You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-31 22:58:02

lagagnon
Website

[Solved] Cannot detect camera with udev, only with HAL.

I have removed HAL as I realize it is being deprecated and HAL also created issues with frequent 2-3 second HDD access. I have managed to get udev and pcmanfm to detect and mount pen drives using the udev wiki and new rules.

However, my digital camera is not detected, nor even assigned a device name (unless I use HAL).

Output from "tail -f /var/log/messages.log" after insertion of camera:

Jul 31 15:49:02 eagle kernel: usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9

Note udev does NOT assign even a device name. The camera is also not detected via "lsusb". Therefore, without a device name I cannot use:

# udevadm info -a -p $(udevadm info -q path -n [device name])

to even begin writing udev rules.

EDIT and PS: I have copied the /lib/gphoto ruleset file to /etc/udev/rules.d and restarted udev to no effect as well.
EDIT(2): This problem is now "partly" solved. I can detect the camera using "gphoto2" command line, but only as root, so the problem appears to be a udev permission problem, which for some reason HAL did not have.
EDIT(3): Added myself to "camera" group, copied permissions line to libgphoto rules in /etc/udev/rules.d as per camera wiki and problem solved.

It seems that changing over to udev at the moment is not exactly straight forward. I still cannot get automounting of CDROM drive either - but will get there eventually. (I hope udev becomes more user friendly than HAL, because at the moment HAL wins on that front!).

Last edited by lagagnon (2010-07-31 23:55:51)

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

Board footer