look stretched vertically:

screenshot-1279462981.png

#128 2010-07-18 14:31:35

Wittfella

Oops, my fault I left a different number in there while testing.  Try now.

#129 2010-07-18 14:50:00

anonymous_user

Thanks its fine now.

1. Ok something I noticed with custom actions: if you set the filetype to * then the custom action will be placed at the bottom of the menu, above delete. But if you set specific filetypes, it will appear near the top under Open. I think they should only appear in one position; for me near the bottom is ok.

2. When you right-click in the white space, you get the Terminal menu option. Would it be possible to have it when you right-click on folders too?

3. When creating custom actions, it would be nice to have a option to specify the folder. I want to create an action to open a root terminal. Also an action for finding files in a particular folder.

#130 2010-07-18 18:36:45

valium97582

What about KiltFM? IMO it seems close to CuteFM, and the only name coincidence is KILT-FM, from Texas (country-radio).

I'm also known as zmv on IRC.

#131 2010-07-18 18:48:13

anonymous_user

Kilt? LIke one of these:

kilt-carrie.JPG

IMO, I think the name "qtfm" is fine as is. qt = QT4, fm = file manager

#132 2010-07-18 19:22:29

archman-cro
Website

qtfm is fine, yes. smile
KiltFM is a *yuck* sad

Last edited by archman-cro (2010-07-18 19:38:13)

#133 2010-07-18 20:01:20

yasen

Hi, me yapping about keyboard shortcuts again.
Can we have bookmark activation with Enter or Space when the keyboard focus is in the bookmark pane?
Also file/directory defualt action (open/go into) with Space in file browser pane would be awesome, too.

Again, kudos on your work.

#134 2010-07-18 23:12:42

fiinix

How about cutieFM? Sounds more like Qt too. And I didn't find anything about it anywhere else. But it sure looks strange... tongue I think I like qtFM too. Could stay this way...

Bug: if you choose Detail view and then go to Icon view, Detail view turns off. Thats good. But it still doesn't work the other way around. When it works: a List view is not necessary but more intuitive. But then radio buttons are needed.

Bug: If there is a space in the path one is currently at, terminal (LXTerminal in my case) doesn't open the correct location. For now, I changed the name of a path replacing spaces with underscores...

FYI: upgrading while keeping the old settings lead to a bug about sorting here (wasn't able to sort anymore). Removing the old settings solved that.

anonymous_user wrote:

2. When you right-click in the white space, you get the Terminal menu option. Would it be possible to have it when you right-click on folders too?

3. When creating custom actions, it would be nice to have a option to specify the folder. I want to create an action to open a root terminal. Also an action for finding files in a particular folder.

To 2.: You can easily make a Custom action for that.
To 3.:

Changelog wrote:

Did you mean that?:)

Suggestion: How about dragging a folder into "Bookmarks" places a bookmark?

#135 2010-07-18 23:54:29

anonymous_user

fiinix wrote:

To 3.:

Changelog wrote:

Did you mean that?:)

Not quite. I meant a variable that you can use in the command. %f variable is for files but theres none for folders.

#136 2010-07-19 03:01:26

Wittfella

The %f variable is any selected files, including directories.  However I found there is a problem when I tried to do a "Term here" custom option for folders.

The command for me would be "urxvt -cd %f" where %f is the folder name I am right clicking on.  I found that the "-cd" argument seems to expect a full path, not relative to where you are now.  I will add another substitution variable with full path. eg.

%f - selected filenames
%F - selected filenames with full path.

@anonymous  Do you mean you want a variable for the path only?  The current path? the parent? Can you give me an example of what you want to do.

#137 2010-07-19 04:03:54

anonymous_user

Wittfella wrote:

Do you mean you want a variable for the path only?

Yes

Wittfella wrote:

The current path? the parent?

If I right-click in the white space, it would be the current path. And if I right-click on a folder, it should be the folder's path.

Wittfella wrote:

Can you give me an example of what you want to do.

1. Create a custom action to open a folder as root.
2. Create a custom action to search the folder using Catfish.

Basically Im trying to recreate some of the custom actions I used in Thunar.

#138 2010-07-19 06:30:43

fiinix

anonymous_user wrote:

Create a custom action to open a folder as root.

Filetype: folder; Text: ...; Icon: ...; Command: gksu lxterminal
Just leaving %f out did the trick.

#139 2010-07-19 09:35:42

Japanlinux

orgive me for this stupid question, but how does this filemanager measure up to thunar in terms of function and lightness (ram usage)? Were I to switch, would this lose a feature that thunar has and qtfm doesn't?

Onto another question: while reading this thread I have noticed a few people say they don't need HAL anymore And archman-cro mentioned this (exo+libxfceutil+hal+thunar). So does this use udev instead of hal? and/or does it not have automounting? I ask because pcmanfm uses udev, and it doesn't seem to automount for me. Does qtfm not have this issue. A bit off topic, but to archman-cro, what does exo (and how does qtfm replace it tongue)?

Thanks! I have qt installed, and I really want to try a new file manager, and this one interests me, so i wanted to get some questions out before I tried this...

EDIT: okay, I noticed on page 5 that there is not automounting, which is fine, but could one of you tell me how to mount my ntfs partition so I can check it in qtfm?

Last edited by Japanlinux (2010-07-19 09:41:05)

#140 2010-07-19 13:02:27

fiinix

I never used thunar, so idk if a feature would be lost for you and I have no idea about ram usage. qtFM starts and feels pretty fast and shows mounted partitions of removable drives in the bookmarks section. A feature that I know thunar doesn't have is the adjustability of the layout. Also: qtFM offers a gui way to change xdg-mime settings, which helps me for chromium file associations too.

