You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-06 05:32:43

badger

jEdit startup problem, advice sought

Hi,
whenever I run jEdit it takes a bit over 3 minutes to start. This has occured to me for versions 4.2, 4.3pre2 (most recent), j2dk/j2re 1.5.0_01-1 (most recent Arch version) and with 1.5.0_02 (most recent version).
It seems to be waiting for something, then timing out. From strace:

stat64("/opt/java/jre/bin/java", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0755, st_size=63664, ...}) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [INT CHLD], [], 8) = 0
clone(child_stack=0, flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGCHLD, child_tidptr=0xb7d7d708) = 32425
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [CHLD], [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [CHLD], [], 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {0x80731c0, [], 0}, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0
waitpid(-1, initialized
realize
exit
[error] main: /usr/share/themes/Gorilla/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:46: 
[error] main: Engine "industrial" is unsupported, ignoring
[error] main: /usr/share/themes/Gorilla/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:57: 
[error] main: /usr/share/themes/Gorilla/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:121: 

It is just after the realize line that it waits (usually for about 3 minutes and 15 seconds). I've tried different GTK2 themes, but observed no change in the slow startup. When I use the Default theme startup is still slow but the error messages about an unsupported theme engine don't occur.
I'm not using Gnome as a desktop environment (am using either wmi or wmii), and for what it's worth the slow startup happens in KDE, and as a different user.

So, can anyone diagnose the problem? Or suggest a way I can gather more information about where it is getting stuck? The symptoms are so vague I'm having a problem searching for a solution.

Thanks in advance.

cheers

Edit: spelling & grammar

#2 2005-04-06 15:17:21

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: jEdit startup problem, advice sought

the only solutions I've been able to find have to do with ati setup.... do you, by chance, have an ati card? maybe java can't access the rendering stuff *shrug*

#3 2005-04-06 15:49:58

badger

Nope, no ATI card (just an old Matrox G400). I just wish strace/jedit/the jre would tell me what's happening, I am ignorant of a good way to find out.

Thanks for the idea, I'll cast my eyes over my X setup anyway. I should also have said that other Java programs seem fine.

cheers

#4 2005-04-06 15:58:58

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

the only thing I could possibly think to check: I don't know whereabouts jedit stores it's plugins and macros and things like that, and if you have any custom ones installed or not, but I would maybe try moving all plugins/macros/things loaded on startup to a temporary location and trying again...

I know vim will do the same thing, as I screwed up a plugin I was writing and vim would just hang on startup (I actually didn't kill it and it started up about 10 minutes later)

let me know if that helps

#5 2005-04-06 17:19:28

badger

Good idea, unfortunately no change (wiped the ~/.jedit dir, wiped CLASSPATH, tried to make sure no old installed jedit files laying around, got rid of everything from /usr/share/jedit43 except jedit.jar and ran it directly).

I'll be asking the jedit community presently and update here if I ever come across a solution.

Thanks for your input phrakture!

cheers

Board footer