You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-28 16:08:43

Vamp898
Website

GNOME 3 in March 2011

And agian resheduled xD

maybe GNOME3 will be released together with Hurd and Duke Nukem Forever xD

Last edited by Vamp898 (2010-07-28 16:09:59)

#2 2010-07-28 16:14:28

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: GNOME 3 in March 2011

I know its a big project and all, but posting a link would be good smile. Don't think very many here are seriously anticipating it though.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-07-28 16:24:55

Vamp898
Website

Its the first News on the GNOME Homepage smile http://www.gnome.org/press/releases/201 … duled.html

Dont you guys have an RSS Reader?

Last edited by Vamp898 (2010-07-28 16:27:08)

#4 2010-07-28 16:38:41

karol
Archivist

> Dont you guys have an RSS Reader?
I do, but I'm not R. Scobble so I have only a couple feeds in there.

Thanks for the info about Gnome 3.

#5 2010-07-28 16:50:08

wonder
Developer
Website

Vamp898 wrote:

And agian resheduled xD

maybe GNOME3 will be released together with Hurd and Duke Nukem Forever xD

to be fair i'm happy that they did that. they don't want turn gnome 3.0 in what kde 4.0 was

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#6 2010-07-28 18:24:11

Vamp898
Website

with the difference that GNOME 3.0 is a stable release where KDE 4.0/4.1 was a developer release.

They resheduled it only becease GUADEC showed how unuseable the GNOME-Shell is. They wrote the GNOME-Shell how every JS Programm is written. Fast, unclean with a short lifetime. A Desktop Environment just shouldn´t be written like that.

KDE got the curve with 4.2 release and now the 4.5 release is going to be released soon and it looks just awesome where GNOME 3.0 mainly (and really everyone will prove that) is just one step forward and two steps back...

now Ubuntu, GNOME and a lot of projects have to change there release notes. GNOME really needs something like a structure.

KDE introduces feature freeze before the first beta, GNOME after the 6th/last beta.... without organistaion they will just never reach there goal...

In the end GNOME3 will exactly end like KDE 4.0 did with the difference that GNOME3 is a stable release...

Last edited by Vamp898 (2010-07-28 18:25:03)

#7 2010-07-28 18:34:58

Skripka

wonder wrote:

to be fair i'm happy that they did that. they don't want turn gnome 3.0 in what kde 4.0 was

They need to hire a PR person. 

Lots of folks confused about Gnome Shell, and Gnome3...lots of folks on the internetz screaming they'll switch to E18 than use Gnome Shell based on nothing more than screencaps of development betas...then there's Mutter, and Clutter and all this other stuff that to be honest I don't have a clue how it integrates or does not with the Metacity/Compiz/GTk etc.

KDE4 at least you knew what stuff was-and you knew it was a compatibility break.  With all the back and forward, I honestly don't have a clue if Gnome 2.30 will be Gnome3 and thus "Gnome3" is really just a rename (like they said 6-8 months ago IIRC) or if that has changed yet again.

Last edited by Skripka (2010-07-28 18:46:23)

#8 2010-07-28 18:50:15

karol
Archivist

> They need to hire a PR person.
PR instead of R&D? Not good.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I don't use any DE so maybe sb will enlighten (pardon the pun) me what am I missing out? What's wrong w/ the current state of Gnome? Spare some links?

[OT]
http://www.enlightenment.org/ <- the diagram in the bottom left corner is simply unreadable
[/OT]

#9 2010-07-28 18:57:27

Skripka

karol wrote:

> They need to hire a PR person.
PR instead of R&D? Not good.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I don't use any DE so maybe sb will enlighten (pardon the pun) me what am I missing out? What's wrong w/ the current state of Gnome? Spare some links?

[OT]
http://www.enlightenment.org/ <- the diagram in the bottom left corner is simply unreadable
[/OT]

I don't deny that R&D is needed....but when there is widespread mass confusion about the path of your product and future (in)compatibility with current components, such that lots of long time users are declaring their intent to abandon-ship before your product is even at beta status....you have a (big) problem.

[OT] PS-That diagram on the Enlightenment page is VERY similar to diagrams Apple has produced in official literature that describe the relationship of Mach/Aqua/OpenGL/Carbon/Cocoa/Apps.  I presume the E people mean the same lesson to be taken away. [/OT]

#10 2010-07-28 19:00:04

Vamp898
Website

GNOME 3 isn´t just a rename

GTK+3 comes with GNOME 3 so a lot of GTK+ applications wont work that good anymore in case of removed deprecated symbols

The main problem of GNOME isnt the GNOME-Shell. In fact they dont care about if its usable or not becease they like it and thats what count for them. The main problem why they resheduled is becease the most applications still hard-depend on GTK+2

You would need to install GTK+2 in addition to GTK+3 so it will end like with KDE 4.0 where you needed KDElibs 3+4 to have all applications.

