You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-22 17:39:11

Intrepid

Nice Tips for Gnome/Metacity Users

These are just a few that I thought are sometimes overlooked but necessary when using just gnome/metacity.  Metacity is an often-overlooked window manager, but it offers a lot of core functionality that is unrealized.  Also, the best reason to use openbox or metacity when using gnome is to use OpenGL programs at full speed.  I will explore the following enhancements to the Gnome/Metacity setup that are sometimes overlooked.

Quick, Non-overlapping windows under metacity:

In metacity, this works similarly to Openbox.  Rebind window resize and window move in Keyboard Shortcuts to more familiar keys.  Next, use window move or window resize and use shift to snap to the window in the direction you press.  You can also do this with the mouse.  This emulates some of the functionality of tiling window managers.

True Panel Transparency:

Use gconf-editor to enable compositing under metacity.  Next, install devlspie and transset-df.  Create a file in ~/.devilspie/ named panel.ds.  Insert the following text

( if
( contains ( window_class ) "Gnome-panel" )
( begin
( spawn_async (str "transset-df -i " (window_xid) " 0.85" ))
)
)

You can adjust the 0.85 (opacity) to your liking.  Now add "devilspie -a" without the quotes under gnome startup manager.

Windows automatically open on a different workspace

Again, devilspie is the tool to use here.  Use either gdevilspie or the following code, changing application_name and set_workspace commands accordingly.

( if
( and
( is ( application_name ) "mythfrontend" )
)
( begin
( set_workspace 4 )
( println "match" )
)
)

Please contribute your tips as well.

Last edited by Intrepid (2010-07-22 18:01:03)

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#2 2010-07-22 23:57:02

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Nice Tips for Gnome/Metacity Users

Thanks for sharing your tips. These would fit better on a wiki however, this isn't ubuntuforums. Hard to keep track of 'tips' type threads.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-07-23 14:29:19

Intrepid

Re: Nice Tips for Gnome/Metacity Users

I was looking at archwiki but I wasn't sure where to put it.  The last two would go into a devilspie page most likely.  The first one, I'm unsure about.

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

Board footer