You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-27 19:50:32

Milena

Buying a Soundcard, need an advice please.

Hi there

I want a real soundcard since my Intel HDA on-board soundchip doesn't support hardware mixing and i'm unable to record what-i-hear, e.g. i can't record audio streams, audio from wine games etc.. The only Software solution would be Pulseaudio's software mixing but i don't really want that. I would also like a card with higher audio quality and i found this for an ok price from another shop: http://us.store.creative.com/PCI-Expres … 8EFGTM.htm
Does the Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty work good on Linux ? I read that a driver is included in ALSA since the end of 2009.

Any suggestions are welcome

#2 2010-07-27 19:54:52

karol
Archivist

Re: Buying a Soundcard, need an advice please.

Why not http://us.store.creative.com/PCI-Expres … E25KDK.htm
The price seems even more OK.

#3 2010-07-27 20:03:53

Milena

Thanks and yes i don't really wanna spend that much for the card, i'll try to find cheaper models of the series at another website, i only know mindfactory.de and alternate.de to order hardware in germany.
Any Creative X-Fi card will work fine ?

#4 2010-07-27 20:30:37

karol
Archivist

> Any Creative X-Fi card will work fine ?
I'm not sure if 'any', but PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium uses the same driver as the card you picked.
Fatal1ty is for hardcore gamers - people who spend tons of money on brand-new super-hyper-platinum ego-boosting maxxx gear.

You can ask for recommendations on audio-specific forums too http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind … owforum=21 although I don't know how Linux-aware is it.

#5 2010-07-27 22:10:45

harryNID

There are many types of sound cards out there and the one you should get depends on what you want it for. Some are better at games and some are better for audio (music, movies). After having researched a lot, I read a lot of complaints about the newer Creative cards (support, sound quality, etc). I can't really comment on those it's only what I read in a lot of forums. I don't do games so I wanted something that was very good with music and wouldn't break my bank account. I finally settled on the ASUS Xonar DX. I read nothing but stellar reviews about it concerning music (which after owning one I highly agree with). There is a flip-side however. I also read (again only what I read) that it's not so hot for EAX games. Apparently Creative holds the patent on EAX and if you play many games then you'll want a Creative card. The ASUS card emulates EAX but not very well by what the forums say. Again, I can't compare as I don't play games.

ASUS Xonar DX works out of the box on Linux and for such a cheap card has a pretty terrific DAC and all around specs. I highly recommend it if all you want it for is music and movies.

Just add a pair of SENNHEISER HD555 and you'll be in bliss.::lol:

The Asus card is on sale for $79.99 w/ free shipping and a $20 (US) mail-in rebate at newegg right now if your interested.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … -_-Product

Some Reviews:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha … eview.html
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ha … eview.html
http://techreport.com/articles.x/14500

Edit:
Sorry I just caught you were in Germany. It's an older card so I don't think it would be to much trouble finding a deal for it on the web. I use newegg a lot so I just naturally mentioned it.

Last edited by harryNID (2010-07-27 22:13:44)

In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason backward. That is a very useful accomplishment, and a very easy one, but people do not practice it much. In the everyday affairs of life it is more useful to reason forward, and so the other comes to be neglected. There are fifty who can reason synthetically for one who can reason analytically.  --Sherlock Holmes

#6 2010-07-27 22:17:45

karol
Archivist

> The ASUS card emulates EAX but not very well
From ALSA webpage: EAX and Advanced sound options like crystalizer not available
Seems that you won't get EAX under Linux even if you buy a Creative card.

> Just add a pair of SENNHEISER HD555 and you'll be in bliss.
+1 big_smile

Online shopping ... Don't people _go_ to stores to buy things anymore?

Last edited by karol (2010-07-27 22:19:22)

#7 2010-07-27 23:44:13

Milena

Thanks again for the responses. Regarding the gaming, i have no other OS beside Arch but play some newer windows games in wine. I think wine doesn't support features such as surround sound or EAX anyway so my choice would go towards high music/movie sound quality instead of gaming features.

#8 2010-07-28 21:53:15

harryNID

> The ASUS card emulates EAX but not very well
From ALSA webpage: EAX and Advanced sound options like crystalizer not available
Seems that you won't get EAX under Linux even if you buy a Creative card.

Good info! Thanks for the heads up!! wink

Thanks again for the responses. Regarding the gaming, i have no other OS beside Arch but play some newer windows games in wine. I think wine doesn't support features such as surround sound or EAX anyway so my choice would go towards high music/movie sound quality instead of gaming features.

If that is the case then my vote would be for the ASUS card.  It handles both movies and music especially well.  I would be willing to stake a guarantee that you will like it but people's taste vary so I come just shy of saying it.

If you are interested in this card also be aware that you have to manually mute and unmute the front port (for headphones or VOIP) and switch it off when not in use (to hear sound out of the front left and right speakers). It won't auto-switch as I suppose some cards can but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Also it won't decode DTS (it's big brother the DX2 can however). Other than those few minor things I have nothing but praise for this card. I will leave it there and perhaps you will get some more subjective reviews about other cards.

Note: If you decide to get a real new card make sure there is support for it or you might be having to do a lot of work to get it to run.

In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able to reason backward. That is a very useful accomplishment, and a very easy one, but people do not practice it much. In the everyday affairs of life it is more useful to reason forward, and so the other comes to be neglected. There are fifty who can reason synthetically for one who can reason analytically.  --Sherlock Holmes

#9 2010-07-28 22:02:22

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

A vote for the Asus cards too (I have a Xonar Essence STX myself). I'm not a fan of Creative cards, if only because of the company's deplorable record when it comes to Linux support, and the Asus cards are built around a C-Media Oxygen, which is regarded as a good sound chip. Asus got an exclusivity contract with them, but  you can find older cards that use that chip too (not from Asus). If you're not into hardcore Windows gaming, then a fancy Creative card with all those hardware effects is of little value to you.

Most of those Asus cards have good support on Linux - you can check the ALSA documentation online to see how well it is supported. Mine runs just fine, and support was added quite quickly after it came out.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer