You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-25 15:48:46

nerditup

[SOLVED] GRUB Issues When Installing From USB Source

I have recently made the switch to Arch Linux with hopes to using as a back-end to my HTPC. However, when installing the latest net-ISO image, I can make it to the final step "Install Bootloader" and it will fail.

Since I'm installing to a RAID device, I've followed the wiki here - http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … AID_or_LVM, and I've meticulously followed everything. When I get to the part where one would install GRUB on the primary hard drive, I just choose the menu option in AIF. After setting up the configuration file with (hd0,0) and making the root set to the LVM array, I then get an error 17 (I believe it's 17) and GRUB doesn't get installed.

TTY7 shows that it has failed at all three steps.

root (hd0,0) - Unknown filesystem, unable to mount
setup (hd0) - Unknown filesystem, unable to mount

Now I've tried to manually setup GRUB by opening it in the terminal, and it just outputs the same thing (obviously since it's the same thing just automated).

I've partitioned my drive with a RAID1 /boot partition as being the first partition and it's 100MB on each drive.

Would it need to be larger? Is it because I'm booting from USB?

I don't have an IDE interface on my motherboard (mini-ATX) and I have no SATA optical drives, so I'm out of luck when using another medium.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated!

Edit: Sorry for the vague specifics, I'm at work and unable to get specific errors and error codes. I'll update once I get home if necessary!

Last edited by nerditup (2010-06-11 00:11:01)

#2 2010-05-26 11:04:53

nerditup

Re: [SOLVED] GRUB Issues When Installing From USB Source

Any issue I had with GRUB was that I didn't use metadata v0.90. When installing GRUB to my RAID1 /boot partition, I needed to specify mdadm to use metadata 0.90 when creating the array. (mdadm --create --metadata=0.90 /dev/hd1 /dev/hda1 /dev/hdb1) It's also important to note that the RAID0 partition can use any version of metadata.

Last edited by nerditup (2010-05-26 11:08:03)

#3 2010-07-30 23:08:03

kulpae

Re: [SOLVED] GRUB Issues When Installing From USB Source

thx, that helped me wink

Board footer