You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-09 15:20:47

zen_guerrilla

Is it time for ALSA on AL ?

Hello,
kernel-2.6.0 is getting ready (propably out around xmas), so I'd suggest to begin recompiling stuff with "--with-alsa", so that AL will be ready for 2.6. My suggestion is to remove the dep for alsa-driver from alsa-lib, since alsa-driver is included in 2.6 & also in case someone'd keep 2.4/oss without having extra modules installed.
Then have audio apps depend only on alsa-lib.
Users/devs pls consider my suggestion & provide feedback.
I'm willing to help with pkg re-compilation to speed things up...

#2 2003-10-09 15:36:20

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Is it time for ALSA on AL ?

Packages should already depend on alsa-lib and not alsa-driver.  alsa-lib depends on alsa-driver and, if we wanted, we could make kernel-2.6.0 (if that's what it's called) provides=(alsa-driver).  Then there's no change that's needed at all.  Everything just keeps working.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2003-10-09 15:40:05

sarah31
Website

most packages that have alsa support options in configure or those packages which already auto configure alsa are currently being switched over as they are rebuilt. slowly all packages that support specific options will be fully switched over ( i no longer compile alsa out of specific applications and i change the deps at that time). as for the driver dep change...that will be changed when 2.6 is adopted into the package repos.

there is still lots of time to prepare for 2.6 changes so the need to fast track alsa support at this time is not really necessary (imho). especially since release dates are nothing concrete. they had set all sorts of final release dates for both 2.4 and 2.6 and never once met them.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2003-10-09 16:32:59

zen_guerrilla

Xentac wrote:

we could make kernel-2.6.0 (if that's what it's called) provides=(alsa-driver)

I forgot the provides option...

Xentac wrote:

Then there's no change that's needed at all.  Everything just keeps working.

Check Sarah's answer.
A quick

grep -R -- "--without-alsa" /var/abs/*

returns :
arts, kdelibs,kdemultimedia,aumix. Same way but with "--disable-alsa" returns:
esd,xine-lib,mplayer,multimedia.
Also libao should get recompiled and depend on alsa-lib. Note that I haven't dig it deeper...:).

sarah31 wrote:

there is still lots of time to prepare for 2.6 changes so the need to fast track alsa support at this time is not really necessary (imho).

I don't disagree with you, however the pkg repositories on arch keep on growing, so it's easier to begin now, or else we'll face the same situation of openssl-0.9.7 when it's time...

#5 2003-10-09 16:57:05

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Oh wait, you were talking about including alsa support with packages... hehehe.  That's already being done.  You should have suggested it like... 3 weeks ago... then it might have been original  wink

I thought you were talking about changing around the way the alsa dependencies were set up.  Those things will work the way they are with a simple upgrade (to alsa-lib or the kernel package... whichever it is decided needs it).

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#6 2003-10-09 17:06:52

zen_guerrilla

Xentac wrote:

That's already being done.  You should have suggested it like... 3 weeks ago... then it might have been original  wink

ArchLinux: The distro, where things move fast & you feel dumb for your suggestions big_smile.

#7 2003-10-09 17:13:46

sarah31
Website

yeah there are a few to switch over yet but like i said before all new packages will likely include alsa support configure options when (required). So hopefully it will just be a matter of "catching" up on the ones you listed. I actually would not be surprised if the packages you listed have changes just before or shortly after the kernel release that autocompiles alsa support (if present on the users system) with --without-alsa as an option for those who still refuse to use alsa even when 2.6 is released.

though we are already keeping alsa in mind it was good to bring this point to light. As the kernel release approaches i am sure we will fastrack our work on any packages we missed.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#8 2003-10-09 17:16:13

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

zen_guerrilla wrote:

ArchLinux: The distro, where things move fast & you feel dumb for your suggestions big_smile.

I'm just bugging you.  It's been a tough week.  Gotta take it out on someone.  tongue

- Blaise Pascal

#9 2003-10-09 17:56:38

zen_guerrilla

No offence taken, I was just joking (till I find your address big_smile).

Board footer