For automount I use udev  (the first rule from our udev-wiki works fine for me, even for ntfs partitions, ntfs-3g being installed). To unmount a partition, I wrote a "Custom action" that allows me to unmount a folder by right click -> "Unmount". If that folder becomes empty, unmounting worked. For that custom action I use the command 'sudo umount %f' and in /etc/sudoers I allowed myself as a user to sudo /bin/umount without password. But gksu should work too.

Personally, I think it would be nice to see that unmounting worked, without having to check the folder (also see this thread), so I'm thinking about a custom action that shows me an info box... Don't know if a feature request for qtFM is the right place for that... Any ideas/suggestions anyone?

#141 2010-07-19 13:34:50

anonymous_user

fiinix wrote:
anonymous_user wrote:

That opens the terminal as root but its always at home. I also tried using the command "gksudo qtfm" but again it doesn't open at the folder, which I want.

#142 2010-07-19 13:39:19

archman-cro
Website

Japanlinux wrote:

A bit off topic, but to archman-cro, what does exo (and how does qtfm replace it tongue)?

Exo was needed to install thunar. qtFM doesn't need it, so I removed it (and all other deps...and I even removed too much stuff, including consolekit, so I broke my system for a few mins. big_smile).

Cheers. smile

#143 2010-07-19 14:08:39

fiinix

anonymous_user wrote:
fiinix wrote:
anonymous_user wrote:

That opens the terminal as root but its always at home. I also tried using the command "gksudo qtfm" but again it doesn't open at the folder, which I want.

No it doesn't. Here it opens in the folder which is currently open in qtFM (not the one i choose, true, but very close). Maybe it opens the same folder it would have opened by clicking on the terminal button in the Navigation bar. I picked the same terminal for both...

#144 2010-07-19 14:27:34

anonymous_user

Ok I tested it again and you're right. It would be nice if it actually opened at the folder I select though.

Also would it be possible to have the folder and wildcard "*" actions show when I right-click in blank space?

Last edited by anonymous_user (2010-07-19 14:29:30)

#145 2010-07-19 14:38:21

shetland_breeder
Website

I've just installed QtFM and I must say it's the best file manager I've tried so far.

For something only a couple of months old it's very finished and bug-free.

I have noticed a couple of things though wink (I'm using Xfce4)

1) If I'm showing hidden files and then change the view to hide hidden files the last hidden folder I browsed into is displayed in the right-hand pane. eg in /home/myhome, show hidden files, browse into .config and out again, hide hidden files. .config is stll displayed.

2) For .desktop files the Open action actually executes the file instead of opening it in my chosen editor. The filetype is text/plain, and my editor's .desktop file is at the top of the drop-down list. I guess this may be hardcoded into Qt somewhere? But I do like the way I can actually see the filenames not the 'shortcut' name which is what you get in Thunar and others.

3) QtFM doesn't respect the 'drag and drop' threshold set with the Xfce Mouse configuration (or the Xfce Settings Editor -> xsettings -> Net -> DndDragThreshold setting which is the same thing). There's no D and D threshold in  in the QtConfig dialog either and I can't find where QT keeps it's settings either.

Pete

#146 2010-07-20 14:38:28

shetland_breeder
Website

shetland_breeder wrote:

2) For .desktop files the Open action actually executes the file instead of opening it in my chosen editor. The filetype is text/plain, and my editor's .desktop file is at the top of the drop-down list. I guess this may be hardcoded into Qt somewhere? But I do like the way I can actually see the filenames not the 'shortcut' name which is what you get in Thunar and others.

Of course the answer is to add a custom Edit function for the .desktop extension....

Pete

#147 2010-07-20 23:15:38

archman-cro
Website

I've got a new idea. Would it be cool that the taskbar button said at which folder is the FM at the moment? Something like "/home/someone/Pictures/ - qtFM v..." or similar in it. smile

#148 2010-07-20 23:34:55

fiinix

Post #147:

archman-cro wrote:

I've got a new idea. Would it be cool that the taskbar button said at which folder is the FM at the moment? Something like "/home/someone/Pictures/ - qtFM v..." or similar in it. smile

Post #123:

fiinix wrote:

... Ah, I almost forgot, something easy for a change: the window title is qtFM v1.x - but how about the path one is currently in? maybe in front of it or maybe the title is only the path...? In an "About" Option one could read about the rest...

I like that idea too wink

#149 2010-07-22 08:50:20

Japanlinux

Forgive me for this really stupid question, but how to I get qtfm to look like my gtk apps? I have a couple other qt programs, but they have options to look like my gtk apps, qbittorrent for example. I found this "gtk-qt-engine" which allows for the opposite affect (gtk to look like qt)...

Also, would it be possible to add that to this program; the ability to use the gtk theme? Or would that just be bloat in the code?

#150 2010-07-22 09:30:13

karabaja4
Website

Japanlinux wrote:

Forgive me for this really stupid question, but how to I get qtfm to look like my gtk apps? I have a couple other qt programs, but they have options to look like my gtk apps, qbittorrent for example. I found this "gtk-qt-engine" which allows for the opposite affect (gtk to look like qt)...

Also, would it be possible to add that to this program; the ability to use the gtk theme? Or would that just be bloat in the code?

Set GTK style in qtconfig (run qtconfig from shell).

Board footer