You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-19 16:56:48

supercharles

How to get rid of Acrobat reader (completely)?

Hi,

it's somewhat a stupid question. I got tired of Acrobat reader on x86-64 and decided I would go for the available software on Arch. I uninstalled my bin32-acroread package through yaourt, but after that I still have the option set by default all around my system to open pdf files with Acrobat Reader... How do I get rid of this?

Thanks!

#2 2010-07-19 17:06:51

Runiq

Re: How to get rid of Acrobat reader (completely)?

Have a look at xdg-mime, which should be in the package xdg-utils.

#3 2010-07-19 17:15:27

supercharles

Thanks but I'm unclear what to search for:

[chs@lupercal ~]$ xdg-mime default application pdf
xdg-mime: malformed argument 'application', expected *.desktop
Try 'xdg-mime --help' for more information.
[chs@lupercal ~]$

#4 2010-07-19 18:15:42

Runiq

$ xdg-mime default <path-to-your-pdf-application's-desktop-file.desktop> application/pdf

Of course, you'll need an application that comes with some kind of desktop file in the first place; or you write your own.

#5 2010-07-19 18:16:15

Foucault

You should set an another application for opening application/pdf files. For example

xdg-mime query default application/pdf

will probably return AdobeReader.desktop as a result which means that application/pdf mimetypes are assigned to Adobe Reader. If you want to change it to evince, for example, you should do something like

xdg-mime default evince.desktop application/pdf

If you do not want evince then you should check for your desired application desktop file under /usr/share/applications.

EDIT: Sorry, too late sad

Last edited by Foucault (2010-07-19 18:16:42)

#6 2010-07-20 12:56:46

supercharles

I did just what was written in the previous post. There is still the same issue. I wonder if xdg also works with KDE? If it doesn't, running a similar command to modify the default applications for the PDF format might be the right thing to do...

thanks!

#7 2010-07-20 13:40:33

hokasch

Maybe something like Konqueror -> Preferences -> File associations? As example, under gnome it would be right click-> properties -> open with.

#8 2010-07-21 09:04:06

supercharles

Heh. Indeed. Solved by doing the following (although the xdg command must have been useful somehow). Under Gnome, right click on a random pdf file in my Documents folder. Selected Properties, > Open With and there's the list of possible applications with Adobe Reader selected first and by default. On top of this a small sentence saying something like: select the default application this file and every other files with the same extension. Deselected Adobe, right click on Evince, then clicked on the button " Reinitialize" (sorry it's translated from French, it's gotta be Set back to defaults or something) and not only was the default app Evince, the Adobe Reader option disappeared for this file and for every other pdf file in the system.
Solved!

Thanks!

Board footer