You are not logged in.

#26 2010-07-28 09:10:12

Ari'osika

Re: Arch Linux Afterglow Edition

kmason, nice idea. I was just wondering does ALAE "build" from the miminal install, or does it "take-over-your-system-and-configure-it-to-ALAE's-settings"??

If you're reading this; you're awesome.

#27 2010-07-28 12:50:33

Labello
Website

this looks way to cool! really nice desktop :3

i am eager to try it but just recently went to openbox for my netbook :-(

Edit:
you should add a sys-tray smile although it will most certainly break the pretty consistent look...

Last edited by Labello (2010-07-28 12:54:11)

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#28 2010-07-28 13:05:34

kmason
Website

Ari'osika - ALAE takes a fresh install, without any users besides root (this is important as well), and configures it to ALAE's settings.
Labello - Thanks.  A systray is in there, its just not seen in the screenshot as at the moment of taking the shot I didn't have any systray apps launched.

#29 2010-07-28 13:11:06

Japanlinux

Yay! a project that uses pekwm. I'm a fan of the wm, so it's good to see it getting attention. Quick question before I test this out. does this install on a 32bit/64bit system?

#30 2010-07-28 13:12:33

kmason
Website

It should install on both 32 bit and 64 bit systems.  I made it so that it checks what architecture you are using in places that need it using uname -m.

#31 2010-07-28 13:21:19

dcc24

The script is still broken. I'm testing it on a fresh Arch install in a VirtualBox image. It fails at line 106:

afterglow-install.sh: line 106: syntax error near unexpected token ')'
afterglow-install.sh: line 106: '           "ATI")'

Edit: The script has many more errors throughout. I've tested it completely, but didn't have time to document all the problems. I think you should test it yourself as well.

Last edited by dcc24 (2010-07-28 15:21:03)

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)

My AUR packages

#32 2010-07-28 15:11:23

syltman

This looks and sounds very cool, might try it out on a completely fresh install just for the heck of it once I get home on saturday/friday.

#33 2010-07-28 15:26:19

kmason
Website

dcc24 wrote:

The script is still broken. I'm testing it on a fresh Arch install in a VirtualBox image. It fails at line 106:

afterglow-install.sh: line 106: syntax error near unexpected token ')'
afterglow-install.sh: line 106: '           "ATI")'

Edit: The script has many more errors throughout. I've tested it completely, but didn't have time to document all the problems. I think you should test it yourself as well.

I think I may have fixed it, but I need to test it first, which I can easily do now that you reminded me of virtualbox.

#34 2010-07-28 15:27:20

dcc24

kmason wrote:

I think I may have fixed it, but I need to test it first, which I can easily do now that you reminded me of virtualbox.

Great. Also, you are doing a really good job with this script, keep it up smile

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)

My AUR packages

#35 2010-07-28 17:04:41

kmason
Website

Okay, I did some testing, and after finding even more bugs and fixing them, I think its safe for you guys to test it now.  Keep in mind I only tested with the selection of an intel card.

Also, I found that this probably works better with an install that had selected the base-devel group of packages to install as well, as  pekwm-opacity (in the AUR) has some dependencies that are fulfilled from there, but, IIRC, they aren't fulfilled in the PKGBUILD.

#36 2010-07-28 18:53:53

ancleessen4
Website

sorry mate-same error as before....
I am really interested in this-we need some script kiddies!

P.S. base-devel installed.

Last edited by ancleessen4 (2010-07-28 18:54:58)

#37 2010-07-28 19:20:01

72linus
Website

Hello!
Exactly what does the script do?
Please explain?
Thanks

#38 2010-07-28 20:58:58

kmason
Website

ancleessen4 wrote:

sorry mate-same error as before....
I am really interested in this-we need some script kiddies!

P.S. base-devel installed.

Aw, bummer, yeah, someone to take a look at the script itself would be rather nice.

72linus wrote:

Hello!
Exactly what does the script do?
Please explain?
Thanks

Well, its supposed to do the following, in order, on a freshly installed Arch with no users other than root:

1. Update Pacman and everything else installed by the AIF.
2. Install X.
3. Install Graphics Drivers depending on user selection (it prompts you for what graphics chipset you have).
4. Install X Input Modules.
5. Set up useful services (dbus gamin hal networkmanager).
6. Put config files and such needed for the default look and feel of the Afterglow Environment in the /etc/skel directory, which will put them into the home directory of all users created afterwards.
7. Create a user and set its password.
8. Install alsa and set it up.
9. Edit the daemons array in /etc/rc.conf to the following:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network @NetworkManager crond @alsa hal @bluetooth slim @sshd)

10. Add Xyne's xyne-any repository for installing bauerbill, and install bauerbill, to enable installing from the AUR. (BTW: Xyne also made the framework that I used for the website, kudos to him for the excellent work).
11. Install PekWM with the opacity fix.
12. Install the skippy-xd expose'-style window switcher and xcompmgr/xcompmgr-dana.
13. Install a collection of applications to be used.
14. Install GIMP and Inkscape, at least if the user answers "Y" to the prompt.
15. Install a build of surf that I modified to the project's specifications.
16. Install a few things that will make stuff look better, such as the gnome icon theme (although its not the default icon theme, it is the fallback theme), fonts, and necessary gtk engines for the theme used to work properly.
17. Copy/Symlink icon theme, fonts and such from the home directory to the proper directories for system-wide usage.
18. Ask the user if they would like to install CUPS and an assortment of printer drivers, and if they do, install them.
19. For 32-bit systems, ask the user if they would like to install flash, and if they do, install it.
20. Ask the user if they would like to be able to play encrypted dvds, and if they do, install the proper codecs.
21. Reboot after all that is done.

