You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-26 12:16:18

gromith

PA, ALSA, QL : buffer underruns and crackling audio

i'm running pulseaudio on up-to-date arch, with gnome atm.

The only way i can get the audio in quake live to stop stuttering (spamming buffer underruns in console ) is to set s_alsa_latency in the game very high (a little too high for gaming).

I found a topic with the same symptons on the QL forum but the solutions presented there didnt work for me (s_mixahead and s_mixprestep, s_alsa_latency, s_alsa_pcm to directly acces the divice, bypassing pulse, and setting pulse to time the traditional way). At least not without using very high values for latency(250ish).

I have also followed the arch pulseaudio wiki and the perfect setup guide from the pa website from start to finish multiple times now, but nothing seems to work.

The install is fresh, i reinstalled yesterday. Before that i had the same setup but everything worked (after some tinkering, although i dont remember what i did back then) 

So, i was asking myself, could i change something in pulse to fix this, instead of crapping up the latency? Any help on solving this great mistery is apreciated.

Board footer