They just dont have a little piece of organisation and thats why they resheduled. If they say "Hey Evolution Develeopers!!! We release GNOME 3 with GTK+3 and 50% of Evolution is deprecated code then, take care" the Evolution developers say "I dont care i have more important things to do to add new fancy features like other mail apps have and to make it faster/stable and so on"

The Developers dont have a real timeplan. When the future freeze is 1-2 months before the release, how can they make the new features stable/finished + remove 50% of deprecated code (and a lot of deprecated code even have no replacement right now). Either they make there own feature-freeze/roadmap or they just dont have enough time. Just take a look at Swell-Foop and Lightsoff and how buggy they are even if they are 90% graphical animations.

its just a mess at all and the plans of GNOME3 shows that all up.

They way how GNOME workt until now was good but GNOME3 isnt just a new Version, thats the problem. Until now there werent that much new features so the way of feature freeze and so on was very fine.

But with GNOME3 there comes so much new stuff that there current way of release doesn´t work with that

Last edited by Vamp898 (2010-07-28 20:08:51)

#11 2010-07-28 20:21:29

drcouzelis
Website

Here are some more recent GNOME Shell mockups from the GNOME git repository:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell … indows.png
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell … picker.png
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-shell … picker.png

I think the problem I had with the older (current) version of GNOME Shell is that it seems to hide EVERYTHING, until you click a single "Activities" button, which then shows you EVERYTHING.

These mockup photos seem better, but it still seems like the wrong approach to me.

I think my biggest problem with GNOME Shell is, I don't understand how the developers expect people to manage their windows. According to those screenshots, it appears that there are no minimize buttons. If that's the case, then that's fine. Maybe they expect people to shove a window to another workspace when they don't want to look at it at the moment. That's fine too, but it better be very easy to do and take only one click to do it.

Has window management for GNOME 3 explained anywhere?

#12 2010-07-28 20:45:47

Vamp898
Website

No. Thats one of the reasions why it was resheduled too. Right now you only have alt+tab which is just a horrible way to switch fast between a lot of windows.

And i update to the recent GIT Version every week, i can say for sure that these are just experiments. Right now the GNOME-Shell looks like it did in 2.28 (except some minor changes)

#13 2010-07-29 00:47:23

combuster
Website

Well, quite frankly - I don't care about rescheduling Gnome 3. I don't want it as a paper launch - all gnome apps (not the 3rd party ones) should be ported to GTK3 b4 Gnome 3 comes to life.

As for gnome-shell - I wouldn't touch that with a 5 feet pole, let alone use it, as long as metacity lives - I'm a happy Gnome user. As always looking forward to improvements in Evolution/Epiphany and the rest of the gnome apps. I just wish gtk themes aren't breaking as often as they do now, that BadMatch bug is going on my nerves, hope they will fix it in time for 2.32.

/edit: these mockups looks a lot better than what gnome shell looks now, that idiotic idea where all apps are thrown in one big a** menu is really - I don't have a word for that...

Last edited by combuster (2010-07-29 00:48:44)

#14 2010-07-29 01:07:30

karol
Archivist

> that idiotic idea where all apps are thrown in one big a** menu is really - I don't have a word for that...
Windows had 'Applications' menu where all the apps resided ;-)

#15 2010-07-29 01:32:08

upsidaisium
Website

combuster wrote:

/edit: these mockups looks a lot better than what gnome shell looks now, that idiotic idea where all apps are thrown in one big a** menu is really - I don't have a word for that...

Simple? Elegant (*if done well)? That's how dmenu works and I, along with many other people, use it with no problems smile

If Gnome took a similar approach to creating a menu I'm sure it could work well, providing there is a clever way to quickly find and select the menu item you're looking for. It could be keyboard driven (like dmenu where you just start typing the name of the menu item), or it could automagically populate the menu so that the apps you use the most often are at the top.

(But of course I wouldn't want to click on the menu and then have to drag down a scrollbar that's a mile long to find the menu item I'm looking for)

Vamp898 wrote:

No. Thats one of the reasions why it was resheduled too. Right now you only have alt+tab which is just a horrible way to switch fast between a lot of windows.

If you make use of workspaces then you're not likely to run into this problem. AFAIK Gnome has a keybinding to change workspaces -- so it's as simple as selecting the workspace you want, and then alt-tabbing through a manageable (i.e. smaller) number of windows.

Last edited by upsidaisium (2010-07-29 01:33:40)

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#16 2010-07-29 01:55:22

karol
Archivist

@ upsidaisium
I too use dwm + dmenu but some people want pretty icons and love using the rodent - I see nothing wrong with that. I can't use those GnomeShell mockups because I would get lost. I don't need 'windows' - I have tags. If I want to run 'foo' I type 'foo' in dmenu. I keep my settings in text files.

I'm not sure how much do you need to start an app / change some settings:
- a 'Run' box,
- a hierarchical menu, balanced well enough you don't have to dig down to 11th level to fire up that editor,
- a dock for your favorite apps (+ a section in the menu that keeps the recently used ones at hand).

Next comes session and window management.

#17 2010-07-29 09:26:00

combuster
Website

Well I've used dmenu and i like it (lil' horizontal bar - press first key and get the list of what u want) but this is scrolling through ONE container with a bunch of big app icons - the workaround is to use alt+f2 but then again what's the use of applications menu in the first place.

Board footer