#39 2010-07-28 21:18:58

72linus
Website

I would love to try it on my arch testing install x86
what do I do?

Also, have you thought of making an Afterglow LiveCD/USB?
If so I will host it?

#40 2010-07-28 21:34:10

kmason
Website

To try it out, simply do this, though make sure its a fresh install of Arch with no users other than root:

wget http://afterglowlinux.co.cc/x/archlinux-afterglowedition.tar.gz
tar -xzf archlinux-afterglowedition.tar.gz
cd archlinux-afterglowedition
sh ./afterglow-install.sh

Also, I have thought about making a LiveCD/USB, and even tried it before, but I realized its probably beyond the scope of my abilities as of now.  The farthest I've gotten was accidentally making one that copied everything I installed onto a DVD, including my user account >.<.

Thanks for the interest.

Last edited by kmason (2010-07-28 21:35:10)

#41 2010-07-28 21:40:36

72linus
Website

Hey
OK, do I need to uninstal X and whatever?
currently I have fluxbox....
I have no issue uninstalling it etc but need to know exactly what to uninstall?

Also, it is very easy to make LiveCD....
So, you can make it or I can make it?
I would prefer you make itas them it would look like what you want?
I have the livecd kit ready so if you are willing I am able...

#42 2010-07-28 23:16:27

kmason
Website

72linus wrote:

Hey
OK, do I need to uninstal X and whatever?
currently I have fluxbox....
I have no issue uninstalling it etc but need to know exactly what to uninstall?

Also, it is very easy to make LiveCD....
So, you can make it or I can make it?
I would prefer you make itas them it would look like what you want?
I have the livecd kit ready so if you are willing I am able...

I would try it on a virtual machine, such as virtualbox, if the install you have is already configured.

#43 2010-07-30 08:46:00

Japanlinux

I tried this out today, but I had an issue. I got all the way to the Graphics card part. I selected NVidia (option 2) and 2004+ (option 3) and it goes and installs it. Then it asks if I use dual monitors, but without allowing me to answer, it skips that and tries to create a xorg. After that it returns me to the NVidia option again. I continued, but it just loops me around again. I figure if it would allow me to answer the dual monitor thing, all would be well, alas...
I even aborted, rebooted and retried, but the same result.

Perhaps it's my computer's fault, but I thought I'd report this.

#44 2010-07-30 09:18:22

Ari'osika

kmason wrote:

Ari'osika - ALAE takes a fresh install, without any users besides root (this is important as well), and configures it to ALAE's settings.
Labello - Thanks.  A systray is in there, its just not seen in the screenshot as at the moment of taking the shot I didn't have any systray apps launched.

Ah okay, just "wunderin." Your script reminds of the (perl) script that I've written which does pretty much same thing (and then some). So if ya need any help.. wink

#45 2010-07-30 14:22:05

kmason
Website

Japanlinux wrote:

I tried this out today, but I had an issue. I got all the way to the Graphics card part. I selected NVidia (option 2) and 2004+ (option 3) and it goes and installs it. Then it asks if I use dual monitors, but without allowing me to answer, it skips that and tries to create a xorg. After that it returns me to the NVidia option again. I continued, but it just loops me around again. I figure if it would allow me to answer the dual monitor thing, all would be well, alas...
I even aborted, rebooted and retried, but the same result.

Perhaps it's my computer's fault, but I thought I'd report this.

Nah, this is an issue I fixed while testing it on my desktop with a similar setup (and thus the same options chosen for the Graphics card).  I just never got around to uploading the new revision I made while doing so.

Ari'osika - That would be awesome if you could help.  Would you still be able to help even if my script is made in Bash?

Also, if anyone has any experience with making a custom repo and LiveCDs (preferably installable), and would be able to help me do it, please let me know.  I would like to eventually take this project to the next level in that regard.

Last edited by kmason (2010-07-30 14:22:29)

#46 2010-07-30 16:07:07

anonymous_user

@kmason - for the LiveCD, try talking to some of the people from ArchBang like willxtreme  or sHyLoCk

#47 2010-07-30 21:33:43

72linus
Website

I have a livecd kit for both x86 and x86_64 ARCH here
http://multidistro.com/NFLUXNEW/SQ4/kki … -arch.html

thats why I said I prefer you to make it
and I'll host it till you find a place to host it,etc?

Last edited by 72linus (2010-07-30 21:34:20)

#48 2010-07-31 01:34:58

kmason
Website

Thanks, I'll look into that.  Hopefully I'll have better luck with this than I did Archiso and Larch.

I actually may already have a place to host it already - the same place I host my personal website and the website for this, which is shared hosting, but its unlimited bandwidth and storage space (at least monetarily).

#49 2010-07-31 06:16:22

Ari'osika

@kmason I probably still can.

**Takes a quick look-see of ALAE script**

Yep, I'm pretty confident I could. I'd just hafta learn a little more about bash programming, its syntatical constructs and nuances.

#50 2010-07-31 17:40:57

kmason
Website

Ari'osika wrote:

@kmason I probably still can.

**Takes a quick look-see of ALAE script**

Yep, I'm pretty confident I could. I'd just hafta learn a little more about bash programming, its syntatical constructs and nuances.

Cool.  When I get the updated script up later today would you be able to take a look at it and see if you can spot any errors?

Board footer