You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-22 22:32:07

bkase

[SOLVED] Size/Filesystems for partitions? (I'm reinstalling)

Hello.
I am reinstalling my Arch system since I want LUKS/dm-crypt

Anyway I really messed up my partitions before, and I've done some reading. Here is what I was thinking:
I have 150GB for winblows NTFS (which I should probably shrink since I RARELY use it)
350GB left:

/boot --> ext2 --> 100MB
/ --> btrfs --> 20GB
/tmp --> tmpfs --> 32MB of RAM
/var  --> reiserfs --> 10GB
/var/cache/ --> tmpfs --> any RAM
/var/tmp/ --> tmpfs --> any RAM
/home --> btrfs --> The Rest GB

btrfs wiki says that dm-crypt/LUKS works with btrfs as long as you disable write-caching (which I can't seem to find a definition for)
I have backed up all my data using cp -a to an external drive. Can I change my system without doing a full reinstall? (Well I will try now, and will

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I changed this post completely.
I decided that if btrfs is no longer experimental, then it's stable enough to use.
I'll keep a 1TB xfs partition on my external harddrive for data-backup just in case btrfs decides to do something stupid.

EDIT2: So far LUKS/dm-crypt seems to be working well with btrfs. On IRC I was told that the write-caching problem is no longer a problem, so I just used the compress option.
Also I used archboot to reinstall. It worked great. The one problem I had was that /arch/setup wasn't recognizing $arch. (A fix is to add "Architecture = auto" to the options section in pacman_conf() in /arch/setup)

Last edited by bkase (2010-07-23 23:08:47)

#2 2010-07-30 10:44:06

tpowa
Developer

Re: [SOLVED] Size/Filesystems for partitions? (I'm reinstalling)

New archboot iso files don't suffer from this issue anymore, with architecture = auto

#3 2010-07-30 13:54:12

Stebalien
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Size/Filesystems for partitions? (I'm reinstalling)

/var/cache should not be tmpfs; it holds caches that should span system reboots.
--> If you make this tmpfs, it will become much harder to downgrade broken packages in pacman if you reboot after upgrading.
--> AFIK, automatically clearing /var/cache/ldconfig is probably not a good idea.

/var/tmp should (probably) also not be tmpfs; it is meant to be a temporary directory that spans reboots.
--> This is less critical; as a matter of fact, nothing on my system uses /var/tmp.

You probably don't need a 10GB /var (maybe 2-5 GB).

32MB for /tmp is a little small.

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

Board footer