You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-24 22:04:20

andreamer

[SOLVED] dual monitor + wacom tablet issue

Hello,

I'm currently using a Graphire 4 wacom tablet (working correctly, with pressure sensitivity and all), and just changed to a Dual monitor layout.

For the dual monitors i'm using xrandr, with this command:

xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1280x800 --primary --output VGA-0 --mode 1280x1024_60.00 --gamma 1.0:1.4:0.85 --right-of LVDS &

The thing is, that my tablet is mapped to the virtual screen of 2560x1024 pixels, and with the setting of absolute mapping of the stylus (the pen) it is really difficult to draw because horizontal movement is more than twice the vertical movement, making something as simple as a circle is quite challenging.

The Archwiki page is useful, but for this particular problem hasn't helped, I already tried the Option "Twinview horizontal" and hasn't helped (the link to the specific thread in the wiki about this matter concludes with no resolution).

this code doesn't make any difference to my perception:

xsetwacom set "Wacom Graphire4 6x8 stylus" twinview horizontal

I'm using this two packages:
linuxwacom 0.8.6-3
xf86-input-wacom 0.10.7-1

So I have thought of two possible solutions, please help me achieve one of them (or a better one you can think of):

1) Set the stylus and eraser (both related only to the pen) to work only on the external monitor, but haven't been succesful, because the "ScreenNo" Option only recognises One Screen (the virtual one), i understand this is because xrandr works this way.
this doesn't make a difference:

xsetwacom set "Wacom Graphire4 6x8 stylus" Screen_No 0

this gives error:

xsetwacom set "Wacom Graphire4 6x8 stylus" Screen_No 1
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)

*EDIT: I've pretty much discarded this opetion, because twinview is for nvidia (i have an ati), Xinerama gives me lousy graphics and consumes a lot of resources, and Xrandr which i'm confortable with only has one screen.

2) Set the stylus and eraser to "Relative Mode", this means it doesn't map the screen and works like a mouse, but the stylus moves way too fast like this, and it seems that the "SpeedLevel" Option has been removed from linuxwacom.
this works, but pointer is too fast:

xsetwacom set "Wacom Graphire4 6x8 stylus" mode relative

*EDIT: after lots of tries, there seems to be no way of changing the speed of the stylus, so it's really a dead end, help please?

Thanks on advance.

*LAST EDIT
I'm happy to announce that i found a solution, based on this post: http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showp … ostcount=5

It's rather an ugly hack, and makes the monitor set on the left the only one with stylus and eraser support, but i can live with taht.

I had to do the following:

1. Get the width of the tablet in tablet units.

xsetwacom get "stylus" BottomX

(X=16704)

2. Get the virtual screen size in pixels
xrandr shows i have 2560 horizontal pixels (also the sum of both width resolutions 1280+1280)
(Y=2560)

4. Know the horizontal pixels of the monitor that will be set on the left.
(in my case the external of 1280x1024 that i will use to draw in Gimp)
(Z=1280)

5. Calculate the new "virtual tablet width" (in this case )
W = (X * Y) / Z = 16704 * 2560 / 1280 = 33408

6. Set the new "virtual tablet width"

xsetwacom set "stylus" BottomX 33408
xsetwacom set "eraser" BottomX 33408

7. Set the external monitor to the left (optional, needed in my case)

xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1280x800 --output VGA-0 --mode 1280x1024_60.00 --left-of LVDS --gamma 1.0:1.3:1

Thats it, it will tell linux wacom that the tablet is bigger than it actually is, so when it maps the virtual screen, the physical edge of the tablet will end in the first monitor.

8.  Because in my case the virtual screen matches the height of the monitor i will use, i didn't need to reset the Y coordinate, but the process would be the same using BottomY, and the pixel heights.

PD: mmm, should i add this info to the archwiki? i will if this info is found useful.

Last edited by andreamer (2010-07-25 06:37:31)

Board footer