You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-24 03:48:57

DePingus

PlugBox Linux - Arch variant for ARM plugbox

Today's woot was a $20 Seagate DockStar.

Basically, its a little usb hub with a 1.2ghz ARM Marvell Sheeva cpu, 128mb ram, gigabit connection, and very very low power consumption (like a SheevaPlug or TonitoPlug with half the ram). Curiosity got the best of me and some googling turned up PlugBox Linux; and ARM based Arch variant!

http://www.plugapps.com/index.php5?titl … gBox_Linux

After some research, I caved and bought the DockStar. If everything goes as planned, this little thing is going to consolidate 2 outdated servers into one tight little Arch system!

Anyone have any experience with this?
I plan to drop a 300gb external usb drive on this and use it for Samba sharing, uShare video streaming to my Xbox360, and as an rTorrent slave.

Side Note:
It seems a few months ago Office Depot was selling these things for $1 (not a typo, one dollar)!

#2 2010-07-01 16:53:45

ao

Re: PlugBox Linux - Arch variant for ARM plugbox

I did the same and have been thoroughly enjoying my new Dockstar.  I've got Samba set up on it, but I'm not familiar with uShare.  rtorrent doesn't seem like it'll be a problem.

I've had to work around a few little issues here and there; currently trying to get a good php PKGBUILD set up, among other things.

Keep us updated on how it's going for you! big_smile

#3 2010-07-04 21:02:49

Heller_Barde

here in switzerland they cost around $90... why are they so cheap in the USA? hmm

#4 2010-07-04 22:22:30

sparchy

Heller_Barde some eletcronic and department stores here in the US have bargain bins that they throw everything in when they need to clear out their old stock.  I really don't think they know what they are because some wallwarts look more like adaptors or upses than computers.  I've seen those wallwarts jumbeled in with the adaptors/ups bins before with a really low price like '10$ on anything in this bin' price tag on it.  So keep your eyes open.  I don't know if you have electronic Superstores (frys,office depot,etc., they sometimes carry them.) in switzerland like we have in the US but most of them have clearance sales when they need to dump old stock.

#5 2010-07-06 01:30:28

DePingus

I got my Dockstar the other day!!!

I have Samba, rTorrent, and uShare running. The only issue I'm having right now is with blockcontrol/moblock.
That's the finaly piece of my puzzle. Once that's done, this will be the best purchase I've made in a long time!

#6 2010-07-06 15:00:20

FALK

Heller_Barde wrote:

here in switzerland they cost around $90... why are they so cheap in the USA? hmm

You can get it for 20€ from Germany.

Can anyone comment on nzbget and unrar performance? Decoding is quite cpu-intensive.

#7 2010-07-06 15:39:03

Labello
Website

i would use transmission as bittorrent client. has got a nicer webinterface. might not be as lightweight but also has more features :-)

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#8 2010-07-06 23:39:27

sand_man

Labello wrote:

i would use transmission as bittorrent client. has got a nicer webinterface. might not be as lightweight but also has more features :-)

I went back to rtorrent after using transmission briefly. I had problems with transmission retaining settings after service restarts. It was a major inconvenience since the downloads were going to the default transmission home sad
This was under FreeBSD btw. Sorry for the slightly off-topic tongue

neutral

#9 2010-07-07 08:28:19

jack.mitchell
Website

Deluge has a very nice web interface and the new 3.0rc has some very good efficiency improvements, as well as being able to connect to the running daemon externally witha gui client.

Sorry for OT.

#10 2010-07-07 10:29:02

Roline
Website

sand_man wrote:
Labello wrote:

I went back to rtorrent after using transmission briefly. I had problems with transmission retaining settings after service restarts. It was a major inconvenience since the downloads were going to the default transmission home sad
This was under FreeBSD btw. Sorry for the slightly off-topic tongue

stock_salute.jpg
Major inconvenience!

Sorry, I had to do that...

Last edited by Roline (2010-07-07 10:29:26)

Bitbucket - DeviantART - Userstyles
*Currently Not Using Arch

#11 2010-07-18 21:29:26

slint

FALK wrote:
Heller_Barde wrote:

where?

#12 2010-07-20 11:52:12

FALK

slint wrote:
FALK wrote:
Heller_Barde wrote:

where?

http://www.guenstiger.de/gt/main.asp?produkt=1135371

Got mine last week. Read plugapps.com/forum about disabling auto-update before doing anything.

Board footer